Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 57" 7680x2160 super ultrawide (mini-LED)

And i don't understand why they make a display nearly 2m wide, but offer a dp cable thay is only 1m long. I had put my pc in the most awkard position to get the cable connected to the gpu. Ffs samsung!
Just go old school and put your monitor on top of the PC!
istockphoto-186598267-612x612.jpg
:p

Man, trying to loadreshade ingame @ 7680x2160 is not welcomed by reshade.

Games keep crashing when i try enabling reshade presets ingame at this res.

Man, trying to loadreshade ingame @ 7680x2160 is not welcomed by reshade.

Games keep crashing when i try enabling reshade presets ingame at this res.

Have you tried specialK ? It has a bunch of paramenters you can mess with. Can also try nvidia freestyle but it requires geforce experience running and only supports certain games. It's like reshade lite. They made it with the help of the guy who made reshade. Maybe you could also try starting reshade from scratch at base parameters instead of using presets and see if you get any farther shaping things incrementally.

And i don't understand why they make a display nearly 2m wide, but offer a dp cable thay is only 1m long. I had put my pc in the most awkard position to get the cable connected to the gpu. Ffs samsung!

You could get something like this fiber hdmi 2.1 cable

https://www.amazon.com/Ablink-48Gbps-Support-Compatible-Switch/dp/B08VNRJNRZ

Or this fiber dp 2.1 cable

https://www.amazon.com/FIBBR-Certified-DisplayPort-DP2-1-Supports/dp/B0C3CV76PY

They aren't exactly cheap though, especially the longer of a run you need.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok just done some gaming for a few hours, constantly switching between this and my current C242 Oled.

After few hrs of testing both together, I am still undecided which one I want to keep for gaming and which is going.

I played Cyberpunk 2077, Dying Light 2, Jedi Survivor, and Witcher 3 at native res for a few hrs between the two displays, using a RTX 4090 TUF OC.

Here is my impression.

The good:
The 57" NG9 7680x2160 is quiet immersive and impressive to behold ingame. The extra screen real estate ingame compared to 16:9 or other smaller monitors is quiet nice. The pixel response and motion is good i did not notice any ghosting and banding at all. The hdr is good, but I still think it could be better, possiblely with future firmware updates?

The brightness ingame is much better (obviously) than the C242. The image in a way, appears more lifelike because of the much higher brightness levels than the C242 and extra side vision.

The bad:
The FPS loss @ native res. As to be expected though.

But you lose a significant amount of fps! So much so, that when I fire up my C242, it immediately feels more comfortable to play games on because of all the fps, and smoothness you gain back. It just feels better!

Yes I know people say DLSS can save you, but using agressive DLSS makes the image look like arse! You can't say you won't notice it, because I bloody well can! So everyone can stop trying to sugar coat it, because lower DLSS setting is garbage! DLSS quality looks OK, but performance and lower quality settings is just trash to me. On the 57 NG9, if I use Quality DLSS+Frame gen @ native res, I average about
55fps in CP 2077
60fps in Jedi Survivor
65 fps in DL2

On my C242, I will get
85fps in CP2077,
88fps in Jedi Survivor,
93fps in DL2.

This fps gain is quiet noticeable to me, that extra fps is so much nicer to play with on the C242. Ontop of that, there is something about a glossy oled that looks better to me, it looks cleaner and in that way more realistic. And the blacks and contrast is slightly better on the C242 Oled which adds to the better image quality. But then again, when I fire up the games on the 57 NG9, and get that extra noticeably more brightness vibrancy, and the wider screen real estate, it once again confuses me in which one I like better out of this and the C242 lol. I am kind of leaning towards the 57 NG9, simply because I feel like its more immersive. But still unsure at this stage.

If we had the next gen GPUs already to give us the extra powerhouse to boost the fps on the 57 NG9 so that we dont have to rely on the garbage dlss performance image, than I would say the 57 NG9 is a no brainer out of the 2 displays. Anyways, gona game on them for a another week before I make up my mind which one goes.

Ok just done some gaming for a few hours, constantly switching between this and my current C242 Oled.

