Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 57" 7680x2160 super ultrawide (mini-LED)

Just last year we were in a "4K 120 Hz is more than enough" situation. Then the 4090 dropped and changed the whole thing. Now I want 4K 240 Hz OLEDs, more 4K+ 240 Hz LCD models etc.

I expect DP 2.1 will be a similar situation to HDMI 2.1. Manufacturers are skimping on including the full speed 48 Gbps HDMI 2.1 port if they can get by with a 40 Gbps controller which is cheaper. So I fully expect DP 2.1 UHBR13.5 displays to dominate the market eventually. Full speed UHBR20 will probably have slow adoption considering there are no GPUs that support it atm, next gen at the earliest.

240Hz is definitely the sweet spot. The difference vs 120Hz/144Hz is appreciable. I recently got a 360Hz monitor and honestly I can't tell a difference vs 240Hz, although maybe LCD response times are the reason for that as an OLED might make the difference more noticeable. Alongside faster GPUs like the 4090, CPUs are also getting ridiculously fast. Going from a 5800X in late 2020 to a 7800X3D in early 2023 was the biggest leap in CPU performance I ever experienced and it hasn't even been 3 years. With faster CPUs, 240Hz becomes more and more of a reality, and FG also is getting more widely adopted and works pretty great too.

Do we know that AMD might not surprise us with a GPU that can actually compete with Nvidias high end cards that could be available before the 5090?

Well if you want to listen to "rumors", then what everyone is saying now is that AMD has basically run into a wall with chiplet design and cannot fix it any time soon so they are abandoning it for next gen and just sticking with mid range monolithic GPUs for RX 8000 series. So no, AMD will not have anything to compete with Nvidia at all for the foreseeable future "according to rumors".

Wavering back and forth I finally caved and pre-ordered this panel yesterday, it just so happened that I am in the market for a Samsung 870 QVO 8TB drive and I figured I would use the $500 promotional credit towards the purchase of a pair of them ($700 with military discount), the monitor's total price was $2250 before tax. I had immediate buyer's remorse and spent the remainder of the day trying to justify the purchase. For context, I'm currently with Samsung's 49" G9 Neo on an Ergotron Arm with HD pivot pushed by a 4090 under water block + 12900k, full loop. The remorse stemmed from multiple concerns:

1. The performance hit. I was able to simulate the performance hit by enabling DSR of 2.25 in NVCP and it dropped my FPS in Spiderman Miles effectively in half, from 140-160 to 70-80 still totally playable but yes, you notice the considerable drop in fluidity. I also set up an intermediate DSR factor of 1.50x, putting it somewhere around 6100x1700, accounting for the fact that running content at 5120x1440 will still not be perfect due to pixel interpolation. The performance hit was lessened quite a bit, now I was around 110 FPS up from 70-80, but still nowhere near the 140-160. I don't need to play content at 150 FPS, but this was a best case scenario. Firing up The Witcher 3 next-gen with RT maxed out, DLSS: Quality and FG on I was at 60 FPS @ 7680x2160, effectively half the frame-rate of 5120x1440. With the intermediate DSR of 1.5x the FPS increased to 75-80. With native resolution and reducing DLSS quality to Performance the FPS also increased to 75-80.

Here's my issue, this panel will push older titles without RT with relative ease but newer titles compromises will need to be made, RT will need to be disabled or DLSS will need to be set to performance or you will need to play around with DSR factors or NIS to get a compromise image and here's the big problem, 5120x1440 will never look as sharp on the 57" panel because of both pixel interpolation and the reduction in PPD with the additional 8" of screen-size.

Add in the fact that math has been done to show that the 57" Neo has less dimming zones per pixel / size vs the 49" Neo. Add in the fact that I will need to jam screws of something else into the pivot of the Ergotron HD mount or deal with monitor arms protruding a massive 45cm into my desk space, right smack dab in my mouse sweep area. Add in the panel QC lottery nature of Samsung's monitors as of late (my current 49" Neo has zero problems aside from the heat induced popping noises when changing temp that is inherent to all G9's) and the fact that rather than looking at an increase in sharpness, outside of less demanding titles from 5 years ago, any newer title with Ray Tracing I can look forward to a blurrier picture due to needing to run DLSS on Ultra Performance or using NIS etc.

