SATA CD-ROM not recognized by controller when set to raid/ahci for OS install.

keetha3

n00b
Hi all.

I am having a weird problem. The mobo is an IP35 Pro with ICH9R SB. I am trying to install my OS onto my new SSD (Intel G2) or any drive for that matter.

Whenever I set the controller to RAID or AHCI and set the first boot device to SATA CD-ROM, I get the generic "No system disk blah blah error" when I boot up. If I set the controller to IDE, it detects my OS disk and starts the install process.

The controller does see the CD-ROM. I can see it listed as an attached device when the screen flashes by for the controller and asks if you want to configure a RAID array.

I've done a lot of googling and don't see anything like this. It seems everyone can at least get the OS to start the install and then has other various issues.

Any thoughts?

Does the CD drive show up in the boot select menu (ie. press F8 or F12 or whatever it is for your mobo?)?

I don't even get that far because I don't have an OS installed yet. I don't see any drives in the BIOS when RAID/AHCI is turned on, but I do see them in the controller when I hit ctrl+I to configure.

I have that exact board at home and installed Win 7 on a new Intel G2 SSD over the weekend with no problems. I do have it specifically in AHCI mode too. One thing - there are 2 places to set AHCI mode in the BIOS in 2 different screens. Without having it in front of me I cannot tell you where but I'm guessing the second place to enable ahci might related to the jmicron e-sata controller.

I did notice that with it in AHCI mode the CD have another message before the typical "Press any key to boot from CD" message that pops up when there is a bootable Windows disc in the drive but it worked just fine.

I don't even get that far because I don't have an OS installed yet. I don't see any drives in the BIOS when RAID/AHCI is turned on, but I do see them in the controller when I hit ctrl+I to configure.

I'm talking about the BIOS boot device selection menu, not the Windows one... (and the one at boot time, not in the configuration menu).

MixMan, I am using the one for ICH9R, not Jmicron. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm starting to think it's an incompatibility between my cd-rom and the raid setting.

Keenan, in that case, yes, I do see it.

Keenan, in that case, yes, I do see it.

If you can see it there, you should be able to select it and boot from it. Otherwise I'd suspect either a BIOS bug, or the crappy JMicron controller you could have it connected to.

That could be. I'm not running any RAID levels. I cant think of the brand and model of the optical drive. The only drives are the SSD, the optical drive, and 2 640gb drives. All sata on the main controller.

I can select it, and it will boot from IDE. From AHCI or RAID, it doesn't seem to see the disk. I'm definitely thinking a BIOS bug or cd-rom incompatibility.

I am not connecting to the jmicron ports. Those are on the back on the board.

I can select it, and it will boot from IDE. From AHCI or RAID, it doesn't seem to see the disk. I'm definitely thinking a BIOS bug or cd-rom incompatibility.

I am not connecting to the jmicron ports. Those are on the back on the board.

I cant see why it might matter but I do have the jmicron controller totally disabled on mine since I don't have any use for the e-sata ports. Only other thing I can think to try would be to make sure you have the latest BIOS for the board and see if there might be a BIOS update for the optical drive.

Last resort - ditch any sort of raid and try it in pure AHCI mode instead of AHCI RAID mode. That or try a different optical drive like an external usb one just to do the install.

After fiddling a lot more and trying some other things, it seems Keenan was right. I realized that I should no longer choose "sata cd-rom" as the boot device, but the actual name of the cd-rom (which was in some secret code haha).

So now it get to the boot part and says:

Boot From AHCI CD-ROM :
1. NO EMULATION System Type- 00

Press any key to boot from CD or DVD

But when I press any key, it just hangs!

An update.

It seems most of my woes are somehow related to my Raptor drive. The OS installs (and runs) perfectly fine without it plugged in. Once I plug in the drive, however, the PC takes ~5 mins or more to boot and the same time to shut down. I also can't manipulate any drives in the Disk Management MMC; it just freezes.

I will troubleshoot this more tomorrow morning. Does anyone have any ideas in the mean time?

Solution and summary.

I narrowed the problem down to being the Raptor drive. On a whim, I decided to see if it still worked and if I could get my PC back to the state it was in before the SSD came in. I reinstalled my OS on the Raptor and everything was peachy. I then put the SSD back in and set it as the boot drive and... everything worked. I guess something was corrupt on the Raptor and it needed to be formatted.

Back