After few hrs of testing both together, I am still undecided which one I want to keep for gaming and which is going.

I played Cyberpunk 2077, Dying Light 2, Jedi Survivor, and Witcher 3 at native res for a few hrs between the two displays, using a RTX 4090 TUF OC.

Here is my impression.

The good:
The 57" NG9 7680x2160 is quiet immersive and impressive to behold ingame. The extra screen real estate ingame compared to 16:9 or other smaller monitors is quiet nice. The pixel response and motion is good i did not notice any ghosting and banding at all. The hdr is good, but I still think it could be better, possiblely with future firmware updates?

The brightness ingame is much better (obviously) than the C242. The image in a way, appears more lifelike because of the much higher brightness levels than the C242 and extra side vision.

The bad:
The FPS loss @ native res. As to be expected though.

But you lose a significant amount of fps! So much so, that when I fire up my C242, it immediately feels more comfortable to play games on because of all the fps, and smoothness you gain back. It just feels better!

Yes I know people say DLSS can save you, but using agressive DLSS makes the image look like arse! You can't say you won't notice it, because I bloody well can! So everyone can stop trying to sugar coat it, because lower DLSS setting is garbage! DLSS quality looks OK, but performance and lower quality settings is just trash to me. On the 57 NG9, if I use Quality DLSS+Frame gen @ native res, I average about
55fps in CP 2077
60fps in Jedi Survivor
65 fps in DL2

On my C242, I will get
85fps in CP2077,
88fps in Jedi Survivor,
93fps in DL2.

This fps gain is quiet noticeable to me, that extra fps is so much nicer to play with on the C242. Ontop of that, there is something about a glossy oled that looks better to me, it looks cleaner and in that way more realistic. And the blacks and contrast is slightly better on the C242 Oled which adds to the better image quality. But then again, when I fire up the games on the 57 NG9, and get that extra noticeably more brightness vibrancy, and the wider screen real estate, it once again confuses me in which one I like better out of this and the C242 lol. I am kind of leaning towards the 57 NG9, simply because I feel like its more immersive. But still unsure at this stage.

If we had the next gen GPUs already to give us the extra powerhouse to boost the fps on the 57 NG9 so that we dont have to rely on the garbage dlss performance image, than I would say the 57 NG9 is a no brainer out of the 2 displays. Anyways, gona game on them for a another week before I make up my mind which one goes.

That's the whole reason for people wanting to run the display at 1:1 pixel 5120x2160.....so you don't rely on lower tier DLSS levels. But then you could make the argument that you are losing out on immersion by not getting the full 32:9 real estate in games. Either way, my opinion is that this display is just too soon for today's GPUs. Sure it's great for "work" or "productivity" blah blah blah, but you are highly compromising the gaming experience by either using DLSS performance mode like you mentioned, or not even making full use of 32:9 and instead going for 21:9 @ 5120x2160 resolution. I would rather pick up this kinda display when I don't need to make such compromises.

Yes I agree with you, why on earth are people concerned about using this monitor at a lower res like 5120x2160 just so they get more fps. Doesnt that defeat the purpose of the extra real estate this monitor gives you!

Would you buy a Ferrari and remove a few cylinders just so you can save some money on petrol??

If your not gona get this monitor for 7680x2160 resolution, then I honestly would NOT waste the money on it

Last edited:
Yes I agree with you, why on earth are people concerned about using this monitor at a lower res like 5120x2160 just so they get more fps. Doesnt that defeat the purpose of the extra real estate this monitor gives you!
Cool story bro, let me know where I can buy a 240hz 5120x2160 monitor and I will consider getting that instead. :rolleyes:

Cool story bro, let me know where I can buy a 240hz 5120x2160 monitor and I will consider getting that instead. :rolleyes:
Im just saying, if anyone buys this monitor for only 5120x2160, it is a waste of money. If you don't mind wasting the money, and really want that 5120x2160 240hz because there is no other option out there, then ofcourse go ahead!

Would you buy a Ferrari and remove a few cylinders just so you can save some money on petrol??