I've yet to see a comprehensive comparison between the 57" and 49" Neo in regards to HDR quality, peak nit brightness etc, and all of this remains to be answered, that there are fewer dimming zones per square inch in the 57" Neo leads me to believe this may be what is behind it's middling HDR performance as shown here:

View: https://youtu.be/NgE9pJ-OnXc?si=cfzPT_v4Tbg4eev8

For me I feel fortunate I was able to cancel my order before it shipped. This is definitely an upgrade in many aspects, from the increase in clarity in regards to productivity, web-browsing, viewing multi-media content etc. but in regards to gaming, right now, due to the limitations of DP 1.4a and current discrete GPU computing power (4090 can barely handle it in more demanding titles with RT and cannot currently convey 7680x2160 over 120 Hz and a firmware update may or may not make this possible over HDMI 2.1) and HDR potentially being a downgrade compared to the 49" G9.

My purchasing experience with this monitor was basically in reverse, I purchased it, kind of impulsively, already knowing full well most of the above, then via profound buyers remorse spent an entire day convincing myself to undo the decision.

If Ergotron already had an HD pivot available, if 240 Hz worked, if we had a GPU capable of pushing content with RT on and a sharp image north of 60 FPS (40 FPS in Cyberpunk 2077 with path tracing and FG on good lord!, for comparison this is 90 FPS on the 5120x1440 G9 Neo, which to my eyes is plenty sharp enough!) if the monitor wasn't $2500, if we had a better idea as to how the HDR performs versus the predecessor (2k nits wasn't entirely a marketing lie, the 49" G9 Neo is brighter than the 57" and I believe the greater FALD zone per square inch may have something to do with this).

Ultimately though, it's horror stories like this one, which abound, that pushed me towards an order cancellation. There truly is a lottery aspect with Samsung's monitors as of late, and right now, I'm with a winner and don't want to push my luck:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidem...8vt/57_odyssey_neo_g9_g95nc_first_impression/

Final Update:

After 20 days of use the monitor died. I have already returned the monitor. Maybe after Samsung fixes its QC issues, I will buy it again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidem...g/got_my_samsung_g9_neo_57_inch_1_dead_pixel/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/16p5qnu/g95nc_broken_after_2_weeks_uk_rip/

240Hz is definitely the sweet spot. The difference vs 120Hz/144Hz is appreciable. I recently got a 360Hz monitor and honestly I can't tell a difference vs 240Hz, although maybe LCD response times are the reason for that as an OLED might make the difference more noticeable. Alongside faster GPUs like the 4090, CPUs are also getting ridiculously fast. Going from a 5800X in late 2020 to a 7800X3D in early 2023 was the biggest leap in CPU performance I ever experienced and it hasn't even been 3 years. With faster CPUs, 240Hz becomes more and more of a reality, and FG also is getting more widely adopted and works pretty great too.
240hz seems to be the fluidity diminishing returns limit to my eyes (can barely tell 360hz is smoother) but I can definitely see the pixel response improvement at 360hz vs 240hz.

240hz seems to be the fluidity limit to my eyes (can't really tell if 360hz is smoother) but I can definitely see the pixel response improvement at 360hz vs 240hz.
And the panels are identical besides the refresh rate? Is pixel response time even dependent on refresh rate?

And the panels are identical besides the refresh rate? Is pixel response time even dependent on refresh rate?
Yes it's my brother's PG27AQN. We goofed around between refresh rates and when blind testing the only way I could tell 240 vs 360 apart consistently is actually by mouse feel followed by strafing to identify cleaner motion. To my eyes the gain in smoothness is inconsequential but the gain in visual clarity in motion is much greater.

