Samsung Profits Plunge by 96%

You also have to constantly play with the temps up and down while cooking because some stoves go from a slight sizzle to scorching in 1 increment
The hot plate I mentioned above has temp up/down buttons with a 10 degree increment, which is nice.

Memory is a boom and bust business. There are only 3 major DRAM manufactuers left (and I guess about 5 flash manufacturers?). They will all survive and be just fine. Enjoy the low prices.
Sadly not for a few years, because of shortages manufacturers purchased at higher prices and when consumer demand dropped off they were left with large stockpiles of parts. Only after those stockpiles which were purchased at inflated rates are used up will prices come back down, at current demands that won’t happen until some time in mid 2025.

The hot plate I mentioned above has temp up/down buttons with a 10 degree increment, which is nice.

My Frigidaire range does too but it goes 1-9 then High then Power Boil but the jump from 6 to 7 is significant, everything from 2-5 is roughly the same and I don't see a difference between high and power boil. I wish there was a standard or some temperature display, probably just a cheap range.

My Frigidaire range does too but it goes 1-9 then High then Power Boil but the jump from 6 to 7 is significant, everything from 2-5 is roughly the same and I don't see a difference between high and power boil. I wish there was a standard or some temperature display, probably just a cheap range.
Ah, yeah, somewhat like the dial on an electric range, just a coarse adjustment, that's not great. My hotplate has 6 buttons for preset temps from 100 to about 425, but then you can bump it up or down with the finer gradations, and it's got a 3 digit display. "Simmer is 170 degrees" is a lot better than "simmer is somewhere between two and three". I barely even use the regular stovetop now unless I'm making something that needs multiple burners. Just means I need to stir stuff a bit more because the induction circle isn't as big as the stove's big burner.

10% gains if you bought when this article came out. way more if you sold puts to all the suckers

Induction rocks. Made the switch a year or so ago. Way better than gas or electric. Had to buy new pans, yes, but totally worth it. Never going back.

Back to the article, isn’t it about time Microsoft knocks another 200 or so CPUs off of the Win11 compatibility list, to, you know, help keep the “industry” moving?

Y’all have gotten WAY too much use out of your 3yr old CPUs. Nobody needs a 3yr old CPU.

I often wonder if Samsung wants to be terrible at making.. everything.. like LG is.

Every time a client wants Korean appliances I try everything to convince them to choose something else. You can spend $25K on a high end LG stove and it will last a year tops before you start to see the cracks or you can spend $25K on Thermador, Viking, or Miele and have them for 25 years without so much as a hiccup.

I often wonder if Samsung wants to be terrible at making.. everything.. like LG is.
Samsung makes the best ram, the best SSD's, and their phones aren't terrible. If you own a RTX GPU that has early Micron VRAM that starts with the number 8, then it's defective but Samsung is just fine.
Every time a client wants Korean appliances I try everything to convince them to choose something else. You can spend $25K on a high end LG stove and it will last a year tops before you start to see the cracks or you can spend $25K on Thermador, Viking, or Miele and have them for 25 years without so much as a hiccup.
Appliances are a different story.

This thread title is slightly misleading. I'm assuming that it's not "All of Samsung" it's just specifically their foundry that is suffering huge losses. Likely due to everyone buying into TSMC’s cheaper and better processes.

And I would also guess that is the reason why we're hearing about rumors about AMD using Samsung 4nm, because Samsung is likely aggressively pricing themselves to gain business back. Plus yes also DRAM prices crashing.

Last edited:
Samsung makes the best ram, the best SSD's, and their phones aren't terrible. If you own a RTX GPU that has early Micron VRAM that starts with the number 8, then it's defective but Samsung is just fine.

All my phone have been samsung because:

1. It is not ios
2. They have warranty & will not go bankrupt

I recently purchased fridge & washing machine. Both used to be whirlpool but refrigerator is now Samsung & seriously considered Samsung for washing machine but didn’t want to displease my wife fixed on a local (Tata) brand.

LG was always on the radar but somehow the deals are not convincing enough for their products. I might still buy an LG Oled TV once the prices drop !!!

Got my AMD 6800h and 3070ti. Games fine on ext 1440p 240hz. No need to upgrade. Food cost too much so no PC stuff.

I used a Samsung microwave to try to fix a graphics card and it didn't work.

Would an induction oven work better?

More evidence that all of the inflation in the PC sector is built on a house of cards. If no one is buying memory, then no one is buying everything else to make a PC.
The first quarter results, with all the top 4 OEMs profits tanking go hand in hand with this.
Everyone is glued their phones in a fetal position. PCs are ancient history but still fun to have.

I like Samsung electronics and computer parts. I will never buy one of their appliances though.

This is actually a really good thing, right? Profits dropping 96% means they are still making profit, but competition (TSMC for sure) has forced them to drop prices. As a consumer you should always want to see corporate profits drop because it means competition is alive and well.

That's why I said it looked like their goal, they aren't as shit as LG yet, but the cracks have started to show in their SSDs. Both companies scream "explosive growth" to me. It's hard to stay on top of the product when the board wants to see eternal expansion and profit growth.

For appliances I tell people to grin and bear financing, companies like Thermador will take care of you, they make their shit in the US and they warranty that stuff like it's a sacred duty. Meanwhile a $25K LG stove has blank dials, rusty grilles, and abrasions all over the stainless cooktop from its own parts. After a year a Samsung has probably set the wall behind it on fire.

I didn’t realize this thread was bumped. I basically commented twice. That aside, really it’s Samsung’s foundry business that’s taking the the hit. And whether it’s a phone or a computer it’s the same sector for Samsung.

🙄
Don't feed the troll.

Back