SandyBridge i7-2600k - upgrade video card

steakman1971

2[H]4U
My current gaming rig/general use system is a few years old. I have a 2600k (i7 quad core), Nvidia 560 TI video card, 16 gigs of ram, etc.
I'm thinking about replacing the video card with something in the $300 range - the Nvidia 970 looks appealing. I'd also consider an AMD Radeon that is feature competitive.

Question - is my CPU going to be decently matched with a new GPU? I have not noticed any slow downs from my system at all - the 560 Ti is not bad, but newer games can't run with all the bells and whistles.

Your 2600k will handle a 970 with no issues. With a decent overclock, the 2600k still holds it's own.

Your 2600k will handle a 970 with no issues. With a decent overclock, the 2600k still holds it's own.
+1

I went from a 2600K at 4.8GHz to a 4790K at 4.6GHz and even in video editing I am really not seeing any difference besides in power consumption.

The Sandy Bridge chips are still amazing for gaming performance after all these years. I have the 2700+ overclocked and see no reason to upgrade my CPU even when I add the Fury X here in the future.

This is all music to my ears. I'm rocking a 2500k that I have sitting at 4.8 and a 7950 and was eyeballing the Fury X or 980ti just waiting for reviews to make a final choice.

I was pretty sure my 2500k would be okay but its good to hear it echoed from people with first hand experience with newer stuff.

Got mine clocked @4.5ghz and it's doing it's job nicely with my 970 sli. So you're good to go.

My 2600K seems to be fine feeding my 980Ti's, so you should be more than fine with a 970. Even dual 970s0 should you decide to go multi-card.

Nice - I really like my 2600k and see no need to upgrade it yet. I will now have to start watching prices...

4.5 ghz 2500K... so good why replace it? Once DX12 titles and windows 10 hits then the Sandy will be even better in newer games. Spend all your money on videocards. It's all that matters.

Sandy Bridge still kicks ass. The cpu itself still has more power than you ever need when overclocked. PCIe 2.0 bandwidth however may become an issue at some point in future if you go SLI/Xfire, which may force us to update our rigs...

2600k checking in, I looked into upgrading once and the performance gain to cost ratio was so bad that I haven't looked back.

Toss whatever you want at your 2600k and it shouldn't have any issue.

I upgraded from a 2600K @ 4.8 GHz to a 5930K @ 4.5 GHz. It made horse shit worth of difference except in 3dmarks.

Get a new card and enjoy it.

Sandy-Bridge is legendary. It'll last for another few years I suspect. Especially with single GPU solutions and W10 with future DX12 games.

Yes, son. Overclock that bad boy.
Sig.
And I'm throwing a 980ti or Fury X in there in the next few days...

Nothing but love from Sandy Bridge <3 <3 <3

Back