sas vs sas2 real world 'home' usage, any differences?

Saggy

Weaksauce
Just wondering, for real world home server usage, what is the difference between sas and sas2, that is 3gb vs 6gb? will you actually see the difference with software raid 6 on regular sata drives?
basically, would sas be the bottle neck here?

Unless you have a ssd or Raid setup (which is itself not limited by the bus) hard drives don't come close to saturating SATA II (3 Gbps), so its not really noticeable in real world use for most people.

Are you also referring to the client computer that interacting with the server?
So if I were to transfer some data from a desktop to the server, I would image the bottleneck here is the read speed on the desktop system?

Depends what you're transferring
If it's books your bottleneck is probably how fast you can read words formulated into sentences

Just wondering, for real world home server usage, what is the difference between sas and sas2, that is 3gb vs 6gb? will you actually see the difference with software raid 6 on regular sata drives?
basically, would sas be the bottle neck here?

I believe for hard drives the difference would only be seen when you use SAS expanders. I mean those devices that take a 4 port SAS and turn it into 20 to 36 ports. I would expect that even 15K SAS drives do not come close to 3GBit speeds. Just like SATA hard drives do not come close to SATA2 speeds.

op- it seems you may be confusing SAS and SATA. this might be a good time to do some reading.

no- you will not see a difference with regular consumer grade physical hard disks, between SATA2 and SATA3. regardless of RAID.

Back