Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 57" 7680x2160 super ultrawide (mini-LED)

How is picture quality compared to oled?

I have lg 42” oled now

Debating between 49” g9 oled or the 57”

I went from 42" C2 to 57" Neo G9. I used them side by side for a few days for HDR gaming only.

Tbh, it was a tough choice between these two. Very tough because each one have their own very unique qualities and differences.

The C242 I rekon had slightly better image quality, because it looked sharper, deeper contrast and blacks, and the glossy screen.

But the, Neo G9 57" swayed me with its massive immersion gain and heaps high brightness over the c242. In the end I chose the 57" as the keeper simply because of the 2 qualities of immersion and brightness gains over the c242. But one thing that really pees me off on the 57", is the matte coating. Why on earth do they degrade the image quality by using matte coating. This would have looked tons better if they could offer it in glossy, then it would probably be a no brainer. Anyways, the blacks are nearly oled good, and the cotrast is pretty good to. So thats why i ended up staying with the 57" NG9, although I do miss my C242 every now and then.

What performance are you seeing at what settings? I thought Cyberpunk 2077 was bad (I an actually run this with Path Tracing enabled with DLSS: Performance and FG enabled, averaging 65-70 FPS which is playable. I've tried 5120x1440 with Quality DLSS and the performance is the same but it looks worse than native) but from what I'm seeing people are struggling to run AW2 with RT enabled @ 60 FPS @ 3840x2160 even with FG enabled.
At full res (7680x2160), have to use Performance DLSS with everything maxed out including RT, FG, Ray-Reconstruction etc. Still dips below 60fps in the forest areas. Game is easily the best looking video game out there (Cyberpunk 2077 is a close 2nd).

On my other rig with the Asus PG32UQX (4K 144Hz HDR), I run everything maxed out w/ DLSS on Quality and it gets ~ 80 fps on avg. DLAA is mostly 60 - 70 but dips below 60 in the forest areas.

The RTX 4090 is already obsolete. Watch DF's video on this game and see how Remedy has pushed forward PC gaming graphics with this title. The future is bright. Nvidia better bring the big guns next time (5090 and beyond) to achieve 60fps consistently with all the bells and whistles turned on (w/ at least DLSS on Quality).

At full res (7680x2160), have to use Performance DLSS with everything maxed out including RT, FG, Ray-Reconstruction etc. Still dips below 60fps in the forest areas. Game is easily the best looking video game out there (Cyberpunk 2077 is a close 2nd).

On my other rig with the Asus PG32UQX (4K 144Hz HDR), I run everything maxed out w/ DLSS on Quality and it gets ~ 80 fps on avg. DLAA is mostly 60 - 70 but dips below 60 in the forest areas.

The RTX 4090 is already obsolete. Watch DF's video on this game and see how Remedy has pushed forward PC gaming graphics with this title. The future is bright. Nvidia better bring the big guns next time (5090 and beyond) to achieve 60fps consistently with all the bells and whistles turned on (w/ at least DLSS on Quality).

I don't even feel like playing Alan Wake 2 anymore after seeing how much it destroys my 4090 :LOL: almost wanna just wait for the 5090 before playing. In the forest area I'm only getting 50's fps with everything maxed out and DLSS Performance mode, using FG will boost it to around 80-90 though. This game is definitely the new Crysis.

The graphics ceiling is really an arbitrary set point to start with. Dev's have to whittle down cgi material to fit "Real time". For example, if a game has very far view distances with dynamic lighting and shadows, # of animated entities visible in the distance it will crush gpus. That's where some people complain about some open world game's graphics being somewhat lower or "last gen" when they are used to playing higher detail graphics in arenas or corridor shooters where there is less stress on the gpu allowing higher detail vs performance. There are a lot of design tricks devs use to increase performance but they could still crank the ultra ceiling up magnitudes during development if they wanted to. Just using different kinds of supersampling or downsampling a higher 8k, 16k rez, DSR is another way to increase graphics and stress gpus, lower frame rates. That and of course higher levels of ray tracing.