Reactions: elvn
like this
Update to my last post here, unfortunately (or fortunately) I was unable to cancel my pre-order. Since it is being physically delivered I figured I would at least give the panel a chance as I have a 15 day return window. For incredibly demanding titles I intend to use NIS to upscale 5120x1440 or thereabout to 7680x2160 and try to gauge with my own eyes the fidelity loss. If it's approximate to 1440p with NIS I will probably in all likelihood keep the panel as I can run older less demanding titles at native resolution for a nice sharpness bump. What swayed my decision is chatter that the HDR may actually be improved upon over the 49" Neo:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/16qbt9b/comment/k1w5611/

Thanks! Fullscreen-brightness is 759 vs 630 on the 2021 Odyssey G9 Neo, and 1337nits vs 1,019nits at the 12% window, per RTINGS. but they also admit theirs is a retail unit with firmware 1006.1 and less bright than those with later firmware updates. The 2021 Odyssey Neo got firmware 1011 that made HDR much brighter and fixed some problems with HDR. The latest update, which I haven't tried yet is suppose to fix the scan line issues. From what I've seen in the video the brightness stability is supposed to be much better on the 2023 ver though.
Its weird. The old g9 neo i calibrated with 1000 nits in windows calibration tool. This new monitor seems to be atleast 30% brighter of not more. Near vesa 1400 capability. But people are still calbrsting this around 1000 nits... something aint right.

Ultimately though, checking my order history with Samsung, I paid the same amount for my G9 Neo when it launched roughly 2 years ago without the $500 credit that I can put towards a pair of 870 QVO 8TB drives. So as a value proposition, this is a better monitor with 2x 8TB 870 QVO drives for approximately the same price.

I will just use a pair of screws in my Ergotron HD pivot as shown at the 5:50 mark here:

View: https://youtu.be/5_8cVcQZRII?si=4dSBtRO5SkUVF9qK&t=352

Fingers crossed the unit doesn't die within 1-2 weeks.

Last edited:
Yes it's my brother's PG27AQN. We goofed around between refresh rates and when blind testing the only way I could tell 240 vs 360 apart consistently is actually by mouse feel followed by strafing to identify cleaner motion. To my eyes the gain in smoothness is inconsequential but the gain in visual clarity in motion is much greater.

That tracks well.
I've been guessing in replies for awhile that much over 200fpsHz would likely be diminishing returns on the motion definition aspect (more dots per dotted line curve/path shape, more unique animation cells in an animation flip book, a.k.a. "smoothness" or "glassy movement").

Motion clarity (aka "blur reduction") aspect should continue to improve noticeably up to 1000fpsHz and more though.

. . . . .

360fps at 1000 pixels/sec = 2.7 pixels of motion blur

blurbusters.pixels.of.motion.blur.fpsHz.png

. . . . .

If you were moving your entire viewport at 1000 pixels/second, everything on the 240Hz screen (at 240fps solid/minimum) would blur 4.1 pixels.
If you were moving your entire viewport at 1000 pixels/second, everything on the 360Hz screen (at 360fps solid/minimum) would blur 2.7 pixels.

If you were moving your entire viewport at 2000 pixels/second, everything on the 240Hz screen (at 240fps solid/minimum) would blur 8.2 pixels.
If you were moving your entire viewport at 2000 pixels/second, everything on the 360Hz screen (at 360fps solid/minimum) would blur 5.4 pixels.

etc. . .

In reality you might not be getting solid/minimums and instead be using averages utilizing VRR. When doing so the # of pixels of blur would fluctuate some with the frame rate range even if able to run the fpsHz up toward the peak of the monitor.

. . .

The problem is that at higher resolutions most games aren't going to get 240fps let lone 360fps, so you would still be getting blur levels equivalent to the fpsHz you are capable of getting on your machine on any particular game (and game settings). I think a lot of 360Hz screens are lower resolution though (often 1080p and some at 1440p like that PG27AQN) which makes sense vs gpu power. These 57 inch 7640 x 2160 super ultrawides are 240hz so they are pretty fast but with very high demand on gpu at that rez.. A lot of people want the capability of running 5040x2160 (21:9 with 1320x wide bars on each side), a middle 4k resolution (with 1920x wide bars on each side), etc to work on these so they can get higher fps to fill those Hz.

Last edited:
Do we know that AMD might not surprise us with a GPU that can actually compete with Nvidias high end cards that could be available before the 5090?
Bahaha, AMD have been out of the battle for GPU supremacy for more than decade now. There is no way in hell they will ever take the crown again in my opinion.

Guys I may have to return my monitor.

After a week of use, I realised there is a faint static ticking/popping noise coming from the monitor.

From near the back left side of the monitor. If I actually physically try to clamp the housing with my hands, I can make this noise disappear or reappear when it stops.