If your not gona get this monitor for 7680x2160 resolution, then I honestly would NOT waste the money on it
It would if you only get it for playing games in native resolution. I would imagine that most people would mainly be interested in the resolution for work/productivity, at least I would. Sure, would be nice if you could game at native rez at 240 hz, but most buyers today probably realize that won't happen for a while.

I thought there was wasted room around my 38” Alienware, how big are your guys desks that are buying it? I looked at some of the photos but I’m bad at judging size, ask my ex.

Still can't make up my mid which one I want to keep out of the C242 and this.

The Glossy oled image is so much cleaner and clearer than these grainy looking non-oled panels.

Even though the ppi is much higher on the 57 NG9, to me the C242 still looks much sharper and better for some reason.

Reactions: elvn
like this
How are the viewing angles on this monitor? As bad as on the Neo G8? Is the HDR less washed out on the 57" G9?

The Glossy oled image is so much cleaner and clearer than these grainy looking non-oled panels.

Even though the ppi is much higher on the 57 NG9, to me the C242 still looks much sharper and better for some reason.

The perceived pixel density, pixels per degree, really isn't higher if you are sitting at ~ 60 deg human central viewing angle on a 4k screen, of any size really. It's only lower when you shoe-horn a larger gaming tv directly onto a desk, where it becomes more like 1400 - 1500p desktop sized screen's pixel sizes instead of fine 4k ones.

Most people would prob use the 57" 4k 'doublewide' screen as if they were sitting in front of a central 32" 4k 16:9 I'd think with the sides for immersion in games and as additional desktop space like a multi monitor setup, with an additional 1920wide x 2160 tall panel's worth of wings on each end (kind of like a bezel-free PLP setup). Otherwise if you sit back farther you'd shrink the super ultrawide down to a belt. So if you were sitting at that same viewing angle more or less on each (with the 42" 4k screen farther on a tv stand for example), they'd have the same ppd since they are both essentially 4k pixel screens, it's just that one has wider space to it like it's two 4k screens side by side. You can't drop back far enough with an ultrawide for the ppd to be much greater than that without it shrinking much too short imo. They are borderline height already to me even if sitting pretty close.

..At the human central viewing angle of 60 to 50 degrees, every 8k screen of any size gets around 127 to 154 PPD

..At the human central viewing angle of 60 to 50 degrees, every 4k screen of any size gets around 64 to 77 PPD

..At the human central viewing angle of 60 to 50 degrees, every 2560x1440 screen of any size gets only 43 PPD to 51 PPD

..At the human central viewing angle of 60 to 50 degrees, every 1920x1080 screen of any size gets only 32 PPD to 39 PPD

. .

If comparing the 57" '4k doublewide' at the same viewing distance as a 32" 4k centrally:

A 32" 4k screen within the human central viewing angle:

60 deg viewing angle, 64 PPD = 24 inch view distance screen surface to eyeballs

50 deg viewing angle, 77 PPD = 30 inch view distance screen surface to eyeballs

30 inch view distance is asking a bit much for a normal desk sitting with peripherals on top, screen surface to eyeballs but you can get 64PPD to 70 PPD at a healthy 60 deg to 55 deg viewing angle at 24 inch to 27 inch view distance, respectively.

So a 32" is just about perfect size for mounting on a desk. I'd go as far as a 36" 4k on a desk though personally. At 60 deg viewing angle it would still only be at 27 inch view distance. Any bigger than that and you are better off decoupling the screen from the desk entirely using a simple thin spined floor tv stand with a flat foot or caster wheels (or wall mounting but that's much less modular and less adjustable) and moving the desk farther back from the screen.

I don't think I'd sit farther than 24" - 26" away from my 32" 16:9 screen that is still being used on one system vs. the perceived height.

. .

I thought there was wasted room around my 38” Alienware, how big are your guys desks that are buying it? I looked at some of the photos but I’m bad at judging size, ask my ex.

1/2 + [32" 4k] + 1/2

57" 32:9, 7680x2160 super ultrawide FALD

Around 15.4" tall. That is the same height as a 32" 16:9 screen, (2 wide in this case, or like splitting another 4k screen in half and adding one of those halves to each side of the 4k screen sort-of).

