Samsung Updates 2018 TVs with FreeSync Support

If it were just an 'open standard/closed standard' thing, sure- but G-Sync is a superior implementation overall, and as stated on the PC, AMD hasn't bothered to really compete in that space anyway.
I think Freesync 2 is comprable to G-Sync. Freesync had close to zero requirements so monitor manufacturers were making these 45-60hz monitors. All Freesync 2 monitors I've seen are 144hz and support LFC.

Vega competes with the 980Ti- the 1080 is more efficient. They are that far behind, where the 1080 is about to be replaced and AMD has nothing ready.

The 1160 will compete with Vega before AMD can compete with the 1080Ti.

You really crack me up sometimes. I get that you are not an AMD fan, but spouting lies as truth does nothing good for new users that might be looking for information. VEGA 56 is faster then a 1070, and a 980TI. This trend increases when the card is watercooled as mine are, and can maintain a 1700-1750Mhz core clock. The 64's, clocked at 1650/1050 are faster then a 1080 in some games, and on a par in most. A few the 1080s are faster, as has always been the case depending on the game.

Its funny that your IDEA of what VEGA should be does not line up with those of us that, you know, actually OWN the cards. Now I'm going to get back to mining some more sweet Turtle coin since I just doubled my money while I slept ;)...

I think Freesync 2 is comprable to G-Sync.

It's certainly far closer than the shitshow that Freesync was on release. Latency is down and range is wider, both areas that needed improvement, though G-Sync is wider still given that syncing starts at 30Hz, still lower than a 144Hz display with LFC. That's less useful as you don't really ever want to run that slow, but it's also not unheard of and adaptive sync certainly makes it far less painful.

How did the trends predict Ryzen and Ryzen 2 performance?

Very well!

I get that you are not an AMD fan

I'm a fan of performance, and do not bother attaching feelings to companies. Overpromising and underdelivering Vega was a highlight of Koduri's tenure at AMD. He's gone, but I do not expect AMD to break their trend of occasionally almost catching up. They beat Intel/Nvidia for my needs, and I'll be running their products like I have many times before.

And if you look at my signature, you'll notice that my 1080Ti is under water too- the same advantages apply, nullifying your comparison.

It's certainly far closer than the shitshow that Freesync was on release. Latency is down and range is wider, both areas that needed improvement, though G-Sync is wider still given that syncing starts at 30Hz, still lower than a 144Hz display with LFC. That's less useful as you don't really ever want to run that slow, but it's also not unheard of and adaptive sync certainly makes it far less painful.

Very well!

I'm a fan of performance, and do not bother attaching feelings to companies. Overpromising and underdelivering Vega was a highlight of Koduri's tenure at AMD. He's gone, but I do not expect AMD to break their trend of occasionally almost catching up. They beat Intel/Nvidia for my needs, and I'll be running their products like I have many times before.

And if you look at my signature, you'll notice that my 1080Ti is under water too- the same advantages apply, nullifying your comparison.

I have no interest in your system. I have no interests in how you formed your biases. Finally, I have no interest in continuing this conversation. Good day to you, sir.

Wow the regulars were in quick. Must be near pay-day. LOL!
This is big. More so for consoles then PC. But how many PC gamers play on TV's vs. console users? Well maybe more now.
Very strategic move by Samsung.

...which is purported to be about as fast as Vega, and will arrive after the 1180's hit. Which is what you quoted me saying. Further, I almost never underestimate AMD. AMD makes sure that underestimating them is quite difficult.

Really no need for personal attacks, especially those that apply equally to yourself.

A discussing ad hominem attack. Baby cry waaa? Quite the stretch you have made trying to play the victim card here. Thanks for trying to stifle proper tech discussion with your calculated comments.

2700X + Vega 64 vs 8700K + 1080, they both trade blows if you ask me..

NOTE: I only looked at the results quickly in the video, feel free to point me better points...

I refuse to watch a video review. Videos are the worst possible format to review performance.

If I go back and look at the launch reviews both on this site and other though, the theme is that it trades blows with the 1080. On some titles it is marginally faster, on others a bit slower. It tends to do better on DX12 and Vulcan titles, but those are in the minority.