There used to be a forum dedicated to high detail screen shots somewhere. I haven't gone to the link in a long time but the gist of it was they used every setting in game, gpu, and using mods to get the highest detail screen shots in the games possible. They looked gorgeous but they were generally unplayable like that. Similarly, some games, especially console games, have a screenshot mode where the detail levels and FX, lighting, etc. are much higher than during gameplay.

The graphics ceiling is really an arbitrary set point to start with. Dev's have to whittle down cgi material to fit "Real time". For example, if a game has very far view distances with dynamic lighting and shadows, # of animated entities visible in the distance it will crush gpus. That's where some people complain about some open world game's graphics being somewhat lower or "last gen" when they are used to playing higher detail graphics in arenas or corridor shooters where there is less stress on the gpu allowing higher detail vs performance. There are a lot of design tricks devs use to increase performance but they could still crank the ultra ceiling up magnitudes during development if they wanted to. Just using different kinds of supersampling or downsampling a higher 8k, 16k rez, DSR is another way to increase graphics and stress gpus, lower frame rates. That and of course higher levels of ray tracing.
It depends also on how it's done. I just played through Spider-Man 2 and on console it runs at 1440p-4K dynamic res at 40 fps, or a crappier looking 1008p (yes, 1008p) - 1440p 60 fps. But what it does well is that it doesn't have noticeable pop-in while having very long draw distances. It's also incredibly seamless in transitioning between parts with zero visible loading. It's going to be great on PC probably next year.

By comparison Cyberpunk 2077 looks amazing on PC with path tracing, but it has jarring levels of spawning in NPCs and pop-in. CDPR haven't even been able to solve that NPCs sometimes vanish into thin air in front of you, whereas usually they do things like "whatever you see is there and things behind you disappear." But in scenarios that are more fixed, like a good chunk of the Phantom Liberty DLC, it looks incredible.

Both games have really good art styles where the somewhat more cartoonish look of Spider-Man means it can get away with less realism.

To bring this back to the monitor, the fact we can play games like Cyberpunk 2077 and Alan Wake 2 with path tracing at all at freakin' dual UHD resolution is nothing short of amazing.

20231103_221006.jpg

My gawd, the high sustained brightness and contrast on this monitor do make some HDR games look like another level! Even my C242 did not have this level glory at this point of the game.

See the lighting from the flames on the snow, on this monitor this was almost glowing out of the screen whilst keeping high contrast all around it. Incredible image quality in my eyes!

I wish Tim from HUB or Rtings would review this monitor. I really need to know how bad the overshoot is compared to Neo G9 49 before buying the game

I wish Tim from HUB or Rtings would review this monitor. I really need to know how bad the overshoot is compared to Neo G9 49 before buying the game
HUB/MUB seems to have lost pace a bit in general last couple of months I feel, have then even reviewed the G9 OLED yet?

HUB/MUB seems to have lost pace a bit in general last couple of months I feel, have then even reviewed the G9 OLED yet?
TFTCentral and Rtings have reviewed it so that's more than good enough.

I don't remember seeing much in terms of superultrawide reviews from HUB.

Rtings has actually started testing the G95NC a few days ago so review should be coming soon.

View attachment 610661

My gawd, the high sustained brightness and contrast on this monitor do make some HDR games look like another level! Even my C242 did not have this level glory at this point of the game.

See the lighting from the flames on the snow, on this monitor this was almost glowing out of the screen whilst keeping high contrast all around it. Incredible image quality in my eyes!
Am assuming you are in the 120hz mode. How is the motion clarity compared to your OLED? Do you perceive motion blur / ghosting?

