Samsung T-Mobile Vibrant and Verizon Fascinate preview

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Review;
http://www.tmonews.com/2010/06/hands-on-with-the-t-mobile-samsung-vibrant/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/29/samsung-t-mobile-vibrant-and-verizon-fascinate-preview/

Here is the next bunch of hot new Android phones being released this Summer. Too bad they won't launch with 2.2 Froyo, but will get upgraded to that later per Samsung. But the spec's on these bad boys keeps them neck and neck with other hot phones like the EVO 4G and iPhone4. It'st the screens on these new Samsungs are supposed to be #1 in the industry, no other manufacturer can even uses this same screen until like late 2011.

So if your on T-Mobile I think this would be hands down their must have phone, no question. But if your on Verizon, you have a lot of Android options now. HTC-Incredible, DroidX, and DROID-2, and now the Fascinate.

Opinions ?

Last edited:
I'm pretty interested in the Fascinate, though I'm a bit wary of Samsung's reputation of not providing updates to their mobile devices. I'm not that wary...I figure, if anything, the custom ROM community will provide...but still.

Samsung did come out with an official statement last week, saying all these Galaxy class phones would get the 2.2 Froyo update in the future
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Samsung did come out with an official statement last week, saying all these Galaxy class phones would get the 2.2 Froyo update in the future

They also said that one of their earlier Android phones (a 1.5 phone) would receive 2.1, then updated it to 1.6 and announced that they'd be doing no more updates. Besides...what about Android 3.0 or whatever lies in the future?

This is pretty interesting.

Credit goes to autoexecbat on Engadget for this but currently if you go to Tmobile's Vibrant page you'll see this:

Apparently though, they had the price up earlier for the phone without a contract:

If legit, that seems like an amazing price for the phone. Seems too good to be true though.

I read somewhere that there is still a contract tied to it; the plan is just supposed to spread out the cost of the phone. Who knows. It has to be worth more than that :p

That $330 price is the monthly payment plan that still has a contract.

This thing will probably be $500 without a contract.

I was almost "all-in" for the Droid X but this is intriguing. The cpu in the Galaxy looks to be a bit less powerful than the 1Ghz OMAP in the X but the gpu seems to be substantially faster. Im not to keen on Samsung phones in the past however, I'd love to tinker with this one

I'm grabbing a Vibrant as soon as it's released... assuming they correct that $330 price. ;)

Is it possible to remove the Samsung looking UI on this phone and give it the stock 2.2 Froyo UI ? Then thus phone would totally rock and be the #1 T-Mobile phone

I'm grabbing a Vibrant as soon as it's released... assuming they correct that $330 price. ;)
Ditto. Vibrant (sans the lack of flash or gyroscope, NBD to me) seems to be the best phone coming on the market. At least until Motorola and TMo release the 2Ghz or Dual Core phones... But I don't have high hopes- the battery life on those will probably SUCK.

Is it possible to remove the Samsung looking UI on this phone and give it the stock 2.2 Froyo UI ? Then thus phone would totally rock and be the #1 T-Mobile phone
That's what I'm wondering. Stock Android means future upgrades would be easier, too!

Rooting/custom ROMs will probably take care of that right quick.

Yeah, it was too good to be true. The no-contract cost has been verified by Tmobile to be $449. Higher yeah, but not unreasonable imo. I expected this to go for $500-$600.

http://phandroid.com/2010/06/30/t-m...ually-449-99-when-buying-with-even-more-plus/

Considering it's got better hardware (Sans flash, gyroscope) than the iPhone, AND it's cheaper and can store more stuff in it??????? Awesome price.

I'll probably pick one up. Preorders at Radio Shack start tomorrow.

Actually it does have a Gyro in it... So the iPhone gives you a flash and front facing camera. Other than that, the Samsung has it beat.

The verizon version appears to have a flash in the back...wish the T-mo one did since that's the version I'll probably end up with.

How are T-Mo 3G speeds compared to Verizon?

The verizon version appears to have a flash in the back...wish the T-mo one did since that's the version I'll probably end up with.

How are T-Mo 3G speeds compared to Verizon?

TMobile 3G speeds are faster than everyone's 4G speeds... So I'd say they're pretty good.

TMobile 3G speeds are faster than everyone's 4G speeds... So I'd say they're pretty good.

