Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 57" 7680x2160 super ultrawide (mini-LED)

Some people can carry refrigerators without harming themselves...

I say don't take chances with your spine. One herniated disc pressing on a nerve or the spinal cord would be enough to give you grief for the rest of your life. Not worth it.

It really doesn't look bad to me. It's only 60 lbs you can slide it up stairs if you find it's bulk makes that necessary. Then stand it on end and bear hug it or slide it on a mat or towel to the room you are going to unbox it in like a wheelbarrow or full flat.. I've moved a lot of furniture, appliances, outdoor machines, etc so this would be extremely easy for me personally. Most people can re-direct 60 lbs very easily, even easier if you are using the floor/stairs to take a lot of the weight. That's not even bringing a dolly into the equation, or a 2nd person. No need it's not a fridge it's 60 lbs. :rolleyes:

57inch.s-ultrawide.samsung_german.unboxing_1.png

I guess it does have a few handholds after all

57inch.s-ultrawide.samsung_german.unboxing_2.png

57inch.s-ultrawide.samsung_german.unboxing_3.png

Last edited:
The CX has ruined me for life this is too narrow for me

I know it appears "narrow" (I'm assuming you mean "short") and belt-like in images but the height of the screen to your perspective would be decent when sitting as close as most would to a 32" 4k screen centrally where you'd prob be more like 24" to 28" view distance. Sitting with the 4k central portion in your human central viewing angle more or less with an extra 1920 pixels on each end in your periphery like "wings".

55 degree viewing angle, 70 PPD on the 32" 4k central part of the super ultrawide screen = 27 inch view distance

55 degree viewing angle, 70 PPD point on a 42" 4k is around 35 inch view distance.

55 degree viewing angle, 70 PPD point on a 48" 4k like mine is around 40 inch view distance.

Sitting at those viewing angles vs the 4k portion and the screen heights would be exactly the same to your perspective, filling the same degrees of your field of view vertically.

If you instead sat far enough away that you'd see the entire super ultrawide screen's extents like I think you are implying, then yes it would then be reduced to a short belt to your perspective. People take pictures of the 57" ultrawide screen like that just to show what the whole screen looks like at once, that doesn't mean that's how they are viewing them in person. I doubt that's how most people would choose to view these 7680x2160 screens.

. . . . .

The problem in my opinion is that the 1000R curvature makes the screen a semicircle segment of a 1000mm radius circle which means it's 40" to the center point of the circle. So the pixels farther from the center of the screen are aimed at a point 13" behind you when sitting at something like a 27" view distance - and they get more and more off axis from you the farther away from the center of the screen the pixels are. If it were instead a 700R curvature for example it would be 27.5 inches to center. 750R curvature would be 29.5 inch to center, 800mm = 31.5 inch to center. In my opinion that would be a better design choice considering the dimensions of the screen being essentially a semicircle arc based on 32" 16:9 physical screen height.

. . .

the nearer you sit than the center point of any curved screen, the more off-axis the pixels farther from center of the screen will be from you since they are pointed at the center point which is then farther behind you. This will cause uniformity issues almost like a gradient to the far ends and corners as the pixels farther away are more and more off-axis from you. It also causes/exacerbates geometry~distortion issues, even on the 2d desktop/apps.

Screen dimensions vs center point of curvature:

eC34F2o.jpeg

MvgnsNU.png

ay7YtdG.gif

. . .

q03mqmG.png

0UhdIIr.png

2a2X3eB.png

cMAnSJu.png

. . . . . . . .

https://qasimk.io/screen-ppd/

For reference:

At the human central viewing angle of 60 to 50 degrees, every 8k screen of any size gets around 127 to 154 PPD..

At the human central viewing angle of 60 to 50 degrees, every 4k screen of any size gets around 64 to 77 PPD

..At the human central viewing angle of 60 to 50 degrees, every 2560x1440 screen of any size gets only 43 PPD to 51 PPD

..At the human central viewing angle of 60 to 50 degrees, every 1920x1080 screen of any size gets only 32 PPD to 39 PPD

Last edited:
Perhaps you actually meant lower/shorter rather than narrower (less wide) as that is kind of the idea of ultrawides :)

Reactions: elvn
like this

. . . . . .​

elvn edit:

apparently bad formatting rather than trolling (thanks improwise):

p3sty

2[H]4U​

Compared to what, a 75" TV? :)

i use the 48 i did purchase the one of these i couldnt get over the feel ,,,,meh im retarded
:)

elvn original troll triggered reply:

You'd think after 2500 messages on this forum you'd know that attributing false quotes to someone is really bad form and pretty toxic, rules or not. However it's probably also against the rules of the forum. :rolleyes:

https://hardforum.com/threads/the-h-ard-forum-rules.760666/

(12) Do not IMPERSONATE other individuals or falsely represent yourself.