Do you actually own this monitor? I understand what HDR does, I've been using it for 3 years since acquiring the original G9, the HDR on this panel is completely broken, "real life" isn't a grey sunglasses filter that mutes all of the color out of the image. I stated in my review that the original G9 had the same problem and it was never fixed, it may be a limitation of the display, the G9 Neo had the problem and it was fixed with a firmware update, G95NC has the same problem again. I'm not running SDR content in HDR mode, I'm running brightness, contrast and local dimming settings nearly maxed out in a particular color profile in the monitor itself and running pure SDR content through Windows. The SDR image has peak nit brightness for light objects, be it headlights, fire sources, the sun, the skybox, etc that is 80% as bright as that afforded by HDR but without the completely broken colors. HDR enabled content on the G9 Neo 1440p panel does not completely desaturate the colors, IT DID when it was first released, just as the original G9 before it. On the G95NC HDR is currently broken, this is NOT how HDR should look and yes Samsung CAN fix the problem just as they did with the predecessor G9 Neo, or at least I'm hoping they can and that the issue is not limited to the panel. But actually, I could care less, SDR with "HDR" hack / brightness and contrast settings looks night and day better than HDR even on the predecessor.

And yes HDR is completely broken, anyone with a muted image, navigate the panel's GUI to Menu > Picture > down 8x (boy this is fun to do every time you launch a game with HDR enabled) to HDR Tone Mapping, it will indicate "Active" but it's absolutely NOT active, switch up to Static and then back down to Active and watch the panel come alive. THAT'S BROKEN HDR. Fundamentally, completely broken HDR. And turning on actual Active Tone Mapping and it still looks washed out and you must still max out brightness and contrast. Reds? They look orange! Try to fix it playing with the color tone as I did to make reds appear actually red and you will wind up with a circus cartoon image. BROKEN!

I forgot to add to my review that 4K media content looks incredible on this monitor (in SDR! HDR is broken on the PS5 as well, meaning it's not a Windows issue! G9 1440p did not have this issue!). I have accumulated a lot of 4K video that I just ran at 1440p on the previous panel because it's still better than 1080p, and WOW I'm seeing details that I didn't even think were possible now. Also, content on the PS5 looks better with the increased vertical real estate and the fact that the PS5 runs older titles at 4K @ 60 FPS, i.e. Ghosts of Tsushima, Until Dawn, Infamous Second Son etc.
If HDR is completely broken as you claim then how can you give this monitor 5 stars? This is 1 star unusable garbage monitor if proper HDR makes the image worse.

I know you are excited about 2160p but many of us have been on that resolution for a decade now.

HDR looks completely broken to me as well. Tried Ori, Dead Space, Lords of the Fallen, Ratchet and Clank, Alan Wake 2, tried all monitor presets as well as display settings and the ICC profile from 'The Display Guy', with no luck. This is in contrast (pun intended) to the G9 Oled (still got in box) which just seems to look great in HDR with no setting changes in everything. Still not sure which monitor to keep. The contrast and HDR of the G9 Oled is on another level compared to the Odyssey, the G9 Oled runs in 240hz with an Nvidia card, and ofcourse no blooming. But the Odyssey has much better text in Windows, a superior curvature and higher resolution. Very interested to see Rtings review of the Odyseey to see how they got on with the HDR.

Last edited:
I saw the early access review of the Neo G9 57 on Rtings. Motion performance on this thing is insane. Total response time of 5ms (vs. 9ms. on the Neo G9 49) and there is virtually zero overshoot in the 240hz mode. This panel hangs with OLED displays in terms of motion clarity without artifacts. Very very impressive stuff. No smearing and no overshoot. Black magic.

Although personally, I have been spoilt by OLED image quality and response times so will be sticking with OLED G9.

I saw the early access review of the Neo G9 57 on Rtings. Motion performance on this thing is insane. Total response time of 5ms (vs. 9ms. on the Neo G9 49) and there is virtually zero overshoot in the 240hz mode. This panel hangs with OLED displays in terms of motion clarity without artifacts. Very very impressive stuff. No smearing and no overshoot. Black magic.