A 32" 16:9 screen gets a 60 deg viewing angle at around 24" view distance, and gets a 50 deg viewing angle at around 30" view distance. 1000R curve is around 39.5" view distance ~ 40". So if you are sitting at where you'd perceptually have what a 32" 16:9 screen's height would normally be at a desk, the pixels/curvature would be aimed at or focused on a point considerably far behind you, 16" farther behind you if you sat a the 16:9's 60 deg point. You could sit a little farther away than normal but the farther away you sit, the shorter the screen will appear to you too so there are some limitations due to the curve radius imo. If you sat at the ~ 40" focal point of the curve it would be like sitting that far away from a 32" screen so it wouldn't really be viable that way imo as it would look shorter and belt-like.

raw numbers wise... maybe snoopi could chime in with actual size bezel to bezel at some point:

https://www.omnicalculator.com/other/screen-size

834273_cIoEkLA.png

=============================

Agree that matte abraded out layers are a big downgrade so a major tradeoff for me on those kinds of screens. I appreciate your replies about it as it's something that bothers me.

Last edited:

These pictures a few people took of their 57" s-uw are more head on so might give a better idea. Most pictures are sidelong which distort things, like viewing a car photo over the hood. Some camera lenses also introduce distortion.

57inch.s-ultrwide.head.on.at.desk_1.pg.jpg

57inch.s-ultrwide.head.on.at.desk_3.jpg

57inch.s-ultrwide.thumbs.up_1.pg.jpg

Not everyone is buying this as a 100% gaming display. My use case is 75/25% productivity/gaming. I have no problem running tough games @ 4K or with a resolution hack with some black bars. What's appealing about this monitor is I can replace 2-3 displays with 1. Besides this though I've always mentioned that 32:9 is dumb in games because you get practically nothing of benefit at the edges vs 21:9 due to all the fish eye (yes even when adjusting FOV).

5120x2160 or 3840x2160 as needed is no problem when gaming. The rest of the screen real estate isn't wasted to me because I have my work scatted all over it 8 hours a day.

I still can't wrap my head around buying this display and then complaining about performance in games as if its some revelation.

The resolution is for desktop use. To me the main issue with gaming at 32:9 is the FOV distortion at the edges, which makes it a bit pointless use of rendering resources. By shrinking down to 6144x2160 or even 5120x2160 you would gain a good chunk of performance and reduce that distortion.

The full res is mainly nice for racing games and flight sims.

I thought this monitor was supposed to have the lighter kind of matte coating and not the same atrocious one found on the Neo G8.

I thought this monitor was supposed to have the lighter kind of matte coating and not the same atrocious one found on the Neo G8.
Its the standard Samsung matte found on the Neo G7 and prior Neo G9 and not the super thick and hazy G8 coating.

Its the standard Samsung matte found on the Neo G7 and prior Neo G9 and not the super thick and hazy G8 coating.

I still find it too aggressive.

I gues I don't like these costings at all.

I wish we could have an option to choose glossy like some other manufacturers will be doing in the future.

This is frustrating, I cannot get any custom resolution to work.
What am I doing wrong, I cannot get any of the custom resolutions.

I added these:

5120×2160,16,32,64=1F;

6400×1800,16,32,64=1F;

3584x1008,16,32,64=1F;

to the NV_Modes file in regedit

I selected GPU scaling.

I rebooted, but they never show up. BTW, the NV_Modes registry is found in multiple places. Which one am I suppose to edit, I tried 2 different ones and still could not get a good result.

This is frustrating, I cannot get any custom resolution to work.
What am I doing wrong, I cannot get any of the custom resolutions.

I added these:

5120×2160,16,32,64=1F;

6400×1800,16,32,64=1F;

3584x1008,16,32,64=1F;

to the NV_Modes file in regedit

I selected GPU scaling.

I rebooted, but they never show up. BTW, the NV_Modes registry is found in multiple places. Which one am I suppose to edit, I tried 2 different ones and still could not get a good result.

I don't have much experience with custom resolutions but perhaps CRU would be better than trying to do it through NVCP.