I don't actually know why its happening or what effects it even has, but its 100% there and does not sound rite. It is a very faint noise though, have to be pretty close to the housing to hear it. Does anyone know of what I am describing? Like has anyone heard of this sort of thing from a monitor before? First time I have ever come across any noise like that from all monitors I have ever used.

Fml.

Last edited:
Which side of the housing is it? Back left facing the screen? One side has the power circutry and the other is PCB with SoC/display controller.

It's probably coil whine. You can test if it gets more less severe by changing brightness from min to max on something like a white test slide.

Guys I may have to return my monitor.

After a week of use, I realised there is a faint static ticking/popping noise coming from the monitor.

From near the back left side of the monitor. If I actually physically try to clamp the housing with my hands, I can make this noise disappear or reappear when it stops.

I don't actually know why its happening or what effects it even has, but its 100% there and does not sound rite. It is a very faint noise though, have to be pretty close to the housing to hear it. Does anyone know of what I am describing? Like has anyone heard of this sort of thing from a monitor before? First time I have ever come across any noise like that from all monitors I have ever used.

Fml.
These superultrawides tend to get pretty hot so they can have some noises from e.g plastic expanding/contracting for one.

If it's more of an electrical noise then it's possible that it's coil whine like SoCali said. Maybe pressing on the housing can just stop whatever is vibrating from getting transmitted to the housing.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you start seeing malfunctions on the screen.

I never had one but I remember people saying plasma tvs had a noticeable whine that some were bothered by, also some PSUs, GPUs, and computer monitors were known for it. Without recording audio of it we are all just going by your description so hard to say if that's what it is.

I had creaking popping on a big tv due to heat before. I had the black back of a 70" vizio very low density FALD LCD tv to a picture window that got hit with sunlight, plus there were heat/central ac forced air exchanges in the floor behind it, even if directed with horizontal diverters. That setup would creak and even pop occasionally with temperature changes, especially at sundown after being hot all day. Eventually it even got a burn in patch/spot on it which was pretty large, the size of a plate more or less, and visible on solid bright fields. I re-arranged my whole living room before I bought an oled to replace it.

These monitors probably run pretty hot, especially in HDR. If the housing is under pressure then like kasakka said it could creak/pop/etc. The bowed design could make that more likely too. I think more higher nit HDR screens could benefit from: a bit more boxy ventillated housings, heat sinks, maybe even modular replaceable fan units on a cooling curve like a cpu/gpu/laptop but what you are describing might also be due to compression/tension on the housing itself.

. . . .

Is it always making that sound when it's on? Does running full bright white screen content make it happen or make it worse? People used to alternate black screen to bright white full screen back and forth to test for whining electronics/power but it could also work to test for heat if the screen has been off for awhile and cooled down.

. . . .

Which side of the housing is it? Back left facing the screen? One side has the power circutry and the other is PCB with SoC/display controller.

It's probably coil whine. You can test if it gets more less severe by changing brightness from min to max on something like a white test slide.

Yes, if it's the left side from the perspective of facing the back of it then according to that video it would be the power unit. That might indicate whine or other electric power noise (capacitors, etc.).

From that previous video link:

57inch.samsung.super.ultawide.power.supply_1.jpg

. .

This is an older link about another, older, samsung monitor's power pcb components where the person replaced the capacitors to repair it. Linking this in case it might give some kind of insight:

https://www.ljcaesar.com/2013/12/samsung-monitor-power-pcb-capacitor-repair/

If you have a Samsung LCD monitor that has started taking ages to turn on, flickers, has a flashing blue power button with a black screen (i.e. not the “no input” message), makes a high pitched whining noise or even fails to turn on at all, the problem is likely to lie with the power circuit board (IP-45130A, pictured below) inside. This board is used in many Samsung monitors including but not limited to the 226BW, 225BW and 223BW.

original-300x233.jpg

Samsung used really poor quality capacitors made by CapXon on these boards which, over time, will have deformed and stopped performing within tolerances. I repaired the board in my Samsung SyncMaster 226BW monitor which had gotten progressively worse to the point where it would not power on at all. This guide outlines the process.

. . .