Although personally, I have been spoilt by OLED image quality and response times so will be sticking with OLED G9.
Not to discredit the G9 57" but isn't 5 ms about 10-50 times slower than OLED? If the difference actually matters is more doubtful I guess, probably not.

(assuming response time refers to pixel response time and not input lag)

Not to discredit the G9 57" but isn't 5 ms about 10-50 times slower than OLED? If the difference actually matters is more doubtful I guess, probably not.

(assuming response time refers to pixel response time and not input lag)
The pixels themselves respond near instantaneously, but the image processing on the display slows it down. Still, the LG C3 is twice as fast at 2.3ms going by "total" (100%) response time. Looking at an OLED PC monitor like the AW3423DW it's 1.4ms.

Hangs with OLEDs? No, but it's impressive for a VA panel.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/odyssey-neo-g9-g95nc-s57cg95

About the local dimming...ouch...

The Samsung G95NC has Mini LED backlighting with 2,392 zones, and the local dimming feature performs fairly well, but it could be better. There's blooming around bright objects, like around subtitles, or even when there are black bars on the sides. However, this blooming looks worse from the sides than when viewed in front. Whenever there are smaller bright objects on the screen, it crushes those highlights and dims them too much, so they lose details, and they're harder to see. Lastly, although the dimming zones are small, it's visible when they turn on and off, which can be distracting depending on the screen, but the algorithm keeps up with fast-moving objects well. Overall, while it's fine for a local dimming feature on a monitor, it isn't as good as other high-end monitors like the Samsung Odyssey Neo G9/G95NA S49AG95.

If I remember correctly, the Neo G9 49" has about the same number of zones but is smaller, so each zone should be smaller but probably not a big difference.

Last edited:
Seems like a fairly positive review for it.

To me the biggest hurdles for getting one are the 240 Hz issues on Nvidia (with no official acknowledged bug) and that there are no sales going for this in my country. I was hoping for a discount on Black Friday but so far nothing.

Seems like a fairly positive review for it.

To me the biggest hurdles for getting one are the 240 Hz issues on Nvidia (with no official acknowledged bug) and that there are no sales going for this in my country. I was hoping for a discount on Black Friday but so far nothing.
The review was kind of as expected and in line with what I experienced. A really good monitor, just not the one for me

It dropped a bit on Benify, at least in Sweden.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/odyssey-neo-g9-g95nc-s57cg95

About the local dimming...ouch...

The Samsung G95NC has Mini LED backlighting with 2,392 zones, and the local dimming feature performs fairly well, but it could be better. There's blooming around bright objects, like around subtitles, or even when there are black bars on the sides. However, this blooming looks worse from the sides than when viewed in front. Whenever there are smaller bright objects on the screen, it crushes those highlights and dims them too much, so they lose details, and they're harder to see. Lastly, although the dimming zones are small, it's visible when they turn on and off, which can be distracting depending on the screen, but the algorithm keeps up with fast-moving objects well. Overall, while it's fine for a local dimming feature on a monitor, it isn't as good as other high-end monitors like the Samsung Odyssey Neo G9/G95NA S49AG95.

If I remember correctly, the Neo G9 49" has about the same number of zones but is smaller, so each zone should be smaller but probably not a big difference.
That EOTF curve...

1700584702334.png

Went to try the display again in a store. Still looks good to me, but again I could not test any real HDR content because there was no internet connected to the computer in the store.

I tried to see if 240 Hz + 3840x2160 works but nope, it goes down to 60 Hz. Meanwhile 5120x1440 @ 240 Hz does work. This with the miserable Nvidia 3050 GPU in the store computer. It really sucks Nvidia has not acknowledge the issue or Samsung has not done anything to it because clearly it's broken on either end if even 4K @ 240 Hz does not work as expected when that is confirmed to be within Nvidia GPU capabilities as per the Neo G8.