(1) Absolutely NO FLAMING, NAME CALLING OR PERSONAL ATTACKS, NO TROLLING. Mutual respect and civilized conversation is the required norm

Last edited:

p3sty

2[H]4U​

Joined Feb 22, 2006 Messages 2,529​

Yesterday at 7:04 PM

. . . . . .​

You'd think after 2500 messages on this forum you'd know that attributing false quotes to someone is really bad form and pretty toxic, rules or not. However it's probably also against the rules of the forum. :rolleyes:

https://hardforum.com/threads/the-h-ard-forum-rules.760666/

Even though I can certainly feel that way some days when my brain is in sleep mode I am guessing that in this case it was rather the result of an unfortunate keyboard malfunction on p3stys end :)

like this
Even though I can certainly feel that way some days when my brain is in sleep mode I am guessing that in this case it was rather the result of an unfortunate keyboard malfunction on p3stys end :)

I see that now, thanks. If it was formatted correctly he would actually have come off as self-deprecating instead which is much better lol.

. . . . . . . . . . . .

This give some idea of the view to perspective by view distance I was talking about. I still think the curvature could be better suited to the distance where this would be true, in respect to that perspective being at the center point of the curvature rather than well nearer than that point.

57in.s-uw_compared.to_48in.16x9_perspectives_1.png

. . .

This guy's vid that was in earlier replies shows nearer sitting distance pretty well with his over the shoulder camera clips. Seems to show it better than any other source I've seen so far.

I'd want it a little higher up, and you can see in some of the pictures he's doing some multi-monitor like neck-bending to the end corners since the screen is so long to his perspective when sitting that close. Sitting that close helps preserve some decent height to your perspective so I think it's a pretty good spot considering the given dimensions of the screen. . Would be cool if it was around 5 - 6" taller at that distance though I'd have to admit from what I'm seeing. Taller and with a more aggressive curve would have been much more appealing to me. So I can kind of see where p3sty is coming from - though ultrwawide format is still appealing to me in theory if not fully to me in current executions unfortunately.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlHaaGzcQIQ

NVIDIA_Share_XFuZjngSgx.png

firefox_LhDvAbQiAD.jpg

firefox_KBnylCMMVK.png

firefox_Nnc84erDj5.png

NVIDIA_Share_gxQ0qW7bQ9.jpg

firefox_1qxl44tc5e.jpg

Last edited:
This dotted line edit would be a better layout for me considering the curvature and width. It would still be wide without going even taller to a full 16:9

57in.s-uw_if.it.was.somewhat.jpg

The more I look at these screens the more I think a large 8k (optimally, curved) screen would be better outside of losing the 240hz capability. I could theoretically window things on a 8k to make a shorter viewing space but I can't add height to a short screen without sitting even closer than those screenshots are showing - which would also push the sides even farther away into the periphery.

That or people do these kinds of layouts:

I'd really love something like this ark setup below decoupled from a desk sitting back a little farther, if someone released an 8k ark format someday. That kind of thing the size of all three screens across minus bezels would be a dream screen but I'd take a 8k center one that could do 120hz+ if one became available and use it in a triple monitor setup.

monitor_55inch.Ark.with.two.32.inch.in.portrait_1.jpg

Reflex from online troll trauma I guess.. I thought you were falsely attributing a quote to improwise where it called himself retarded. No worries. Formatting error "lost in translation" and probably early morning pre-coffee brain missing clues on my part

Shit I have a 48inch C2 and it's perfect in every way on my desk. I have 0 need for a curved narrower display. Gonna be a long time before I upgrade my C2.

Shit I have a 48inch C2 and it's perfect in every way on my desk. I have 0 need for a curved narrower display. Gonna be a long time before I upgrade my C2.
That's what I've said myself multiple times but never really learned to live as i preach which might explain the still unopened light brown box near my desk labeled Samsung :)

That's what I've said myself multiple times but never really learned to live as i preach which might explain the still unopened light brown box near my desk labeled Samsung :)

I preach hard work in this life. And boy o you, if I didn't work hard, then slap me on the ass can call me Sally!

Last edited:
I on the other hand went back to smaller 28" LCDs because the 48" was just overwhelmingly large so I used the bottom 2/3 of it in desktop use. Like the CX better as my living room TV.

