Sata connection question

boxterduke

Gawd
Hello,

I'm new to SATA drives configurations so please bare with me and thanks for understanding.

=========

I'm thinking of getting another SATA HD for storage.

I have the Asus P5K and have the boot SATA drive on SATA1. I have the SATA DVD drive on SATA4. See screenie.
http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/mobo.JPG

Now if I get another SATA HD, should I use the same data cable as the one that has the boot drive on it?
How would the computer know which drive to boot from if I connect the two drives on the same controller?

Is it better to plug in the new drive into another SATA controller?

SATA cables are end to end. one end plugs into your motherboard or controller, the other end into your harddrive or cd/dvd rom. PATA allows for two devices on one cable, SATA does not. Just plug the new sata HD into either SATA 2 or SATA 3. You will need a new cables, but the drive prolly comes with it, unless you get an OEM drive. Check out monoprice.com for cheap cheap cheap cables.

SATA cables are end to end. one end plugs into your motherboard or controller, the other end into your harddrive or cd/dvd rom.
Then how come my power supply (Corsair HX620) cables have three SATA connectors on them + the one that plug in the motherboard?

Thanks for the help.

Then how come my power supply (Corsair HX620) cables have three SATA connectors on them + the one that plug in the motherboard?

Those are the power cables. He was talking about the data cables, which are end-to-end.

Having more than one HDD does not hurt a SATA controller. Just go into the BIOS after connecting the second drive and tell it to boot to the HDD with vista on it. It's as easy as that!

Back