Ok so was using this monitor a bit more last night in CP2077.

My gawd, it is quiet immersive at full res. It almost feels like VR because how it just engulfs your vision.

The more i started walking around in Night City and just spectating to see if I am enjoying the experience or if I prefer my C242, i feel like the more I cannot go back to 16:9 C242.

Just experiencing the full 32:9, the great contrast and extremly good brightness of lights, i just find it harder to want to switch back to my C242, even if I am only getting 55-62fps on max detail with DLSS performance.

My biggest complaint is, I just wish the screen didnt look so grainy, and I wish it looked as sharp as my C242.

Anyways, all in all, its an impressive monitor to experience in gaming!

Ok so was using this monitor a bit more last night in CP2077.

My gawd, it is quiet immersive at full res. It almost feels like VR because how it just engulfs your vision.

The more i started walking around in Night City and just spectating to see if I am enjoying the experience or if I prefer my C242, i feel like the more I cannot go back to 16:9 C242.

Just experiencing the full 32:9, the great contrast and extremly good brightness of lights, i just find it harder to want to switch back to my C242, even if I am only getting 55-62fps on max detail with DLSS performance.

My biggest complaint is, I just wish the screen didnt look so grainy, and I wish it looked as sharp as my C242.

Anyways, all in all, its an impressive monitor to experience in gaming!
So Samsung is still using that coating making everything with a white background appearing 'dirty'? If so, kind of rules it out of a 75%+ work scenario, at least for me.

So Samsung is still using that coating making everything with a white background appearing 'dirty'? If so, kind of rules it out of a 75%+ work scenario, at least for me.
Unfortunately yes, its so grainy that I can notice it in every situation. I don't know why they do this, do they expect most people not to notice or care?

I have very good spotting detail eyes, so I can notice it clearly on this monitor. Its my only real dislike about this display. I suppose I can get use to it though, as I am slowly getting use to the fps drop to 60 just to run AAA games.

New review from China, use subtitles.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgE9pJ-OnXc

TL;DR:
  • Native contrast ratio ~3000:1.
  • Not very good brightness/color uniformity on the panel. This will vary per display.
  • Viewing angles are poor as is typical for VA.
  • Max 805 nits brightness in SDR mode. Color accuracy in sRGB out of the box is good, but there's a much higher dE in the default P3 mode. Probably good enough for most users without calibration.
  • 1337 nits peak brightness in HDR at 12% window, over 1000 nits sustained at 30%, 759 nits at 100% window size. Better brightness stability than Neo G8, but slightly worse blooming.
  • EOTF tracking seems to vary based on which picture mode is in use. Seems to be ok but not perfect, except for the "Game" preset which is way out of wack. Though the review says "Game mode", this should not be mistaken for input lag reducing game modes on TVs etc. It's just a HDR preset named "Game."
  • No noticeable ghosting in Standard response time mode. Noticeable ghosting in Faster/Extreme mode. Doesn't say which is used in VRR mode or if it sticks to whatever you selected.
Curiously this review says there's 1x HDMI 2.1 48 Gbps port (middle one) and 2x HDMI 2.1 32 Gbps ports, which would go against the manual which states two 240 Hz capable HDMI ports. I wonder if there is a different SKU sold in China with gimped specs vs the west?

There's also shots of the internals in this video which is cool. It has 1.5 GB of RAM on the display (twice that of the Neo G8) and uses Samsung's MagicColor chip, which also seems to be used on the Neo G8/G7.

For comparison I watched the Neo G8 review from the same channel and this seems very much like an iteration of the Neo G8 as dual panels in every way. HDR performance seems to be a lot better, maybe just by virtue of having two panels and more mini-LEDs.

Everything here is pretty much expected. Shame there's nothing said about the antiglare coating, whether it's the grainier Neo G8 one or the less grainy Neo G7.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlHaaGzcQIQ

This is more of a productivity use review from someone who has had all the Samsung superultrawides + ARK. Don't expect numbers here but just practical uses and caveats specifically with Macs.

