SBS 2011 baremetal backup/restore

ashman

Gawd
Looking at having to do this for a client, they had a drive fail in their server, raid 5, replacement fails on the rebuild every time at 53% (replacement drive is drive 1) its failing reading from drive 0, not sure why, dell doesn't know. Likely going onsite tomorrow to reseat the cable connecting the back plane to the raid controller and trying the rebuild one more time. Failing that I want a bare metal backup and the built in backup in SBS 2011 seems to be a good fit, however I understand it only supports 2TB drives and not drives with 4K sectors either. Just wondering what drives anyone can recommend, they have a compatibility list but its out of date. From what I have read via Google, it appears the bare metal backup and restore built into SBS 2011 is pretty easy to use and is the way to go. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Pretty much any drive works, we sometimes use the external WD Passport drives.
Backup (twice! :)
Then add one more drive, make it a raid 10 and restore from backup.
http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2010/06/11/how-to-perform-a-bare-metal-restore-on-small-business-server-2008.aspx

No, not pretty much any drive works, as he stated most all of the drives over 2TB do not work.

This is our go to drive we now order for all clients with a server older than server 2012: http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Ultra-Portable-External-Backup/dp/B00E055H5O

Restore is pretty straight forward, just boot from the SBS2011 disc and run the restore from the repair options.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, I guess I'll have to supply the raid controller drive in order for the restore to have a destination to restore to. Are those WD Passport Ultra drives 5400 or 7200RPM?

No, not pretty much any drive works, as he stated most all of the drives over 2TB do not work.

This is our go to drive we now order for all clients with a server older than server 2012: http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Ultra-Portable-External-Backup/dp/B00E055H5O

Restore is pretty straight forward, just boot from the SBS2011 disc and run the restore from the repair options.

Yes he did say that he already 'understands that it mostly supports 2TB drives and not drives with 4K sectors either'. So except -> those <-, pretty much any drive works.
Also, thanks for linking the WD Passport drive i mentioned! ;)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, I guess I'll have to supply the raid controller drive in order for the restore to have a destination to restore to. Are those WD Passport Ultra drives 5400 or 7200RPM?

It's 5400RPM

I picked up a WD Passport drive tonight, the backup is running now, although I had to run a command to upgrade sharepoint as the backup failed right away with a VSS error.

I picked up a WD Passport drive tonight, the backup is running now, although I had to run a command to upgrade sharepoint as the backup failed right away with a VSS error.

ah yes, the SharePoint vss error, well known

Still trying to get a backup using windows backups, getting VSS errors all over the place on this server, fortunately they don't use Exchange so I've stopped all those services and stopped all SQL services too as they only use those for Vipre and Backup Exec, so they can be turned off while I try and get a backup.

Has it been rebooted in awhile? That will fix issues with VSS sometimes as well.

I finally got a complete backup so all is good, whew. Gotta go in on Sunday and do the restore, yay.

Back