What's the return window? If it's just creaking then maybe it will break in after more use (or not). If it annoys you enough I'd make a decision before the return window ends though. If it's something like the capacitors/power board ~ electronic noise that I felt was a flaw in my particular unit I'd be more likely to return it.

Last edited:
Then the easiest way would be to simply use the built in KVM functionality and not use PbP mode where you have to pick which USB-B port is in use and it's afaik not that fast to toggle. Without PbP you can assign PC1/PC2 USB-B port per HDMI input and it should switch when you switch inputs.
Hmm.. if I'm using 2x DP cables for each monitor (49" Neo G9 on top and 57" Neo G9 on bottom) how do I use the built-in KVM functionality? Can I use the USB ports on the monitor for the keyboard/mouse as well? I thought it's always better to connect the mouse/keyboard to the PC directly?

Also, what is the best DP cable to use with the 4090 for 7680x2160 @ 240Hz? Do I still use a DP 1.4 cable? 4090 doesn't even have a DP 2.1 connection iirc.

Hmm.. if I'm using 2x DP cables for each monitor (49" Neo G9 on top and 57" Neo G9 on bottom) how do I use the built-in KVM functionality? Can I use the USB ports on the monitor for the keyboard/mouse as well? I thought it's always better to connect the mouse/keyboard to the PC directly?

Also, what is the best DP cable to use with the 4090 for 7680x2160 @ 240Hz? Do I still use a DP 1.4 cable? 4090 doesn't even have a DP 2.1 connection iirc.
I currently have my mouse/keyboard connected to some crappy USB hub and then that hub connected to a CableMatters USB switch because the switch alone does not have enough ports for all the devices I want to switch. It has worked totally fine.

So I would just connect your mouse/keyboard to the G95NC USB ports and the USB-B ports to your computers.

I never had one but I remember people saying plasma tvs had a noticeable whine that some were bothered by, also some PSUs, GPUs, and computer monitors were known for it. Without recording audio of it we are all just going by your description so hard to say if that's what it is.

These monitors probably run pretty hot, especially in HDR. If the housing is under pressure then like kasakka said it could creak/pop/etc. The bowed design could make that more likely too. I think more higher nit HDR screens could benefit from: a bit more boxy ventillated housings, heat sinks, maybe even modular replaceable fan units on a cooling curve like a cpu/gpu/laptop but what you are describing might also be due to compression/tension on the housing itself.
My parents are still using my old 50" Panasonic ST50 plasma TV. It still runs like a champ and despite having fans, I've never heard anything audible on it. Of course, nobody is sitting close enough to it to hear.

I remember the Samsung CRG9 I had could sometimes have a bit of a sizzle sound to it coming from the power board side. It sounded almost like you had a soda can open and bubbling away. It was inaudible unless it was late at night when the ambient noise floor is low. A much more noticeable sound was a kind of ticking you heard from the plastics creaking when it was cooling down after use.

Looking at the pic you posted, the metal chassis probably acts a bit as a heatsink for the panel and the controller board does have a heatsink on it. I do agree that the designs could be thicker and boxier because how often are you even looking at the back? But I expect that it's a balancing act between cooling and making the display too heavy. These are already 15 kg as is without the stand, so if extra heatsinks or thicker chassis made them bigger and closer to 20 kg, that's extra cost to ship them and need an even beefier stand.

Once Samsung makes an OLED version of these in maybe 2025/2026 (2x 32" 4K QD-OLED panels) they can significantly reduce the weight.

My parents are still using my old 50" Panasonic ST50 plasma TV. It still runs like a champ and despite having fans, I've never heard anything audible on it. Of course, nobody is sitting close enough to it to hear.

I remember the Samsung CRG9 I had could sometimes have a bit of a sizzle sound to it coming from the power board side. It sounded almost like you had a soda can open and bubbling away. It was inaudible unless it was late at night when the ambient noise floor is low. A much more noticeable sound was a kind of ticking you heard from the plastics creaking when it was cooling down after use.

Looking at the pic you posted, the metal chassis probably acts a bit as a heatsink for the panel and the controller board does have a heatsink on it. I do agree that the designs could be thicker and boxier because how often are you even looking at the back? But I expect that it's a balancing act between cooling and making the display too heavy. These are already 15 kg as is without the stand, so if extra heatsinks or thicker chassis made them bigger and closer to 20 kg, that's extra cost to ship them and need an even beefier stand.

