Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 57" 7680x2160 super ultrawide (mini-LED)

I use Genelec 8030C which won't fit on my desk with this monitor. Not sure what to do yet. I may put them on stands on the sides of the desk, but the stereo image will be too wide.
Yeah I ran into that problem with the 49" Samsung CRG9 already. I use the Genelec M040 which are about the same size as the 8040 series.

To me the only real solution is to put them on poles behind the desk, above the display and tilted downward towards the listener.

HDR1000 certification is great news. That potentially means it will maintain 1100nits+ for 10% highlights and not do any of that weird ABL of past Samsung FALD monitors.

I think preorders for America at least will go live early next month.

HDR1000 certification is great news. That potentially means it will maintain 1100nits+ for 10% highlights and not do any of that weird ABL of past Samsung FALD monitors.
Yeah I hope that's the case too. Samsung still advertises the HDR2000 bullshit on their Neo G8 page for example but not on this one.

I really hope they have somebody good at the helm for this product so it turns out great right out of the box instead of the usual "months of firmware fixes" crap.

I use Genelec 8030C which won't fit on my desk with this monitor. Not sure what to do yet. I may put them on stands on the sides of the desk, but the stereo image will be too wide.
Sound Anchor FSTT stands will let you mount them over the monitor with ease.
1689960440269.png

Can those be angled down towards you?
Yes, the platforms have a set screw that lets them pivot on one axis. In the above orientation, they would tilt left or right, but if you rotate the stands 90 degrees, they will tilt up or down.

Last edited:
Someone on Reddit found a product page for the Neo G9 57"!

https://www.samsung.com/latin_en/mo...57-inch-240hz-curved-dual-uhd-ls57cg950nnxza/

Key things:

* For the world's first full DUHD and 240Hz ultra high performance support, the graphics card being used must support DP 2.1 (UHBR 13.5 and above) or HDMI 2.1 (FRL 12Gbps). Actual specifications and support may vary by graphics card. Please refer to your graphics card specifications for more details.

So it has full 48 Gbps HDMI 2.1 ports, thus 240 Hz @ 8-bit color is possible over HDMI. It remains to be seen if they use the so far unused DSC 3.75:1 ratio compression to also do 10-bit 240 Hz or if it's just 200-220 Hz @ 10-bit with DSC 3:1 ratio.

2392 dimming zones, so double the Neo G8's dimming zones, as expected.

It's VESA DisplayHDR 1000 certified, which afaik is pretty rare for Samsung. No mention of the HDR2000 bollocks. I hope this means that it will follow EOTF better and they have really tried to push this as a true flagship monitor.

3x HDMI 2.1 ports is also confirmed, as well as a USB 3.0 hub. Whether it has USB-C or USB-B -> USB-A to computer is unknown, USB-C would be more convenient. The picture about connectivity does show a USB-C icon but that might be just marketing material.

Interestingly the KVM Switch is also marked as "Yes" in the specs list, so remains to be seen if it actually has something like that. I expect all specs to be poorly copy pasted stuff.

The "brightness (min)" section is also weird as it says 350 nits there but I assume this might be another bad copy paste or is instead meant to indicate some panel to panel variance since there's the "brightness (typical)" section at 420 nits.

There's also no mention of any smart TV capabilities but it could be an incomplete product page.

I also recommend trying the AR option on the top of the page near the images if you read the site with a phone or tablet. It looks pretty massive on my desk, in a good way.

According to some sources last week, the samsung version of this drops August 23rd. I won't be buying for awhile yet. Besides, I want to see what the TCL version is like. Just posting the info in case any didn't see it.

According to some sources last week, the samsung version of this drops August 23rd. I won't be buying for awhile yet. Besides, I want to see what the TCL version is like. Just posting the info in case any didn't see it.

I saw it, but I think that date is just for pre-order.

I won't buy it until a few people post their experiences.

Based on their TV's, I have 0 faith in TCL. Hard to believe but their firmware is even more janky than Samsung.

Based on their TV's, I have 0 faith in TCL. Hard to believe but their firmware is even more janky than Samsung.

Idk might be worth trying with a 5 yr bb warranty. Samsung doesn't have dolby vision and TCL probably will. A higher end TCL might be more solid than one of their bargain basement models also. Samsung usually prices way higher than most mfgs for the first year or so too with a big early adopter fee. I'm interested in seeing what TCL can do on this. They bought the fab for this screen from samsung I guess. Samsung sometimes sources TCL for panels in the past too. That doesn't mean anything vs the fw rollouts though sure. I don't care if their smarttv stuff, roku, cableTV, or built in speakers/sound is crap either as long as the regular desktop and gaming display features work right, FALD, VRR, and with hdmi 2.1, dp 2.1, eARC etc properly. Come to think of it, idk if TCL has ever made a desktop monitor before so this might be new ground.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_sells_its_lcd_plant_in_china_to_tcl_for_18_billion-news-45004.php

The total deal is worth $1.8 billion - 60% of the plant will be owned by CSOT, 10% by its parent company TCL, while the rest 30% will be handed out to the Suzhou government. The plant produced 27% of Samsung Display’s total amount of LCD panels, with most of them being for monitors and TVs.

