SB Live! 5.1 vs Audigy 2

Mojo

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, I'm soon buying new parts and was thinking about just salvaging my old sound card (SB Live 5.1) and using it in my next system. But now that I have some more cash I'm wondering if I should get an Audigy 2? Is there very much difference? I will be using Logitech z2200 or z5300 speakers and Sennheiser HD477 headphones.

I thought about the Audigy 2 ZS, but the only difference between the ZS and the regular is the ZS has 7.1 support while the regular has 6.1 support. So I don't need the ZS if I'll only be using 5.1 speakers at max. Correct?

I'm wondering if I should get an Audigy 2? Is there very much difference?
Yes, there is a major quality difference there. Lets not forget SNR either. You will actually be able to stand using your headphones with an Audigy2. :)

So I don't need the ZS if I'll only be using 5.1 speakers at max. Correct?
There are some other nice features the ZS card has that the Audigy2 doesn't.
If $$ is not an issue then buy the ZS card.

I upgraded from a Live Value (ecchhh!!) to a Audigy 2 ZS and there was definitely a very noticeable improvement in sound quality in virtually every way. X86Dude is not joking. I had a hard time using 497s with my old Live but they sounded considerably better with the Audigy 2 ZS (to the point that I switched to headphones as my main method of listening).

Originally posted by X86Dude
There are some other nice features the ZS card has that the Audigy2 doesn't.
What new features are available in the ZS that aren't included in the regular Audigy 2?

No. I don't play CS, my computer won't run it for some strange reason. My mouse goes all sticky and laggy for a reason I tried to figure out. Never got it working, one day I just went back to medal of honor and said hell with CS, lol.

If you wanna notice an even bigger difference shop around for a M-Audio Revolution 7.1 or one of Turtle Beach's new cards. 100000000000x better than Creative's offerings.

Mojo, by any chance, did you have it set to DirectX instead of OpenGL?

Originally posted by hooting_monkey
If you wanna notice an even bigger difference shop around for a M-Audio Revolution 7.1 or one of Turtle Beach's new cards. 100000000000x better than Creative's offerings.

Think you might be exaggerating just a tiny bit?

Also, do you have personal experience with Turtle Beach's new cards? It's my understanding that they don't have 24/96 DAC's and thus shouldn't have analog audio quality as good as Creative's.

I've got a crappy set of Creative Insprire 4.1, and recently got a very nice pair of Philips HP890 headphones.

Unfortunately, I'm still on a SB Live Value. :(
I'm thinking of the Audigy 2 ZS cause budget is tight, so the OEM version is a good deal to me.

The speakers are OK enough for me when playing games, but listening to music, the headphones really kickass. Will the Audigy 2 ZS give me a big boost in quality in listening to music?

Originally posted by evilnickwong
I've got a crappy set of Creative Insprire 4.1, and recently got a very nice pair of Philips HP890 headphones.

Unfortunately, I'm still on a SB Live Value. :(
I'm thinking of the Audigy 2 ZS cause budget is tight, so the OEM version is a good deal to me.

The speakers are OK enough for me when playing games, but listening to music, the headphones really kickass. Will the Audigy 2 ZS give me a big boost in quality in listening to music?

Yes, and a headhpone amp would be wonderful too.

Originally posted by MemoryInAGarden
Yes, and a headhpone amp would be wonderful too.

Hrm haven't really seen any headphone amps around my area except for this xCan Fidelity that's like US$440.

Originally posted by hooting_monkey

I've told you guys a 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 times not to exagerate! :p

Back