5120x1440 @ 240 Hz @ 8-bit = 48.49 Gbit/s data rate
3840x2160 @ 240 Hz @ 8-bit = 54.84 Gbits/s data rate

So both are past the non-DSC capabilities of HDMI 2.1 48G (41.92 Gbit/s data rate) and DP 1.4 (25.92 Gbit/s), yet DSC does not activate seemingly at all for 4K here.

Last edited:
My Neo G9 57 has the plastic popping noises coming from the back which seems to be normal. But a little more strange is the smell of burning plastic. I sort of expected this while it was very new but it has been 5 weeks now with heavy use, I would have thought it would have gone away. Do others have the same issue? Is this just the plastic smell while it is warm and nothing to be alarmed about?

Last edited:
My Neo G9 57 has the popping noises which seems to be normal for the G9 range with plastic housing. But a little more alarming is the smell of burning plastic. I sort of expected this while it was very new but it has been 5 weeks now with heavy use, I would have thought it would have gone away. Do others have the same issue? Is this just the plastic smell while it is warm?

Mine has neither one of these issues.

My Neo G9 57 has the plastic popping noises coming from the back which seems to be normal. But a little more strange is the smell of burning plastic. I sort of expected this while it was very new but it has been 5 weeks now with heavy use, I would have thought it would have gone away. Do others have the same issue? Is this just the plastic smell while it is warm and nothing to be alarmed about?
Mine did too but as I recall it went away after a while. I would imagine that it could also depend surrounding temps, as at least in Sweden we have gone from summer to almost winter in no time. We are talking Santa territory here even though I would imagine kasakka might claim to be even closer :)

Mine did too but as I recall it went away after a while. I would imagine that it could also depend surrounding temps, as at least in Sweden we have gone from summer to almost winter in no time. We are talking Santa territory here even though I would imagine kasakka might claim to be even closer :)
Depends how far up north you are!

I had the CRG9 and it definitely had those popping noises when warming up/cooling down. The burning plastic smell is the one I'd worry about.

So is there another update recently?

Recieved an email from samsung about an firmware update but I havent checked yet.

Seems this this thread activity died down quiet rapidly.

I thought there would be plenty more owners by now discussing things.

Any more users of this monitor want to input their thoughts, impressions or tweaks?

Seems this this thread activity died down quiet rapidly.

I thought there would be plenty more owners by now discussing things.

Any more users of this monitor want to input their thoughts, impressions or tweaks?
Doesn't seem to be a whole lot going on to be honest.

It seems the initial batch of "my G9 died after a week" has been resolved as at least on Reddit the number of people reporting a faulty monitor have seemingly gone down.

Nvidia nor Samsung has acknowledged the 240 Hz issues.

Samsung seems to be having the display on some sale in the US. Meanwhile EU prices aren't budging, still 2599€ everywhere here in Finland.

Considering we are likely getting Nvidia GPUs with DP 2.1 in 2025, I might just skip this one despite being very eager to buy one initially. Maybe with the right sale I will bite but my dual 28" 4K work setup + living room OLED TV for gaming has served me well enough.

Reactions: Xar
like this
Fair enough.

Yea i got my 57 G9 on a promotional sale on the first week of release in australia when it first came out.

Samsung seems to be having the display on some sale in the US. Meanwhile EU prices aren't budging, still 2599€ everywhere here in Finland.
Shipping Tax, Sales Tax, GPU Tax, and 24% VAT are insane up there and sellers tend to mash them together finalizing a price tag.
Considering we are likely getting Nvidia GPUs with DP 2.1 in 2025, I might just skip this one despite being very eager to buy one initially. Maybe with the right sale I will bite but my dual 28" 4K work setup + living room OLED TV for gaming has served me well enough.
VideoCardz has both Q4 2024 and Q2-Q3 2025 as release date. I reckon the latter is more realistic given current GPU climax. By then, we'd likely be having DP 2.1b & HDMI 2.1b.