I would be interested to try the Samsung ARK, if they made it in 8K. One of the problems I had with the flat 48" was that I needed more viewing distance than I really wanted simply to keep the edges usable. If they curve in a bit, I would be able to see things there better.

I'd also like to try the LG Flex, but they really need to bring the price down a lot or make it genuinely better specs than the 42" C2 TVs that are 1/3 of the price or even less.

The ark goes on crazy sales at BB every now and then. I physically went to see it and was like hmmm almost bit but I'm waiting for 240htz oled TV other than 240 I'm very happy with the CX

Having unboxed but not plugged in the G95NC, I must say that my reservations regarding the curve remains. Honestly having some doubts if I should even remove the plastic because of this (as a favor to whoever gets it if I return it). Compared to my two wallmounted 42" C2s, this feel like I just added a big piece of furniture to my room.

Of course, the curve was a known factor so can't really blame the screen for it but the added size over the 49" makes it even more apparent. Many people will probably buy it for the curve, so this is just my personal opinions...

Edit:

Can add that as a grown man (at least physically :D), I had no problems handling it or it's box by myself.

Last edited:
I on the other hand went back to smaller 28" LCDs because the 48" was just overwhelmingly large so I used the bottom 2/3 of it in desktop use. Like the CX better as my living room TV.

I would be interested to try the Samsung ARK, if they made it in 8K. One of the problems I had with the flat 48" was that I needed more viewing distance than I really wanted simply to keep the edges usable. If they curve in a bit, I would be able to see things there better.

I'd also like to try the LG Flex, but they really need to bring the price down a lot or make it genuinely better specs than the 42" C2 TVs that are 1/3 of the price or even less.

I was able to mount my 48inch really low. The the middle of my head is a bit above the middle of the screen. The top of my head is actually above the top of the screen. If you are able to get that view it's worth it. You can use it right in the middle. I took the stand off completely and was able to fashion really small stand. The bottom of my 48in is sitting about 1cm above my desk. Works well. A lot of people either love 48inch size or do not like it. I love it. Perfect size for me on my desk. I have 0 issues with viewing angles or quality. PC gaming on it is awesome.

Last edited:
Well, did go ahead and at least plugged in the G95NC and as expected, it feels very much like a larger Neo G9 49" with higher resolution. At least based from memory, as I don't have it around anymore for side by side comparisons. The coating isn't too bad, as in it not being to grainy, but it is of course still a matte one with the pros and cons of that. I am struggling to find some settings to make it look more "natural" but so far have not been able to. Viewing angles are as expected, so even besides the immersion aspect, I understand the need for the massive curve.Of course, all this were to be expected I guess.

Mine is delayed from Amazon until the 5th but I'm debating refusing delivery after quickly seeing my friends who picked his up from Bestbuy yesterday.

I think I'm spoiled by the PG32UQX. The Samsung just looks super washed out and the viewing angles seem even worse than the Neo G8 (especially vertical). I dunno if I can stomach $2000+ for this level of panel quality. I think I might have become a VA panel hater.

Going to mull over it today.

Mine is delayed from Amazon until the 5th but I'm debating refusing delivery after quickly seeing my friends who picked his up from Bestbuy yesterday.

I think I'm spoiled by the PG32UQX. The Samsung just looks super washed out and the viewing angles seem even worse than the Neo G8 (especially vertical). I dunno if I can stomach $2000+ for this level of panel quality. I think I might have become a VA panel hater.

Going to mull over it today.
Wouldn't called it washed out but after having been spoiled by good IPS:es and OLED:s you do see the weaknesses of VA (and vice versa). Does require a bit of tinkering of settings etc. but as with all local dimming monitors, you can see that the FALD is always working in a way that you won't an an OLED for obvious reasons, making the image always look a bit "processed". Should add that I am in no way a color purist or tend to calibrate my monitors/TV (real calibration that is).

My desk simply isn't big enough to be able to make any side by side comparisons with my X27, wall mounted C2 is easier, providing I find time for it as well. As mentioned above, I would personally have preferred it to be dual 27" instead of dual 32" but it is what it is. The curve makes the viewing angles to the sides much more extreme even compared with a 65" flat "monitor" in same setup which might be good for immersion but not so much for productivity. But then again the sides of sidemonitors in a triple monitor setup would have a similar problem.

You can of course move further back, but then the whole point of the curve is lost and would also put you outside of the ideal viewing position with all that that entails. For work, I find that anything outside of the 21:9 area is just for stuff you might glance at occasionally or pay the price for it later in the day.