The RX Vega 64 costs $50+ more than a 1080, runs hotter and louder, and is in much more limited supply.

and even with a lesser gaming CPU ;)

Well, yeah, of course. If you bottleneck a game with the CPU, you are going to get even performance. That's kind of how it works.

I have no interest in your system. I have no interests in how you formed your biases. Finally, I have no interest in continuing this conversation. Good day to you, sir.
A discussing ad hominem attack. Baby cry waaa? Quite the stretch you have made trying to play the victim card here. Thanks for trying to stifle proper tech discussion with your calculated comments.

You guys crack me up :ROFLMAO:

A thread about a firmware update for TVs wouldn't be complete without the nvidia homers smearing shit all over the place.

...or AMD fans screaming 'ra ra ra!' over a development that doesn't make a lick of sense for desktop gamers, particularly those running AMD's slower GPUs?

My first post in this thread recognized that this update will be great for Xbox One and future console users. Its utility is however limited for desktop gamers given how difficult 4k is to push for the fastest available cards, and that Vega is as fast as FreeSync cards are going to get for some time.

For HTPC owners/users -> Go with AMD and get smooth game play on a FreeSync TV. Nvidia? Oh well, you loose. Here is why open standards are better in the long run and usually win out over time.

Assuming you weren't actually planning on running at 4k :ROFLMAO:

[which is actually frustrating...]
Why not? :D, Plenty of older games that run well at 4K plus running at 1440P scaled to 4K also works well. AMD scaler seems to always work better than what Nvidia gives out for what ever reason. Anyways I like racing games on the big screen and most of those run pretty fast to begin with. Everyone has to make up their own mind on what they want, to many think what they like is what others should like and in many cases that is not the case.

to many think what they like is what others should like and in many cases that is not the case.

It's not about liking- it's about reaching to 4k and then starting from behind. Doesn't make any sense given that you cannot play current games well with AMD's very best, so you won't be playing future games well at all and if you were planning on upgrading, you'll be waiting a long time!

It's not about liking- it's about reaching to 4k and then starting from behind. Doesn't make any sense given that you cannot play current games well with AMD's very best, so you won't be playing future games well at all and if you were planning on upgrading, you'll be waiting a long time!
Don't know what you are talking about - Play just fine - your opinions and what you consider relevant may not be relevant for others especially with gaming. Yes do agree at 4K resolutions the Vega 64 LC may not deliver the highest settings on the newer games and some of the older ones but there are a number of games that do play fine at 4K. Plus games in general, especially the newer ones sometimes give little IQ difference but a huge performance hit for the settings - so in many cases it is not a concern on my part and FreeSync really solves the smoothness end - as in 45 fps with FreeSync can deliver a great experience for me while the 1080 Ti at 54 fps non FreeSync does not or less of one I should say.

In a nutshell, Vega with 4K FreeSync TV would kick the 1080 Ti ass without any syncing tech, gaming smoothness aspect. At least from my experience with both. In other words paring the Vega with the FreeSync 4K TV makes much more sense for me than the 1080 Ti.

Last edited:
This reminds me though, my 2015 Samsung JS9000 remains permanently disconnected from the internet, both wired and wireless. It's been a couple of years since I checked for updates. I wonder if there are any. I don't trust smart TV or other IOT devices.

I'm not expecting a feature like this on my older model, but this reminded me that maybe I ought t check.

This reminds me though, my 2015 Samsung JS9000 remains permanently disconnected from the internet, both wired and wireless. It's been a couple of years since I checked for updates. I wonder if there are any. I don't trust smart TV or other IOT devices.

I'm not expecting a feature like this on my older model, but this reminded me that maybe I ought t check.
That is main reason why I like HTPC's, smart TVs are limited and like Netflix looks so much better using the HTPC vice the TV Netflix program. All the graphics card video assets as in smoothness, filtering etc. comes into play plus downsizing 4K videos to 1080p the video card can do. So SmartTVs to me become dumb to use TVs.

