Samsung U28E590D 28" 4K Ultra High Definition (UHD) LED-backlit Monitor $299

I think thats the one that is mountable or adjustable height/swivel? pssh, still a $100 too much.

Definitely a really good deal, I have one of these and it works very well. As far as not having an adjustable or swivel capable mount, I am not bothered by that. I can purchase an aftermarket, well designed mount if I need to have one. One 4k monitor is enough for me though since 3 would not be able to be handled very well.

Great deal op. This is like $530 new on 'zon. FWIW: is TN so should be better for gaming & worse for picture quality.

I think thats the one that is mountable or adjustable height/swivel? pssh, still a $100 too much.

Are you kidding me? I just did a Google Search on that model and everywhere on average is selling it for ~$600. I'm thinking about buying it just to sell it.

LinusTech has a review on this particular model (his youtube page). From what he says about it and at $299, this is a steal...

Perfectly happy with my pair of ancient 24" Dells, but I bit. What do I do for gaming on this thing, use 1080p?

Perfectly happy with my pair of ancient 24" Dells, but I bit. What do I do for gaming on this thing, use 1080p?

I just did some reading on that, its more recommended to reduce graphic settings at 4k res then to run at 1080 or 1440, it will not look as sharp if you run outside the native res.

Tempting but I'll wait until newer video cards drop before looking at new monitors to be able to drive it effectively.

I just did some reading on that, its more recommended to reduce graphic settings at 4k res then to run at 1080 or 1440, it will not look as sharp if you run outside the native res.

ack never run non native res on an LCD. It looks terrible. (1080 or 540 is obviously acceptable)

Pretty tempting at this price. Don't "need" it, but a 4k freesync monitor would sure be nice.

Good deal on a solid monitor, but I don't think I could handle 4K at 28" (and I don't want to use scaling, which kinda defeats the point). I hope everyone who gets in on this deal enjoys it, though. I wish I could get a 32" for anywhere near this price (the BenQ is like $900!).

I don't need this but I want it just because that's a great deal on a 4k freesync monitor even if factory refurbished. Mmmmm so tempting.

woot ships fast, will be delivered today already.. not bad. .next day delivery :)

Okay, I have my screen up and running. It looks like new condition, so that is a positive. This is my first TN panel I have ever had.. and I do have to say.. I am not thrilled with them haha. I have been messing with nvidia color settings to get it to look decent and now I do have it looking okay.. but it is annoying how the the view angles do kind of suck.. especially the up and down I notice a lot. Going to have to give it a few days and see if I am going to keep it as my main display or not.

**Okay, huge improvement now. I found an eye saver mode was on by default.. makes it looked washed out and overall bad.. turned it off and instantly a HUGE improvement in colors and overall look. Loving the 4k real estate too.

Last edited:
Are you kidding me? I just did a Google Search on that model and everywhere on average is selling it for ~$600. I'm thinking about buying it just to sell it.

well selling it is a different circumstance that doesnt apply to its lack of flexibility, isnt it?

So you think it should be $200? You can barely even find a 1080p at 28 inches for that much...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

if your criteria for a good solution is just cheap, then go for it. I'd like to cover my bases better, thanks :rolleyes:
Played with this screen in Microcenter last year, sure it looks nice but between it being a tn panel and then almost entirely non-adjustable with no vesa the visibility goes downhill very quickly. I run multiple monitors for productivity/monitoring, having to have everything directly in front of my face to be visible takes it out of the equation.

if your criteria for a good solution is just cheap, then go for it. I'd like to cover my bases better, thanks :rolleyes:
Played with this screen in Microcenter last year, sure it looks nice but between it being a tn panel and then almost entirely non-adjustable with no vesa the visibility goes downhill very quickly. I run multiple monitors for productivity/monitoring, having to have everything directly in front of my face to be visible takes it out of the equation.

You do not have to have everything in front of your face to use this. (I have owned one since June, 2015 and the only time I noticed color shift is if I am literally WAY below or WAY above the monitor. (Meaning, standing on a ladder or laying on the floor, LOL.) As for the base, you can purchase an aftermarket mount that from what I have seen, would work quite well.

Daym, I was late on this. Would rather have this than the 34" Dell I just ordered.

Okay, I have my screen up and running. It looks like new condition, so that is a positive. This is my first TN panel I have ever had.. and I do have to say.. I am not thrilled with them haha. I have been messing with nvidia color settings to get it to look decent and now I do have it looking okay.. but it is annoying how the the view angles do kind of suck.. especially the up and down I notice a lot. Going to have to give it a few days and see if I am going to keep it as my main display or not.

**Okay, huge improvement now. I found an eye saver mode was on by default.. makes it looked washed out and overall bad.. turned it off and instantly a HUGE improvement in colors and overall look. Loving the 4k real estate too.