It's a shame so few have M2 Max Macs to test these outs because on the M1's it's pretty clear that PbP mode is a necessity to get full resolution. Thank you Apple for your shitty ass HDMI 2.0 port on the M1, which is why I'm glad I waited for the M2 models and have one sitting on my desk for work.

New review from China, use subtitles.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgE9pJ-OnXc

TL;DR:
  • Native contrast ratio ~3000:1.
  • Not very good brightness/color uniformity on the panel. This will vary per display.
  • Viewing angles are poor as is typical for VA.
  • Max 805 nits brightness in SDR mode. Color accuracy in sRGB out of the box is good, but there's a much higher dE in the default P3 mode. Probably good enough for most users without calibration.
  • 1337 nits peak brightness in HDR at 12% window, over 1000 nits sustained at 30%, 759 nits at 100% window size. Better brightness stability than Neo G8, but slightly worse blooming.
  • EOTF tracking seems to vary based on which picture mode is in use. Seems to be ok but not perfect, except for the "Game" preset which is way out of wack. Though the review says "Game mode", this should not be mistaken for input lag reducing game modes on TVs etc. It's just a HDR preset named "Game."
  • No noticeable ghosting in Standard response time mode. Noticeable ghosting in Faster/Extreme mode. Doesn't say which is used in VRR mode or if it sticks to whatever you selected.
Curiously this review says there's 1x HDMI 2.1 48 Gbps port (middle one) and 2x HDMI 2.1 32 Gbps ports, which would go against the manual which states two 240 Hz capable HDMI ports. I wonder if there is a different SKU sold in China with gimped specs vs the west?

There's also shots of the internals in this video which is cool. It has 1.5 GB of RAM on the display (twice that of the Neo G8) and uses Samsung's MagicColor chip, which also seems to be used on the Neo G8/G7.

For comparison I watched the Neo G8 review from the same channel and this seems very much like an iteration of the Neo G8 as dual panels in every way. HDR performance seems to be a lot better, maybe just by virtue of having two panels and more mini-LEDs.

Everything here is pretty much expected. Shame there's nothing said about the antiglare coating, whether it's the grainier Neo G8 one or the less grainy Neo G7.

What was also mentioned was that the local dimming wasn't all that good. Or rather, it probably was as good as expected, but there has (as usual) been several owners claiming no haloing/blooming at all, like an OLED etc.

What was also mentioned was that the local dimming wasn't all that good. Or rather, it probably was as good as expected, but there has (as usual) been several owners claiming no haloing/blooming at all, like an OLED etc.

I can defs say there is some blooming, more than my old Neo G9 unfortunately.

On my Neo G9 27", i could never notice blooming unless i viewed the screen on angle.

On this 57", i can see slightly some even straight on at the screen, but nothing major or too concerning to me.

Also, after using it for a few days I am still torn on which of the 2 (57" or C242)

I realy like this screen, it does indeed have very good HDR gaming image quality, very comparable to the OLeD, and almost a better picture because of its insanely good brightness. But the performance at this res is so hard to bear!

I wish I could still SLi GPUs and I would throw in a 2nd 4090.

I can defs say there is some blooming, more than my old Neo G9 unfortunately.

On my Neo G9 27", i could never notice blooming unless i viewed the screen on angle.

On this 57", i can see slightly some even straight on at the screen, but nothing major or too concerning to me.
Manufacturers should really just offer multiple algorithms that favor blooming minimization, max brightness or some balance between the two so users can choose their preference. Otherwise it's going to be "dims too much, too much blooming" complaints.

Also, after using it for a few days I am still torn on which of the 2 (57" or C242)

I realy like this screen, it does indeed have very good HDR gaming image quality, very comparable to the OLeD, and almost a better picture because of its insanely good brightness. But the performance at this res is so hard to bear!

I wish I could still SLi GPUs and I would throw in a 2nd 4090.
Did you ever get those custom resolutions working? I tried https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Scaled-Resolution-Editor-SRE recently and it seems to write those NV_modes values, but at least on my Samsung G70A I can only add e.g 3840x1600 @ 120 Hz instead of the full DSC-requiring 144 Hz.