Once Samsung makes an OLED version of these in maybe 2025/2026 (2x 32" 4K QD-OLED panels) they can significantly reduce the weight.

Yes I get that but I meant a full back plate heatsink for the FALD LEDs like some panasonic (jz, gz) OLED tvs did in the uk according to hdtvtest. A full plate sandwiched to the whole field of the lighting/panel.

15kg ~ 33 lbs in the 57" super-ultrawide. These are getting more into gaming tv size territory where I wouldn't really care about the weight vs performance. I wouldn't trade off performance just to arm one and I definitely wouldn't put a huge footprint on top of a desk with a regular style stand in the first place, but that's me. A simple 4.7 stars~ $80 floor tv stand with a flat spine on amazon can hold 88 pounds (those seem good and there are nicer stands than that which are a little more pricey).

The 55" 16:9 1000R ark for comparison weights 46.5 pounds without the stand so it is also on the heavier side. (It weighs 91.5 pounds with the chonk on-desk stand lol - but if I had that type of screen, pref. in 8k someday, I'd put it on a floor tv stand).

. . . . . . .

I have little need for an articulating arm since my desk is on caster wheels for nearer/farther plus a stand can rotate and even has some 10deg +/- tilt (monoprice version even has a hand crank to change height to fine tune it up/down without having to un-rack it). These kinds of screens aren't really useful in portrait mode and I personally don't see the need to move them around much once mounted in place but people's needs can vary.

The one thing I could understand is maybe a sit/stand desk setup but I'd prob go with a hydraulic tv pillar at that point, or mount it on a second small sit/stand desk that can be controlled via bluetooth (and a stream deck's buttons ultimately so both desks could be controlled at once with multi-action buttons).. I've used a few 43" 16:9 screens on big ergotron arms in the past but I'm a big fan of decoupling displays and their mounts from the main peripherals desk entirely. I ended up putting the ergotron LX HD arms on a separate narrow desk against the wall and butting my peripherals desk up against that.

If I had to have an arm for some reason I'd prob figure out how to mount a wall version of an ergo arm to a strong tv stand or use a separate furniture pillar/table/bench of some sort. Basically a portable wall mount. A heavy duty LX HD version of this type of thing, but on a floor-footed tv stand or attached to a pillar/bench/table, etc. :

monitor.arm_lightweight.on.ottoman_1.png

This ergotron wall arm for example holds up to 42 pounds supposedly so could probably be mounted to a solid enough tv stand with some ingenuity - but perhaps there are also some heavy arms like this made for pole desk mounts that could instead fit onto a strong enough/large enough foot tv stand that had the same diamter pole on it.

45-478-216_98-540-216-a-orig.jpg

. . . . . . . . . .

Main point is that within reason I'd gladly trade off to heavier weight (incl a full plate heatsink), somewhat more boxiness + grille vents, even active fans (hopefully modular and user-replaceable + on user select-able cooling profiles via OSD) for better performance like higher nits, less heat/wear (or other electronic issues), avoiding aggressive ABL and getting longer/brighter sustained %'s of screen, etc. I think slim style tech is overrated vs performance. Also that loading larger and larger screens directly onto a peripherals desk isn't the best way to do things, space permitting, imo. The wall mount people have the right idea but I prefer things more modular than that personally if I can manage it.

Last edited:
15kg ~ 33 lbs in the 57" super-ultrawide. These are getting more into gaming tv size territory where I wouldn't really care about the weight vs performance. I wouldn't trade off performance just to arm one and I definitely wouldn't put a huge footprint on top of a desk with a regular style stand in the first place, but that's me. A simple 4.7 stars~ $80 floor tv stand with a flat spine on amazon can hold 88 pounds (those seem good and there are nicer stands than that which are a little more pricey).
Weight in this case is not about the end user experience. It's about what it costs to ship these things, what the stock stand stand design needs to be capable of doing and so on.

The box for the G95NC is already described as "did I receive a new fridge?" size. I remember the 49" model's box was already huge.

I currently have my mouse/keyboard connected to some crappy USB hub and then that hub connected to a CableMatters USB switch because the switch alone does not have enough ports for all the devices I want to switch. It has worked totally fine.

