Samsung XP941 M.2 SSD?

Zorn

Limp Gawd
Just recently saw Anandtech reviewed this bad boy. The speeds pretty much blow away anything else out there. Anyone get one of these yet? I'm in the process of moving to a Z97 chipset, and am highly considering ordering this drive. Any thoughts would be great. Wondering if I would notice the difference moving to this drive from my 3 year old Crucial M4.

Just recently saw Anandtech reviewed this bad boy. The speeds pretty much blow away anything else out there. Anyone get one of these yet? I'm in the process of moving to a Z97 chipset, and am highly considering ordering this drive. Any thoughts would be great. Wondering if I would notice the difference moving to this drive from my 3 year old Crucial M4.
I dont think anyone can tell the difference between lets say a X25 and 840, all ssds what you notice is the responsivness the 0 latency.... but between ssds its very hard to tell. For me its a welcome change the M.2 that now are binded to the PCIe 4x, and allow 1000mg/s, but not something that will make me upgrade, the only thing that will make me upgrade is a haswell E 8 core, all other stuff, including ssds are secondary.

The sequential transfer rates were great, but the other results didn't seem all that good.

So even with that huge difference in the speed, you guys don't think it would be noticeable?

So even with that huge difference in the speed, you guys don't think it would be noticeable?
The big increase are in sequential read n writes, so if you transfer a lot or have programs that benefit from sequential reads and writes, then you should gain a good upgrade as its practically twice the speed as the fastest Sata III ssd, but i dont think you will feel it on the daily basis on standard tasks, then again i dont own it and im only basing my conclusion into what i felt between the X25m and 840pro.

PS btw why are you moving to a Z97 board having a 3930K setup? Personally i would suggest to wait a couple of months for Haswell E 8 core + ddr4 + sata express.

First of all, to really use this SSD to it's maximum power you can use it natively on just one motherboard on the market - ASRock Z97 Extreme6 (it has a 4-lane PCI-E 3.0 M.2 connector by taking 4 of 16 CPU PCI-E lanes ). Of course you can use it on any other board with a PCI-E adapter, but then boot support is not guaranteed. On any other board, you will get only 2-lane PCI-E 2.0 M.2 connector.

Then there is the problem of availability, pretty much the only source for XP941 is Ramcity from Australia :
http://www.ramcity.com.au/upgrade/d...rives/80245?f9=M.2 NGFF PCIe SSD (2280)&rf=f9

I would say you won't notice much difference, but it can free up a SATA port on your motherboard depending on specific implementation.

There is also the soon-to-be-released new PCI-E SandForce controller, you could wait few weeks for it :
http://www.techpowerup.com/201004/adatas-flagship-m-2-ssd-pictured.html

To feel the speed you need to have a second computer, a 10GBe connection, and as much speed (from a similar SSD, or an array) on the other computer, then copy from one to the other.

Back