Did you receive a displayport cable in the box? You were supposed to, but at least one other wooter reports not receiving it.

You do not have to have everything in front of your face to use this. (I have owned one since June, 2015 and the only time I noticed color shift is if I am literally WAY below or WAY above the monitor. (Meaning, standing on a ladder or laying on the floor, LOL.) As for the base, you can purchase an aftermarket mount that from what I have seen, would work quite well.

This is supposed to be the "E" model which has a vesa mount. No issue there.

Darn. Just received mine and the Displayport cable isn't there. No 4k 60Hz goodness for me. :-(

hdmi port 2 can do 4k at 60hz, that is what I am using. When I was using the dp cable whenever I turned the screen off and back on all my desktop icons and window positions would be reset. I guess some people have this issue (not sure its related to just this screen, think its a dp thing from what I understand). I switched to an hdmi cable and no longer have that issue.

hdmi port 2 can do 4k at 60hz, that is what I am using. When I was using the dp cable whenever I turned the screen off and back on all my desktop icons and window positions would be reset. I guess some people have this issue (not sure its related to just this screen, think its a dp thing from what I understand). I switched to an hdmi cable and no longer have that issue.

But that's an nVidia card. No HDMI 2.0 on AMD cards. (And no freesync for you?)

(EDIT: In the meantime, I borrowed a displayport cable from work anyway...)

But that's an nVidia card. No HDMI 2.0 on AMD cards. (And no freesync for you?)

(EDIT: In the meantime, I borrowed a displayport cable from work anyway...)

You having the desktop icon reset issue when you turn the monitor off and then back on when using the dp cable?

You having the desktop icon reset issue when you turn the monitor off and then back on when using the dp cable?

Unfortunately, I can't answer that yet... I pulled a bone-headed move and grabbed a displayport to displayport cable from work...Didn't realize my videocard only had mini-displayport. Amazon prime should come through on Sunday...

Unfortunately, I can't answer that yet... I pulled a bone-headed move and grabbed a displayport to displayport cable from work...Didn't realize my videocard only had mini-displayport. Amazon prime should come through on Sunday...

Ahh okay, let me know once you get a cable, I am interested in knowing if you have the same issue.

Ahh okay, let me know once you get a cable, I am interested in knowing if you have the same issue.

Will do, but in the meantime, can you tell me what it is that is happening?

Also, I'm constantly annoyed by the pop-up in the bottom right that tells me:
"Eye Saver Mode
Volume
Features"

every time it changes resolutions.

Have you seen a way to turn that off?

Thanks.

When I was using the dp to dp cable whenever I would turn the monitor off or the screen would go to sleep (does not happen with just a windows restart) all my desktop icons would reset (move to left of desktop) plus position of any open windows would also move/reset.

I read this is an issue with dp, windows thinks you disconnect your screen and so it uses a default or virtual desktop size or something and resets all your shit when you turn the screen back on. Annoying as shit.

I am rebuilding this pc tonight with new mb/ram/6700k cpu and will be reinstalling window 10, I will put the dp cable back and see if it happens after a clean install. I was using 2 1920x1080 screens until I got this one, now just running this new samsung only.

** Yeah, I don't know how to get rid of that either, the pop-up/ I need to look into that as well. Make sure to turn off the eye saver mode in the menu though, it makes your screen look awful, mine was on by default and at first was messing with brightness/contrast/colors etc in nvidia driver to make it look decent.. then realized that was on and it was making it look bad. :)

Last edited:
Mine came with an HDMI cable and no DP cable. Using the HDMI, the monitor doesn't wake after going to sleep. I'll have to try DP

Mine came with an HDMI cable and no DP cable. Using the HDMI, the monitor doesn't wake after going to sleep. I'll have to try DP

Mine came with dp and no hdmi lol. I was having an issue with hdmi 2.0 port though, not sure if screen related or my 980 TI. During games or benchmarks I would lose video signal over and over again. Went back to dp cable and do not have that issue but that gives me the icon reset issue.. so what I am doing now is using the Dp as my primary connection but then also plugged in an hdmi connection.. So my computer thinks I have two displays. I just told windows to show only on display 1 (dp connection). So now I can turn off the screen without it rearranging windows/desktop icons etc.

I do have yet another issue, which I did notice right away after hooking it up but had not addressed it until I figured out the other stuff. On the left side of the screen I get a backlight flicker, very distracting.. actually made my background black in the meantime so it does not do it. I contacted Samsung tech support and they are having me send it in for repair/replacement. So I will be sending this screen in tomorrow to get it it fixed. Hopefully it will come back fully functional. I contacted Woot.com about it but as suspected they are out of stock and they can only issue a refund.. which I don't want to do, now that I have worked out all the issues I was having I do like the screen and for 300 bucks I am very satisfied (as soon as flicker is resolved).

Back