So I would just connect your mouse/keyboard to the G95NC USB ports and the USB-B ports to your computers.
okay, will try that. Using a Logitech MX Master 3 mouse so the dongle is actually plugged into the keyboard's USB slot right now - perhaps I'll plug it into the monitor as well.

But, bigger question - with the 4090 (Asus RoG Strix 4090 OC), can I run 7680x2160 @ 240hz as the monitor's "native res" and refresh rate with DP 1.4? Or is 7680x2160 @ 240Hz simply not possible with the 4090?

Weight in this case is not about the end user experience. It's about what it costs to ship these things, what the stock stand stand design needs to be capable of doing and so on.

The box for the G95NC is already described as "did I receive a new fridge?" size. I remember the 49" model's box was already huge.

Like I said these are in gaming TV territory. I brought a 77" c1 home myself no worries. BestBuy. The only reason I'd ship would be to get samsung discount and they usually have free shipping. (I just checked and the 92 pound ark shipment is free shipping).

I don't use the stock stand on the 77" oled either. :p

But, bigger question - with the 4090 (Asus RoG Strix 4090 OC), can I run 7680x2160 @ 240hz as the monitor's "native res" and refresh rate with DP 1.4? Or is 7680x2160 @ 240Hz simply not possible with the 4090?
At the moment 4090 is limited to 7680x2160 @ 120 Hz no matter which port type you use. Apparently 5120x1440 @ 240 Hz works.

We will just have to wait and see if Nvidia can fix it via driver updates. A couple of tech news sites have started reporting about the issue so hopefully that draws enough attention to it that Nvidia will prioritize fixing it.

At the moment 4090 is limited to 7680x2160 @ 120 Hz no matter which port type you use. Apparently 5120x1440 @ 240 Hz works.

We will just have to wait and see if Nvidia can fix it via driver updates. A couple of tech news sites have started reporting about the issue so hopefully that draws enough attention to it that Nvidia will prioritize fixing it.
holy ..o_0 I didn't realize this... hmm... should I cancel the pre-order?? What's the point of getting this monitor if it can't even be used at its full potential yet? Could we run it PBP at 3840x2160 @ 240hz (2x 4K @ 240hz) side by side or is that no doable either?

holy ..o_0 I didn't realize this... hmm... should I cancel the pre-order?? What's the point of getting this monitor if it can't even be used at its full potential yet? Could we run it PBP at 3840x2160 @ 240hz (2x 4K @ 240hz) side by side or is that no doable either?
PbP is limited to 120 Hz.

On my Neo G9 2021 49, just look at how bad the inverse ghosting is. Its visible even on my phone camera. Pre ordering a similar panel for 2 grand is just nuts. I am not sure how people find the Neo G9 49 usable in gaming,

View: https://youtu.be/4dXCjNxvZkI?si=ANlqfOw8iFPGZj30

Watch from 0:10 onwards. Captured it in slow motion to emphasise the effetc

On my Neo G9 2021 49, just look at how bad the inverse ghosting is. Its visible even on my phone camera. Pre ordering a similar panel for 2 grand is just nuts. I am not sure how people find the Neo G9 49 usable in gaming,

I posted videos of the same inverse ghosting in the Neo G9 thread when it launched. It's why I got rid of it (+DSE). It seriously is unusable.

I ordered this and if it's as severe it will go right back but I'm hoping the lower FPS due to the res will hide it because I noticed it most around 110FPS (not doubled via LFC) on the Neo G9.

I am thinking that also, with OLEDs now available even as "real" monitors, the comparission to something better in this regard suddenly got much easier and thus the requirements also increased. My guess is that perhaps in the future we won't talk as much of only refresh rate just like we stopped talking about CPUs in terms of their frequenzy maybe 10 (15? 20?) years ago.

Has anyone here played jedi survivor?

Have you got upto Vaslyn bounty yet?

She does this flash grenade move frequently, and everytime she does, it makes the entire screen go white for a few seconds.

Bloody hell, on this monitor it is searing bright, like im talking about almost brain damage bright on this monitor! I was shocked!

If you think the 700nits full screen white this monitor does is bright I wish you could see a PG32UQX. Its basically twice as bright for full screen white and uncomfortable to look at.

