Samsung SATA 18X DL DVD+/-RW Burner w/ Lightscribe $32.90

annaconda

[H]F Junkie
Free up your IDE ports. newegg has the Samsung SATA 18X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW DVD Burner / Writer with Lightscribe Technology for a low $38.99. Free 3 Day Shipping. Tax in CA, NJ, PR, TN.

It seems this drive does not work well in vista
creates BSOD's !

I have a friend with the same issues. It doesnt like Vista much at all..

I've got this drive and running vista and it's not giving me BSODs. However in my bios I have it set to IDE and not AHCI mode. First thing I could think of that could cause those.

but why would i want to free up my ide slots? for what? id rather find a way to free up some more sata slots

Someday, when I too am free of the tyranny of IDE cables, there shall be a great joy in the land.

i use this drive on 64bit vista havent seen issues with bsod, maybe i got lucky?

I've had this drive for a while now. Works great. Burns DVDs well, and I use it to rip all of my media.

Don't know about Vista, but works awesome on Linux.

Well it is Newegg, so the automated pricing system could've raised it in the meantime.

I bought this drive last time it was 32ish.

Great drive. Difficult as HELL to get my ASRock board to recognize it.

Good luck navigating Samsung's maze of a website if you ever have to DL the drivers like I did.

omg he made a typo, its been corrected in the body and subtitle people, let it go....

Think my dad purchased this drive. No problems with it and works with Vista perfectly.

omg he made a typo, its been corrected in the body and subtitle people, let it go....

How do you typo $38.99 with $32.90? He completely missed two digits. I understand the 9 and 0 but the 2 is clear across the keyboard from the 8 :p.

Are we sure it's a typo? Newegg could've started at that price, and increased it as that particular item got a bunch of page hits and probably purchases.

Or you can pick up one of those ultra thin IDE cables that I just picked up from Fry's. Thinner than any of the cables from my PSU and about as wide as a SATA cable.

Maybe you have 3 ide units and your new MB only supports 2? Gotta squeeze something else in there. Tada, new SATA optical drive = WIN!

Well, you cant hot swap an IDE drive:)

And yes, I have run into the need to hot swap an optical drive before you ask. :cool:

Deal is Dead

$5 and some change for 3 day shipping.

It could have been $32 something when he posted it. Newegg likes to change prices.

I have the same exact model burner except the IDE version and this thing is horrible on ripping DVD's in DVD Shrink or any program.

It burns great and does good on lightscribe. Now I just need modified firmware.

Deal is Dead

$5 and some change for 3 day shipping.

It could have been $32 something when he posted it. Newegg likes to change prices.

I have the same exact model burner except the IDE version and this thing is horrible on ripping DVD's in DVD Shrink or any program.

It burns great and does good on lightscribe. Now I just need modified firmware.

You can get modified firmware here.
http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares_samsung.html

I have a question.
I see that there's BSBN version and BEBN.
What's the difference? Why should BSBN cost more?

And you can fold and route IDE cables for the same effect... :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but no matter how you fold them or what you do to them IDE cables are not as easy to route and hide as tiny SATA cables. Newer chipsets on motherboards are also moving away from IDE support altogether. IDE support is now being provided by third party chipsets like JMicron. IDE is dieing. No reason to hang on to it just to save a couple bucks.

I know its cheaper at the Egg for OEM, but for less than $5 difference I picked up the retail instead.

Back