Edit:

As there are quite a few reviews out there, which for various reasons tends to be very positive when it comes to Samsung monitors/TVs, I don't feel the need to share general observations on all that is good with this monitor like screen area, PPI etc.

Last edited:
Musings.....

I would be interested to try the Samsung ARK, if they made it in 8K. One of the problems I had with the flat 48" was that I needed more viewing distance than I really wanted

Yes I really like the ark format though I'd want to use it at something like a 32inch to 40 inch view distance in relation to the curve depending on what I was doing. I did consider the current 4k one strongly on a few occasions. It was temping last sale + I would have been able to swing a samsung discount on top of that so would have been like $1600 - $1800 or something, + tax. I keep coming back to the realization that it just doesn't have high enough PPD for my taste at a typical range of viewing distances and in relationship to the curve. Their 2nd version with the better multi-input/ PbP box is due out around the 12th this month incidentally but it's the same screen basically and it'll prob be crazy pricing vs the original model to boot.

An ark for the curve and some higher hdr brightness/sustained brightness might be decent vs my 48 cx but the PPD would drop considerably due to the format in effect.
Even if I sat at 38" - 40" away it would only get 60 PPD where my 48 cx at that distance gets 67 - 70 PPD. And considering the usage of the curve for immersion in some games I'd be sitting a lot nearer for those games so at a pretty low PPD that is in a way less than 4k to your perspective (i.e. 47 to 52 PPD at 28in. to 32in view distance which is in 1400p monitor ranges of perceived pixel sizes). If a mfg ever released a large gaming tv form factor 8k screen in 1000R it would be much more appealing with double the ppd.

. . . .

On the 8k front - 8k tv manufacturing was put on pause by most mfgs for a few years so there is no real competition to samsung's silly apple glam like pricing on those currently. I sometimes wish I would have scored a $1k 700b when they were liquidating those everywhere, just for bezel-free desktop/app real-estate even though they bloom in media. The current 65" 8k 800C is still $2700 + $236 tax even if I get the discount which is pretty steep for what you are getting, too steep imo. Especially since in the next few yrs they will prob start doing 8k 120hz native screens and with competition starting from multiple mfgs pricing and features wise.

Meanwhile TCL is making that 5000zone 5000nit monster (4k) outlier tv too . That and dp 2.1 hitting but not really since it's at 54Gbps instead of 80, and the fact that the next nvidia "5000" series gen prob not til 2025. So the landscape is kind of stalled out and/or weird right now.

. . . .

The curve makes the viewing angles to the sides much more extreme even compared with a 65" flat "monitor" in same setup

Seems pretty neck-bending to the edges when sitting near enough for some decent perceived height centrally. When I used triple screens I did have to turn my head some degrees but they were decupled from me desk entirely and were tall enough that I could sit back a lot farther than that, so it was less degrees of head turning than what this guy is doing. Helped that I could rotate my chair a little along with the longer view distance (and even able to rotate my whole island desk on caster wheels a few degrees if I really wanted to focus on a single screen for awhile).

915988_firefox_1qxl44tc5e.jpg

As much as I was interested in these 57" super ultrawides - after watching, screen-shotting and going over that last video I referenced I really don't think it's tall enough for me even as a wide screen format considering it's overall dimensions. Primarily that sank it for me, but also that the 240hz isn't as meaningful if not getting those frame rates.

At first I thought sitting close enough would make the screen appear large enough but once I saw enough of the overall dimensions in use I realized the dimensions wouldn't work for me for sitting that close.

You can of course move further back, but then the whole point of the curve is lost and would also put you outside of the ideal viewing position with all that that entails.

Technically you could but as you hinted at - not without a huge compromise really in my opinion unless you were mounting it below another screen as extra desk space or something. As a main screen, if you did sit back farther the screen's height to your perspective would shrink down to a belt.

That's one of the main problems with the design/form factor of most current ultrawide screen's designs. Their curvature vs dimensions vs resolution. If you sat anywhere near the center point of the circle the screen is an arc of - the screen would be very short. It's already somewhat short imo at what I'd consider the best-usage case viewing angle most would compromise on like where that video reviewer sits, which is much nearer than the 1000R, 1000mm radius, ~ 40 inch center of the curvature. . The screenshots and that video showed me the dimensions/form factor of this screen better than anywhere I've seen in other reviews. I wouldn't sit any farther than that or the height would be even worse. Imo best viewing angle would be where you'd be sitting pretty close to where you would on a regular 32" 16:9 screen centrally at a desk.