Lolwut? Read this article to find that T-mobile is usually at least 2nd to AT&T in 3G speeds. Verizon is very comparable in average speeds too.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2364263,00.asp

How would you even assume that was true..? 4G on Sprint goes at a minimum 2 Mb/s (peaking at 7.5 Mb/s according to Engadget) which is at least 2-3 times faster than anyones 3G speeds and usually 3-4 times faster.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/19/htc-evo-4g-review/

Engadget said:
We connected the EVO to a couple of laptops we have lying around, and it worked great over both 3G and 4G. In fact, it worked so well that we'd argue it obsoletes dedicated mobile hotspot devices like the Overdrive and MiFi, because we were getting speeds as high as 7.5Mbps down and nearly 3Mbps up on WiMAX (granted, roughly 3.5Mbps down was more of the norm, but we saw some amazing peaks)

Last edited:
HSPA+ have peak download of 21mbps, upload of 5.7mbps.

I have never seen those numbers on Sprint's 4G.

Read this test:
http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=376
HSPA+ averages faster upload, download, and less latency (HALF the latency).

If you're shopping for fast data, though, T-Mobile's upgraded HSPA+ network is worth a hard look. HSPA+ is just as fast as WiMAX for downloads, and much faster when it comes to upload and latency.
HSPA 7.2 clocked impressive speeds in our tests, definitely comparable to Sprint's 4G.

Last edited:
It's not an HSPA+ phone tho:
According to T-mo, it "benefits from enhanced speeds with T-Mobile’s HSPA+ network, but it’s not an HSPA+ device."

I didn't think we were talking about a specific phone?

Regardless, the Vibrant is up for preorder now. The "Preorder Now" button takes you to a Blackberry page so my guess is it's not 100% ready to preorder yet.

You're right, I didn't specify. My bad.

Well without the HSPA+, how will the Vibrant specifically do on T-mo compared to the rest? Should it be on par then or does it still have a speed advantage over Verizon and ATT within the US?

You're right, I didn't specify. My bad.

Well without the HSPA+, how will the Vibrant specifically do on T-mo compared to the rest? Should it be on par then or does it still have a speed advantage over Verizon and ATT within the US?

Well it'll still do 7.2, which is comparable to everyone else's 3G.

I see that the release date has been set for Vibrant, but I can't find anything for Fascinate. Has Verizon not set a date yet?

I see that the release date has been set for Vibrant, but I can't find anything for Fascinate. Has Verizon not set a date yet?

Nope. Neither has ATT.

TMobile seems to be the most consumer-oriented carrier... When they announce a device they actually plan the damned thing out.

I think the release for most of the carriers is around the end of July, early August. HOPEFULLY.

I think the release for most of the carriers is around the end of July, early August. HOPEFULLY.

Yep.

I'm wishing I could go ahead and order a Vibrant case NOW, before it gets here so I'd have it the day I get the phone.

Yeah, it was too good to be true. The no-contract cost has been verified by Tmobile to be $449. Higher yeah, but not unreasonable imo. I expected this to go for $500-$600.

http://phandroid.com/2010/06/30/t-m...ually-449-99-when-buying-with-even-more-plus/

Hold up. Does that mean you can buy this, sans contract, for pre-paid use? I don't really want or need 3G and coverage where I am is lousy anyway. Right now I'm using a crummy TMo prepaid plus and iPod touch.

Being able to use a reasonably priced Android phone without a data plan would be an instant buy for me.

Hold up. Does that mean you can buy this, sans contract, for pre-paid use? I don't really want or need 3G and coverage where I am is lousy anyway. Right now I'm using a crummy TMo prepaid plus and iPod touch.

Being able to use a reasonably priced Android phone without a data plan would be an instant buy for me.

Yup. And the release date got bumped up to this Thursday. Can't wait. :D

WireFly is offering pre-orders for the Vibrant at $149 with new contract. It's $569 without a contract. :eek:

I had planned on getting it w/o a contract, but $569 is much more than I wanted to spend. I went ahead and pre-ordered with the $149/2-year contract deal.

EDIT: Canceled my pre-order. Gonna wait and see how much it is from T-Mobile.

Last edited:
Funny note... When you go to ATT's website and sort for "Android"... The iPhone still stays at the top of the list regardless. :rolleyes:
WireFly is offering pre-orders for the Vibrant at $149 with new contract. It's $569 without a contract. :eek:

Why??? When you can buy it for $110 less on release date?

Back