Netflix looks so much better using the HTPC

This will depend on the TV: I use an Nvidia Shield that can do 4k with Dolby Vision and Atmos (and a receiver that can pass both), but unfortunately not all of the apps support that while the ones on my LG B7 OLED can. Also, getting support for said high-end streaming on an HTPC can be a bit difficult.

That is main reason why I like HTPC's, smart TVs are limited and like Netflix looks so much better using the HTPC vice the TV Netflix program. All the graphics card video assets as in smoothness, filtering etc. comes into play plus downsizing 4K videos to 1080p the video card can do. So SmartTVs to me become dumb to use TVs.

Not to mention security (no guarantee that IOT gets security patches, but my Linux based HTPC's get updates constantly) and for any IOT device, including smart TV's you are pretty much guarantees that they are designed to collect data on you.

Also, with a HTPC you can upgrade as new tech comes around.

I really wish I could buy a high end TV with good picture quality, but nothing else. No "smart" features, no speakers nothing other than dedicated excellent picture quality.

That I would pay for.

Reactions: noko
like this
The 'smart' features are so cheap, it's hard for manufacturers to ship without them given that they're basically just cheap phone SOCs- however, you could always segment them off if you'd like. I may experiment with this myself with DD-WRT now that I'm running it again; assigning potentially 'snoopy' devices to their own VLAN etc.

Don't know what you are talking about - Play just fine - your opinions and what you consider relevant may not be relevant for others especially with gaming. Yes do agree at 4K resolutions the Vega 64 LC may not deliver the highest settings on the newer games and some of the older ones but there are a number of games that do play fine at 4K. Plus games in general, especially the newer ones sometimes give little IQ difference but a huge performance hit for the settings - so in many cases it is not a concern on my part and FreeSync really solves the smoothness end - as in 45 fps with FreeSync can deliver a great experience for me while the 1080 Ti at 54 fps non FreeSync does not or less of one I should say.

In a nutshell, Vega with 4K FreeSync TV would kick the 1080 Ti ass without any syncing tech, gaming smoothness aspect. At least from my experience with both. In other words paring the Vega with the FreeSync 4K TV makes much more sense for me than the 1080 Ti.

Especially since Samsung's new Game mode offers frame interpolation with low latency, enabling a card to render 30fps, but the TV will display 60fps. Might not be "true" 60fps, but I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference since the latency is still below 30ms.

Especially since Samsung's new Game mode offers frame interpolation with low latency, enabling a card to render 30fps, but the TV will display 60fps. Might not be "true" 60fps, but I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference since the latency is still below 30ms.
That is very interesting, my first thought would be TV built in blur hardware. I am going to have to check out what is available - really interested in a HDR 4K TV with FreeSync. For me it will be the computer providing the 4K content besides 4K movies - I am still on a 1080P dinosaur but getting closer to upgrading. I rather it be less than $1500, maybe Black Frida would be a good date this year.

That is very interesting, my first thought would be TV built in blur hardware. I am going to have to check out what is available - really interested in a HDR 4K TV with FreeSync. For me it will be the computer providing the 4K content besides 4K movies - I am still on a 1080P dinosaur but getting closer to upgrading. I rather it be less than $1500, maybe Black Frida would be a good date this year.

All of the "Q" Series and the NU8000 support Freesync, but the Q9F is the one to get, if you can stretch your budget. That one has 480 zones of active backlighting, making the black levels comparable to OLED (not QUITE, but close!) and has the best HDR. ANY of these sets will have superior HDR than the current HDR monitors just hitting the market, though!

And yes, TVs are going to be cheaper on Black Friday. Just make sure you do your research ahead of time, so you get a deal on the model you actually want!

Reactions: noko
like this
All of the "Q" Series and the NU8000 support Freesync, but the Q9F is the one to get, if you can stretch your budget. That one has 480 zones of active backlighting, making the black levels comparable to OLED (not QUITE, but close!) and has the best HDR. ANY of these sets will have superior HDR than the current HDR monitors just hitting the market, though!

And yes, TVs are going to be cheaper on Black Friday. Just make sure you do your research ahead of time, so you get a deal on the model you actually want!
Thanks for the info!

Back