It's already a bit short imo anywhere near the central 32 inch or so "4k+" viewing distance. To me the design is short by at least that dotted line row. The screen could have been designed taller along with more aggressive curvature so that the center portion of the screen could be sat back bulging the screen curve farther away from your head like the ends of the screen are without it being short. As the design is, if you sat back farther, in this screenshot below you'd drop down yet another row in height to your perspective than the top bezel of the screen - essentially shrinking the screen smaller to your perspective than where the actual screen is in that picture.

915992_57in.s-uw_if.it.was.somewhat.jpg

. . . . . . . .

In my opinion an optimal design would be a screen tall enough and wide enough where you could sit at the center point of the circle the curved screen is an arc of. Then all of the pixels would be on axis, pointed directly at you. As it is now, when you sit at the distance compromise of most curved screens, especially ultrawides and super-ultraiwdes, the pixels farther and farther from the center of the screen are more and more off-axis from you as they are aimed at a point farther behind you.

909909_monitor_curved.screen_center.of.circle.curvature_facing-screen_1.png

909911_902903_reflection-light_facing-monitor_1.gif

909921_1000R_sitting.far.inside.of.focal.point_1.png

909916_1000R.Curve.Schematic_1.png

909922_1000R_120deg.sem-circle_1.png

909923_1000R.Curve.png

. . . . . . . . . .

So I'll probably stick with the 48cx setup like Jara said for now instead of squeezing myself into a different compromise. There is always some compromise, and always something more advanced in the years ahead, etc. - but I'm coming to the conclusion that it might be well over a year from now before more meaningful leaps in screen and gpu upgrades are released, especially since 8k was on pause. Maybe I'll upgrade my main rig in the meantime instead.

It's always fun following new tech like the 57" super ultrawide and finding out what it can do from people and reviews though. It definitely has some high end specs . . 4k doublewide at 240hz with FALD HDR brightness/sustained . . but I've come to the conclusion that even with the larger size of the screen, the height vs the overall format ~ dimensions vs. curvature isn't good enough for me personally.

Last edited:
I got to try the G95NC today. It was on display in a local electronics store, but only connected to a 3050 and no keyboard connected so I only got to try it on the desktop with a mouse. Plus store overhead lighting being a factor.

Viewing angles seemed better than what I remember from the Samsung CRG9. Less vertical color shift, but still some. It would not be bothersome when sitting in front normally.

125% scaling seemed spot on, similar to my 28" 4K at 150% in text size. Size and desktop area seemed perfect for my uses.

The 3050 would not go over 7690x2160 @ 60 Hz if the display was set at 240 Hz. 120 Hz worked when I dropped refresh rate to 120.

Resolution/HDR switching is very slow, this seems to happen on all Samsung superultrawides.

USB source selection was available per input and easy to configure to PC1 or PC2. No idea how well it works in practice.

HDR seemed a bit washed out compared to SDR on the desktop even after adjusting SDR brightness slider. But this could be just bad settings on the display and I wasn't able to try any HDR content.

Even the Samsung demo video that was playing on it normally seemed to be in SDR, who knows why. It looked better in SDR and had elevated blacks in HDR mode. I'd probably use it with SDR mode and switch to HDR as needed.

I do want one, just waiting for any potential sales and the 240 Hz issue being fixed.

On the 8k front - 8k tv manufacturing was put on pause by most mfgs for a few years so there is no real competition to samsung's silly apple glam like pricing on those currently. I sometimes wish I would have scored a $1k 700b when they were liquidating those everywhere, just for bezel-free desktop/app real-estate even though they bloom in media. The current 65" 8k 800C is still $2700 + $236 tax even if I get the discount which is pretty steep for what you are getting, too steep imo. Especially since in the next few yrs they will prob start doing 8k 120hz native screens and with competition starting from multiple mfgs pricing and features wise.

Meanwhile TCL is making that 5000zone 5000nit monster (4k) outlier tv too . That and dp 2.1 hitting but not really since it's at 54Gbps instead of 80, and the fact that the next nvidia "5000" series gen prob not til 2025. So the landscape is kind of stalled out and/or weird right now.

There already are 8K panels with 120/144 hz as the QN900C has that, at least I assume that since if the TV can do 4K@120/144 hz, the 8K panel itself must also support it. I am guessing that it might mainly be a bandwidth limitation on HDMI 2.1 (perhaps even a processing one on the chipset).

. . . .

Seems pretty neck-bending to the edges when sitting near enough for some decent perceived height centrally. When I used triple screens I did have to turn my head some degrees but they were decupled from me desk entirely and were tall enough that I could sit back a lot farther than that, so it was less degrees of head turning than what this guy is doing. Helped that I could rotate my chair a little along with the longer view distance (and even able to rotate my whole island desk on caster wheels a few degrees if I really wanted to focus on a single screen for awhile).