To me the sensible thing would be to either avoid the full res and run at say 6144x2160 or 5120x2160, and/or use DLSS to mitigate the performance loss while enjoying the desktop space at full res.

-snoopi- Could you dump the EDID files from the display for me to look at? I'm just interested in seeing what's there and if it behaves like other Samsung monitors.

Use Custom Resolution Utility to export them. Just hit the Export button, any of the formats is fine.

But what I would also like you to do is this:

Dump EDID with different display OSD settings enabled.

1. Dump with Adaptive Sync and 240 Hz enabled.
2. Dump with Adaptive Sync and 120 Hz enabled.
3. Dump with Adaptive Sync disabled and 240 Hz enabled.
4. Dump with Adaptive Sync disabled and 120 Hz enabled.

This will potentially output completely different EDID options. At least it does on my G70A.

Manufacturers should really just offer multiple algorithms that favor blooming minimization, max brightness or some balance between the two so users can choose their preference. Otherwise it's going to be "dims too much, too much blooming" complaints.

Did you ever get those custom resolutions working? I tried https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Scaled-Resolution-Editor-SRE recently and it seems to write those NV_modes values, but at least on my Samsung G70A I can only add e.g 3840x1600 @ 120 Hz instead of the full DSC-requiring 144 Hz.

To me the sensible thing would be to either avoid the full res and run at say 6144x2160 or 5120x2160, and/or use DLSS to mitigate the performance loss while enjoying the desktop space at full res.
I couldnt get custom res working. I might try the app later. And I have been using DLSS and the performance still sucks balls unfortunately. DLSS ultra performance will gain me decent fps back, but the image quality tanks alot with Ultra performance setting. Current gen GPUs are just not ready for this monitor. I hope the 5090 has a 2x performance gain or we are still in deep trouble here.

-snoopi- Could you dump the EDID files from the display for me to look at? I'm just interested in seeing what's there and if it behaves like other Samsung monitors.

Use Custom Resolution Utility to export them. Just hit the Export button, any of the formats is fine.

But what I would also like you to do is this:

Dump EDID with different display OSD settings enabled.

1. Dump with Adaptive Sync and 240 Hz enabled.
2. Dump with Adaptive Sync and 120 Hz enabled.
3. Dump with Adaptive Sync disabled and 240 Hz enabled.
4. Dump with Adaptive Sync disabled and 120 Hz enabled.

This will potentially output completely different EDID options. At least it does on my G70A.
Ok will do this later.

I couldnt get custom res working. I might try the app later. And I have been using DLSS and the performance still sucks balls unfortunately. DLSS ultra performance will gain me decent fps back, but the image quality tanks alot with Ultra performance setting. Current gen GPUs are just not ready for this monitor. I hope the 5090 has a 2x performance gain or we are still in deep trouble here.
I'd rather just drop details than use DLSS ultra performance. The visuals hit is just too much. DLSS Performance is sometimes ok, but DLSS Balanced/Quality are what I prefer and they performed alright in the games I tested using 2x 4K displays in Nvidia Surround. Getting narrower custom resolutions working would be the biggest possible performance boost.

I would expect a 5090 to primarily improve RT/AI performance unless Nvidia jumps to the multi-chip systems for that gen. Apple is probably hogging all 3nm TSMC production for at least a year.

There has not been a 2x performance gain gen on gen for over 10 years. Even the 3090 to 4090 which is considered the biggest leap of the last decade was not 2x. There is no way the 5090 will be 2x a 4090 sadly.

There has not been a 2x performance gain gen on gen for over 10 years. Even the 3090 to 4090 which is considered the biggest leap of the last decade was not 2x. There is no way the 5090 will be 2x a 4090 sadly.
I agree and am fully aware of the performance gains each generation, I know because I have had every Nvidia flagship each generation for the past 18 years.

But my fingers are crossed, that there is a miracle this time around by nvidia lol especially with all these high pixel dense and high refresh monitors are coming out like no tommorow, maybe they can up the ante just a bit more.

Anyways, it may well be wishful thinking.

Oh my, with that price I have to ask the wife. I already know the answer. :p

Back