Samsung's 110-Inch MicroLED 4K Is Gorgeous

erek

[H]F Junkie
1607619449128.png

"The unit itself has a 99.99% screen-to-body ratio, with the black matrix and bezel removed, making for an immersive experience. Also onboard are some improved Smart TV features, such as MultiView. People can watch up to four sources of content on up to 55” sized split screens. This means you can connect a console, PC, and cable box all at the same time and enjoy content from them all. In theory, the unit’s “dynamic audio experience” should be able to handle these inputs as well. Samsung says it has a “Majestic Sound System that delivers breathtaking 5.1 channel sound with no external speaker,” but it is not often that we see great built-in speakers, so we will have to see how they sound when the MicroLED devices come out.

Samsung reports that the 110” MicroLED display will be available globally during Q1 2021, but we have no idea on pricing yet. This sort of technology is not likely to be cheap, but with the ever-decreasing price of displays and TVs, who knows? If you are a display enthusiast or just like the look of big screens, let us know what you think of this monster in the comments below."

https://hothardware.com/news/samsung-110-inch-microled-display

It's not the cost of the unit that bothers me, it's what happens when it fails or you want to replace it....I had to liquidate an old Mitsubishi 65" Rear Projector back in the late 00's and that was a colossal pain in the ass...380lbs of MDF and "Don't touch that CRT!" bullsheet.....personally, I'd get a projector to throw 110"....which, as it so happens, is what I did.

MicroLED is pretty exciting since it combines the best of OLED and LED/LCD. That said it is still probably 5-10 years before regular consumer TVs use this tech. The biggest issue other than price right now is getting these down to regular sizes (55-75”) with a resolution of 4K.

MicroLED is pretty exciting since it combines the best of OLED and LED/LCD.
And if that virtually 0 bezel is a MicroLED feature that a new extra feature those do not have, that open the door for a game change in multi monitor/multi gpu setup

Must be a small house. The TV'd be 8x4.5 feet in size, being able to dedicate that much space to a TV is one thing, but not having any 8 foot wide walls is something else.
4000sqft, but there'd have to be some serious rearranging of furniture to make a 8' viewing space even remotely viewable.

Well, they are slowly making this higher DPI...but meanwhile, the 8k OLED has 2.5 times that pixel density for 1/4 the price.

-Strelok,It's going to take a whole lot longer than 5-10 years to catch a swiftly-moving target :D

OLED basically took-over the gap left by plasma, but making the case for mass-producing this is going to be a lot harder.

Last edited:
4000sqft, but there'd have to be some serious rearranging of furniture to make a 8' viewing space even remotely viewable.
I have two walls in my living room where that unit could easily sit. Three if I dont mind blocking a window.

But that being said no I am not putting a TV thats a double digit percentage of the value of the home in said home.

4 x 55" split screens with different content, that would be a bit distracting. :unsure:
People have many large screen open at the same time during the NFL busy sundays, outside some traders/niche affair, sports watching for people that place many bets/fantasy league would be my guess for the "common" (only?) usage.

How is it watching something that large? I feel like I'd be parroting my head in a bunch of directions to watch everything on the screen.

And if that virtually 0 bezel is a MicroLED feature that a new extra feature those do not have, that open the door for a game change in multi monitor/multi gpu setup
I'll take 3 for a 330" display.

How is it watching something that large? I feel like I'd be parroting my head in a bunch of directions to watch everything on the screen.
You don't that's what makes it immersive like a cinema. The goal is to be enveloped.

My 65" barely made into my apartment. The elevator up to my apartment would struggle to fit it, maybe diagonally?

A serious projector will give better results at a third the price unless you are in broad daylight.

It's not really that big. If you sat 10 feet away it would be like being in the middle seats at a movie theater. Your peripheral vision is more full, but It isn't so big that it is exceeding your peripheral vision. So it's just a more immersive experience, any decent video is filmed so the focus is on the center of the screen anyways.

If you're using it as a monitor or for gaming it can be annoying though.

MicroLED will be my next upgrade for my OLED CX. As soon as you are able to buy a 65” MicroLED 8K for under $3000 that’s what I’ll be picking up. Guessing we’re still another 3 years away.

People have many large screen open at the same time during the NFL busy sundays, outside some traders/niche affair, sports watching for people that place many bets/fantasy league would be my guess for the "common" (only?) usage.

I am not a sports fan (despise them all) but doesn't the NFL limit the screen size you are legally allowed to view on? I remember hearing about that somewhere. No more than X people and Y screen size?

Hmm. If I get 4 of these and put them in a row, I can save money by not needing windows in my house? ;)

only 1200 here and yeah I could get that to fit on a wall no problem. bummer that it is only 4K though for that dough...

I think LG sold their first OLED in 2010. In 2015 they lowered prices to $4,000, 2020 55" models are almost down to $1000.

So if MicroLED progresses at the same rate it'll be around 5 years before they get to the normal high end market pricing then rapidly become cheaper every year after that.

We’ve had an 82” and currently a 75” and sit about 8 feet away. It’s wonderful. Once you get used to it, you find TV’s in the 40-50 something inch that a lot of people have to be laughable.

It seems excessive at first, but after a while you end up not wanting to go backwards. Even downgrading to 75” was a tough choice. But the price difference for the features we wanted was just too dramatic.

Back