915988_firefox_1qxl44tc5e.jpg

As much as I was interested in these 57" super ultrawides - after watching, screen-shotting and going over that last video I referenced I really don't think it's tall enough for me even as a wide screen format considering it's overall dimensions. Primarily that sank it for me, but also that the 240hz isn't as meaningful if not getting those frame rates.

At first I thought sitting close enough would make the screen appear large enough but once I saw enough of the overall dimensions in use I realized the dimensions wouldn't work for me for sitting that close.

Technically you could but as you hinted at - not without a huge compromise really in my opinion unless you were mounting it below another screen as extra desk space or something. As a main screen, if you did sit back farther the screen's height to your perspective would shrink down to a belt.

That's one of the main problems with the design/form factor of most current ultrawide screen's designs. Their curvature vs dimensions vs resolution. If you sat anywhere near the center point of the circle the screen is an arc of - the screen would be very short. It's already somewhat short imo at what I'd consider the best-usage case viewing angle most would compromise on like where that video reviewer sits, which is much nearer than the 1000R, 1000mm radius, ~ 40 inch center of the curvature. . The screenshots and that video showed me the dimensions/form factor of this screen better than anywhere I've seen in other reviews. I wouldn't sit any farther than that or the height would be even worse. Imo best viewing angle would be where you'd be sitting pretty close to where you would on a regular 32" 16:9 screen centrally at a desk.

It's already a bit short imo anywhere near the central 32 inch or so "4k+" viewing distance. To me the design is short by at least that dotted line row. The screen could have been designed taller along with more aggressive curvature so that the center portion of the screen could be sat back bulging the screen curve farther away from your head like the ends of the screen are without it being short. As the design is, if you sat back farther, in this screenshot below you'd drop down yet another row in height to your perspective than the top bezel of the screen - essentially shrinking the screen smaller to your perspective than where the actual screen is in that picture.

915992_57in.s-uw_if.it.was.somewhat.jpg

. . . . . . . .

In my opinion an optimal design would be a screen tall enough and wide enough where you could sit at the center point of the circle the curved screen is an arc of. Then all of the pixels would be on axis, pointed directly at you. As it is now, when you sit at the distance compromise of most curved screens, especially ultrawides and super-ultraiwdes, the pixels farther and farther from the center of the screen are more and more off-axis from you as they are aimed at a point farther behind you.

. . . . . . . . . .

So I'll probably stick with the 48cx setup like Jara said for now instead of squeezing myself into a different compromise. There is always some compromise, and always something more advanced in the years ahead, etc. - but I'm coming to the conclusion that it might be well over a year from now before more meaningful leaps in screen and gpu upgrades are released, especially since 8k was on pause. Maybe I'll upgrade my main rig in the meantime instead.

It's always fun following new tech like the 57" super ultrawide and finding out what it can do from people and reviews though. It definitely has some high end specs . . 4k doublewide at 240hz with FALD HDR brightness/sustained . . but I've come to the conclusion that even with the larger size of the screen, the height vs the overall format ~ dimensions vs. curvature isn't good enough for me personally.
While I can understand the lure of Super UW for gaming, I would much rather had a 16:9 with higher resolution for work, like the real 8K TV that I am still considering getting (the QN900C this time). I recall that I have read that our eyes actually work better moving vertically than horizontally, that a stacked display would be preferable. At least that is in line with what I am feeling myself, ie that in order to use monitors on the sides of my main work area, I have to move my head, while when having a stacked setup, I much more just move my eyes. But of course that is based on a sample rate of one user so can't really tell if it is a universal truth.

Has been a busy work day today but after having "centered" my windows a bit (probably something like 5500x2160 I would imagine) I actually forgot that I was using a new monitor, which is probably a good sign. The higher resolution / PPI to me makes this a much better monitor for work than the previous ones. I think that viewing angles might have improved as well but always hard to compare stuff with memories. Have yet to try any gaming though.

Last edited:
I got to try the G95NC today. It was on display in a local electronics store, but only connected to a 3050 and no keyboard connected so I only got to try it on the desktop with a mouse. Plus store overhead lighting being a factor.

Viewing angles seemed better than what I remember from the Samsung CRG9. Less vertical color shift, but still some. It would not be bothersome when sitting in front normally.

125% scaling seemed spot on, similar to my 28" 4K at 150% in text size. Size and desktop area seemed perfect for my uses.