What fps you guys getting in graphics intense games at full res and max graphics + full RT enabled?

I have a 4090 and 12900K

And I am getting only 50-58fps in Cyberpunk 2077 and Alan Wake 2. Thats with DLSS performance!!!

Its so hard to bear! DLSS performance really looks like arse! Need to use DLSS quality at a minimum, but that will drop me to 40fps.

Man, I love the image quality of this monitor but damm I do not like the performance of AAA games.

I don't know what to do, I almost feel like getting rid of this monitor because its pretty much unusable with current gen GPUs for gaming at this res. And thats my sole use for this monitor.

If I cant have atleast 70fps in games at max detail, then whats the point? The experience of playing at sub 40-55fps is seriously hindered no matter how good the image looks!

What fps you guys getting in graphics intense games at full res and max graphics + full RT enabled?

I have a 4090 and 12900K

And I am getting only 50-58fps in Cyberpunk 2077 and Alan Wake 2. Thats with DLSS performance!!!

Its so hard to bear! DLSS performance really looks like arse! Need to use DLSS quality at a minimum, but that will drop me to 40fps.

Man, I love the image quality of this monitor but damm I do not like the performance of AAA games.

I don't know what to do, I almost feel like getting rid of this monitor because its pretty much unusable with current gen GPUs for gaming at this res. And thats my sole use for this monitor.

If I cant have atleast 70fps in games at max detail, then whats the point? The experience of playing at sub 40-55fps is seriously hindered no matter how good the image looks!

If you aren't using it for work and don't play a bunch of racing sims then IMO this monitor is a terrible purchase.

Why do you think it is a terrible purchase if you don't do those things?

Because from a purely gaming only standpoint, non racing/flight sims just don't look right to me when rendered at 32:9 IMO. Compounded by the fact that if you actually use the full resolution then you will get low fps even if you reduce the quality settings, that's why so many people on here want to game on this thing at 5120x2160 or even down to 3840x2160. Why pay for all that real estate just to NOT use it in games? And when you do use it, you get terrible fps. Hence why I think this is a bad purchase.

Because from a purely gaming only standpoint, non racing/flight sims just don't look right to me when rendered at 32:9 IMO. Compounded by the fact that if you actually use the full resolution then you will get low fps even if you reduce the quality settings, that's why so many people on here want to game on this thing at 5120x2160 or even down to 3840x2160. Why pay for all that real estate just to NOT use it in games? And when you do use it, you get terrible fps. Hence why I think this is a bad purchase.
I do agree with you for most of this.

But I don't think 32:9 at this res looks 'not rite'. I think the games look fantastic. But that is easily migitated by the fact you have to use heavy dlss setting, so yea in the end i agree that it does void having this monitor if you only game (non sim/race) on it.

But problem is, I don't know what i would get thats available today if I got rid of this 57".

Not sure if I want to go back to 42" oled all though i did love it!

I do agree with you for most of this.

But I don't think 32:9 at this res looks 'not rite'. I think the games look fantastic. But that is easily migitated by the fact you have to use heavy dlss setting, so yea in the end i agree that it does void having this monitor if you only game (non sim/race) on it.

But problem is, I don't know what i would get thats available today if I got rid of this 57".

Not sure if I want to go back to 42" oled all though i did love it!

Nothing available today yes but next year you might just have an option: https://wccftech.com/lg-teases-2024-oled-ultragear-gaming-monitors-switch-480hz-fhd-240hz-uhd-modes/

"LG will also introduce two 45" curved OLED monitors (45GS95QE, 45GS96QB)"

One of those monitors could be the rumored 5120x2160 resolution panel. 45" 5120x2160 is probably your best bet as a replacement display to the Neo G9. Or who knows maybe those two new 45" panels are just a bunch of nothingburger refreshes to the existing 3440x1440. Only time will tell.

Back