If you think the 700nits full screen white this monitor does is bright I wish you could see a PG32UQX. Its basically twice as bright for full screen white and uncomfortable to look at.

Where is it quoted to be 700 nits full screen?

I was tempted to get the PG32UQX, until I saw that it had horrendous blooming and ghosting.

700 nits full field white is bright though, at least if we're talking sustained brightness, for a quick flash yeah I guess you could say it ain't much. I would love to see anyone stare at a full field 700 nits white screen without any discomfort.

Well, decided to take a chance and get the G95NC to at least give it a chance even though I still have a feeling that the 65" QN900C will be what I end up with for the time being as I am really not that much into curved monitors and tend to prefer height over width. But this actually being 2160p might perhaps do it for me unlike previous attempts with the Neo G9 and compared with a triple monitor setup this should actually be a decrease in total width. Would have really preferred it to be dual 27" 4K rather than 32" but it seems like most people like it the other way around. A bit worried about the matte coating though, more specific the grain of it but I guess there is only one way to find out. Should be delivered in a few days.

I got mine yesterday. The box is huge and heavy. Much more so than I expected. I haven't opened it and taken the monitor out of the box yet. Looks like a daunting task which definitely needs two people.

I got mine yesterday. The box is huge and heavy. Much more so than I expected. I haven't opened it and taken the monitor out of the box yet. Looks like a daunting task which definitely needs two people.
Not as hard as it looks. I actually did it by myself.

And lifted it on to my desk by myself too.

Tell me your thoughts on it.

I just moved a 60 -65" CRT out of my parent's modeled basement yesterday. 4:3 fishbowl lol. It was out of use a very long time but finally got around to removing it from the basement along with some other stuff. I had to bring it up a narrow staircase by myself due to the layout. No dolly on hand so I did the one long arm thing with it sideways even though the front glass side was very lopsidedly heavy. Once I was on level ground it was easier with it closer to my body but it was prob still well over 100 lbs.

Back in the day I had fw900 crts that were 96lbs.

fw900.crt_sideways_1.jpg

During the time that 55" rear projection tvs were still the main large tv type I got a floor model xbr960 flat screen crt tv that was 34" wide screen and had a hdmi input. It was great for consoles since other LCD/rear projection tvs back then had 48ms - 75 ms input lag lol. I kept it in the same room as a 55" panasonic rear projection tv back then and the crt put it to shame. 34" might sound reasonably small nowadays but that thing had a giant horn back to it and the front glass was very heavy. The tv was 196 lbs and I moved that myself too. I probably used a dolly on the way in to help but when I was trashing it I just hauled it out.

xbr960.crt_1.png

xbr960.crt_2.png

. .

I realize everyone is not the same and all but by comparison this monitor and it's box aren't anything crazy imo.

. . . .

specs from samsung's site:

Dimensions (W x H x D)

Set Dimension with Stand (WxHxD)
52.3 x 23.7 x 19.7 Inches

Set Dimension without Stand (WxHxD)
52.3 x 16.9 x 13.3 Inches

Package Dimension (WxHxD)
57.3 x 16.5 x 21.9 Inches

Weight

Package Weight
59.1 Ibs

Set Weight with Stand
41.9 Ibs

Set Weight without Stand
34 Ibs

. . . . .

The (fished-eye distorted somewhat) Image below is from that unboxing video a few replies back. It'd be nice if they included some plastic pill shaped hand holds on it. I know samsung is going for the recycle-able box thing but it's full of plastic bags and styrofoam inside anyway :rolleyes:

It's 59 pounds and 22 inch by 17 inch around. Something like a very large 5 foot tall tower surround speaker that weighs ~ 60 lbs should be relatively easy to carry by yourself. With 2 people, nothing to it.

57inch.7680.samsung_box-size_1.jpg

My LG 77" C1 box was:

74.6"W x 44.5"H x 11.2"D and weighed 108.7 lbs.

Last edited:
It's not the weight that is the big problem. It's the shape, weight distribution and if it has any kind of handles and where they are. I've hauled heavy guitar amplifiers and speaker cabinets for years and just the difference between a single top handle vs two side handles can make all the difference.

I imagine that box would be a pain in the ass to move by yourself because it seems to have no handles unless you make some out of packing tape or something.

Back