The 3050 would not go over 7690x2160 @ 60 Hz if the display was set at 240 Hz. 120 Hz worked when I dropped refresh rate to 120.

Resolution/HDR switching is very slow, this seems to happen on all Samsung superultrawides.

USB source selection was available per input and easy to configure to PC1 or PC2. No idea how well it works in practice.

HDR seemed a bit washed out compared to SDR on the desktop even after adjusting SDR brightness slider. But this could be just bad settings on the display and I wasn't able to try any HDR content.

Even the Samsung demo video that was playing on it normally seemed to be in SDR, who knows why. It looked better in SDR and had elevated blacks in HDR mode. I'd probably use it with SDR mode and switch to HDR as needed.

I do want one, just waiting for any potential sales and the 240 Hz issue being fixed.
Was a while ago since I tried the CRG9 but viewing angles seem to have improved quite a bit from the Neo G9 (never tried the Neo G7 / G8). Being spoiled by OLED, I am usually quite sensitive to color shifts, especially of uniform backgrounds, but I can't really say that I have noticed it even after a full day of hectic work with multiple windows. Have not really had time to play around with settings but I think I am currently running Graphics mode with Local Dimming set to Standard and brightness to max (I am a brightness junkie).

Can add that text quality, as expected, is much better than before and also noticable better than my 42" C2s. As mentioned above, the coating, while not OLED good and matte, is actually quite good. Better even than the GP27U (IPS) but not quite as good as the X27 (best IPS I have seen) nor the OLED of course.

Last edited:
Can add that text quality, as expected, is much better than before and also noticable better than my 42" C2s. As mentioned above, the coating, while not OLED good and matte, is actually quite good. Better even than the GP27U (IPS) but not quite as good as the X27 (best IPS I have seen) nor the OLED of course.
Yeah I was not bothered by the AG coating at all. The one on my G70A might be slightly better, but overall no big deal. Seems they have learned from the complaints about the Neo G8.

Store had the OLED G9 next to it and it definitely looked nicer for the demo video for contrast in SDR but I could not try it on the desktop. It looked way too narrow vertically in comparison even though I was fine with the CRG9 size.

My friends monitor is dead as of this morning. Lasted 1 entire day. I'm going to hold off on buying one of these or the TCL version once the dust settles (240hz Nvidia, etc).

He complained about how hot it made his face sitting in front of it and I wonder why Samsung decided to use internal power instead of the external bricks they've been using on the prior monitors. Putting that inside the monitor just brings the heat source closer to you.

My friends monitor is dead as of this morning. Lasted 1 entire day. I'm going to hold off on buying one of these or the TCL version once the dust settles (240hz Nvidia, etc).

He complained about how hot it made his face sitting in front of it and I wonder why Samsung decided to use internal power instead of the external bricks they've been using on the prior monitors. Putting that inside the monitor just brings the heat source closer to you.
Even for Samsung, the failure rate of these monitors seems crazy high. Considering the price of it, I can't imagine millions of people have bought it,yet the number of "my monitor has died" posts are already way too high.

Yeah I was not bothered by the AG coating at all. The one on my G70A might be slightly better, but overall no big deal. Seems they have learned from the complaints about the Neo G8.

Store had the OLED G9 next to it and it definitely looked nicer for the demo video for contrast in SDR but I could not try it on the desktop. It looked way too narrow vertically in comparison even though I was fine with the CRG9 size.
At least my G95NC had horrible out of the box settings, probably for EU energy reasons. Like brightness 3 with 50 being maximum. But perhaps you changed that unless someone else already had.

Even for Samsung, the failure rate of these monitors seems crazy high. Considering the price of it, I can't imagine millions of people have bought it,yet the number of "my monitor has died" posts are already way too high.
Agreed. I don't know how it was the original G9 or the Neo G9, but there's definitely way more reports of "loved it for a week, then it died or developed some issue". Makes me wonder if there's a batch of faulty power boards or connectors coming loose in transport and breaking when the monitor heats up enough. You would think that by this point Samsung and TCL/CSOT would have the technology pretty much down considering how similar it is to the previous models.

When I tried the OSD it was just immediately familiar because it's basically exactly like the CRG9 and my current G70A. Same stupid quirks like locking a bunch of setting with the VRR mode active and so on. Probably even loads a different EDID for that too. Otherwise I saw no visible issues on the G95NC in the store, no dead pixels, flickering or anything like that.

To me it seems wise to wait for the Nvidia 240 Hz fix a month or two and see if I can get a good deal on the display by then. Maybe by then another batch has rolled off the line with small corrections.

At least my G95NC had horrible out of the box settings, probably for EU energy reasons. Like brightness 3 with 50 being maximum. But perhaps you changed that unless someone else already had.
Yeah I noticed that too, turned off Eco mode and increased brightness. Just wish I had been able to e.g load a YT HDR video or something.

Yeah I'm also going to wait partly because of the 240hz and partly because I think I want to spend closer to $1600 on it. The more I think about it the more being limited to 120hz kind of sucks. Not really because of games but because 240hz feels really nice on desktop which is 60% of my use case.

Once the return window passes for the preorders (end of October), it will come down in price like the G9 OLED did. I think it will settle at $1999 street price with sales below that.

Yeah I'm also going to wait partly because of the 240hz and partly because I think I want to spend closer to $1600 on it. The more I think about it the more being limited to 120hz kind of sucks. Not really because of games but because 240hz feels really nice on desktop which is 60% of my use case.
For me the 240 Hz is all about running games at less than full resolution. I know my 4090 can do above 120 fps at 4K 16:9 in many less demanding games, or even at 5120x2160.

Since I use MacOS for work, I doubt Apple will ever support above 120 Hz on this thing. Even with my current 4K 144 Hz displays, HDR becomes unavailable if scaling is set at anything but native 4K or 1:1 (1080p) or refresh rate dropped all the way to 60 Hz.

The G9 57", like most FALD displays, has the same situation where it kind of feels bright and dim at the same time, ie you kind of feel that you both want to increase and decrease the brightness. I would imagine that this is related to contrast as well as the constant processing going on and that it is something that really can't be solved on MiniLED/FALD unless you increase the number of zones very much. This compared to an OLED which of course has as many dimming zones as pixels. Even with something like 2000 zones on the G9, that still means 9 000 pixels per zone, and perhaps also that zones probably affect surrounding zones as well (my guess). While OLEDs have a general problem with both max brightness and text, they have a "clarity" to the image that I have never seen on a MiniLED/FALD. Being glossy of course helps a bit as well.

like this
One thing I have noted, which might be a bit worrying, is that when you enable 240 hz, there is a noticeable difference on solid backgrounds etc, which I think is some kind of "dithering" / chroma subsampling. I recall that the QN900B I evaluated a few months ago had similar problems. It kind of looks like vertical scan lines which to my memory looks quite similar to the horizontal ones on the previous Neo G9s. Not sure if there is a way to deal with this, could be VRR related etc, but from what I recall, the Neo G8 had similar problems and the G9 57" seem to be kind of two Neo G8s glued together. Will see if I can perhaps snap some pics to show it more clearly, but neither my camera equipment of knowledge of how to use it is to be considered optimal.

Edit:

Took some quick photos with my mobile, notice how the sub pixels are much more visible like green ones on background and red ones on the black line when running at 240 hz. Please note that I have not done anything besides flipping between 120 hz and 240 hz, so I don't know if there are ways to fix this, if my 3090 is to blame etc. This is also running at 60 hz native resolution over HDMI 2.1 (120 hz goes away as an option in NCP). The monitor also becomes quite unstable when doing the "flip", forcing at least me to turn it of and back on, so just flipping back and forth on a daily basis seems lika a no go in the long run. It is no secret that there really isn't a GPU available today that can do max resolution with high framerates (not sure how much the performance gap for AMD DP 2.1 cards is today compared to Nvidia ones).

Attachments

• 20231006_115812.jpg
    20231006_115812.jpg
    717.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231006_115908.jpg
    20231006_115908.jpg
    566.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
People are reporting diagonal scanlines at 240hz. Can anyone here confirm?

I don't really get this monitor....from what I have found, there is no way to actually set a 4K resolution in case you want to play FPS games with more of a centered view rather than with the fisheye-look in Ultrawide? Which leaves you with a QHD resolution which even at 27" would be low res but at a 32" is really low res. Of course, this is not all the monitors fault but also the lack of DP 2.1 cards, but still that is what you are left with. Currently running at HDMI 2.1 but will have a look at DP 1.4 also to compare.

I don't really get this monitor....from what I have found, there is no way to actually set a 4K resolution in case you want to play FPS games with more of a centered view rather than with the fisheye-look in Ultrawide? Which leaves you with a QHD resolution which even at 27" would be low res but at a 32" is really low res. Of course, this is not all the monitors fault but also the lack of DP 2.1 cards, but still that is what you are left with. Currently running at HDMI 2.1 but will have a look at DP 1.4 also to compare.
It should support 3840x2160 @ 240 Hz out of the box according to the manual.

Back