This step is a confirmation to earlier reports that Samsung is trying to discontinue its LCD business and will refocus to quantum dot screens.

The Korea Herald reported that the plant has three 8.5-generation production lines and one 11-generation line, the latter planning to begin manufacturing from early next year. Interestingly enough, the report also revealed Samsung Display reinvested $723 million into TCL-related companies to acquire 12.33% of their shares.

I really hope that's not HDR because it looks terrible.

HDR looks somewhat washed out on all the Samsung VA panels. This one is likely to be similar - not the best if HDR image quality is your first priority. It has other strengths, though.

Hdr gets compressed in a sdr image down to sdr range, and poorly, when a sdr capture method is used so even if the screen was in hdr that wouldn't be what you are seeing unless they used a hdr screen capture method or a hdr photo/video mode on their phone or camera (and the file type they ended up with + the forum they posted it on kept that intact). I think the higher the range the worse it would look. Look at how clipped the light is at the start of the tomb raider gif. No detail at all. I think those pictures are more to show the format than trying to capture hdr color volume. He's also running a lower resolution 5120x1440.

Regardless, it's unlikely that HDR will be significantly better on this monitor than it is on the other Samsung VA monitors (where it's washed out). Likely similar to the Neo G8 in particular.

Matte abraded surface doesn't help.

Last edited:
Manual confirms that HDMI ports 2 and 3 support 240 Hz. HDMI 1 only supports 120 Hz and seems like it might become unavailable if the display is set to 240 Hz from the OSD.

Manual available here: https://www.samsung.com/dk/support/model/LS57CG952NUXEN/#downloads

This also supports KM feature via USB by allowing connections to two computers. Shame it doesn't seem to be possible to tie it to e.g input changes.

This seems overall like an iteration of the old Neo G9 and doesn't include smart TV crap.

Last edited:
I thought this thing does include the smart TV crap. Glad it doesn't.
Yeah me too. Based on the OLED G9/G8 the Tizen version has all kinds of bugs.

OLED G9 Picture by Picture mode doesn't even have the 21:9 + 11:9 modes which have been my favorite way of working on these superultrawides. Run one input as ultrawide and the second as a smaller area, then get separate virtual desktops from them so you can cram e.g "secondary" stuff like terminals, Slack, Teams, Outlook etc on the smaller portion and flick between them with MacOS virtual desktops.

To me the weird thing about this monitor are the Refresh rate options. There's so many weird caveats on these based on the manual:

Refresh Rate: Change the screen refresh rate. A higher refresh rate can reduce eye strain.
Options:

1. DisplayPort: 120 Hz / 240 Hz
  2. HDMI: 120 Hz / 240 Hz
Notes:
  • The HDMI 1 port is not available when Refresh Rate is set to 240 Hz.
  • This menu is not available when PIP/PBP is enabled.
  • This option is not available when Adaptive-Sync is set to Off.
  • This option is not available when FreeSync Premium Pro is set to Off.
I fully expect Samsung is up to their usual shenanigans where they basically have a whole different mode when adaptive sync is on. This might cause problems like DLDSR factors not working. At least on my Samsung G70A those options just disappear if Adaptive Sync is on, but they come back if it's turned off and the display dropped down to 120 Hz.

My guess is that the HDMI 1 port is intended for game consoles and the controller in the display just doesn't support 3x 48 Gbps HDMI 2.1 ports. It's still a bit weird that it's not apparently available at all if refresh rate is set to 240 Hz. Maybe in this scenario HDMI 2 and 3 eat all the bandwidth.

Another interesting feature is the USB switching.

There's two USB-B ports labeled PC1/PC2, and two USB-A ports for hooking up USB devices. It seems you can switch between these in PbP mode, but the System menu also has an item called "USB Source Setup: Set up a USB port assigned to the video source."

If this feature is any good, you might be able to assign USB ports to different inputs, thus being able to switch USB devices between two computers simply by switching inputs on the monitor. While this is not going to work for someone who is constantly going between two computers, for me this would simplify things. Atm I press a button on a 4 port USB Switch to toggle between my work laptop and personal desktop PC at the end of the workday when I want to go e.g game on my PC, then I have to switch the display inputs as well.

Final point of interest from the manual: "Best Brightness: Optimises brightness in real time, based on your lighting environment." Seems there's a light sensor built into the display which can try to adjust brightness automatically. There's also a Minimum brightness setting that becomes available if Best brightness is enabled. Usually these features don't work that well for me, but it's worth a try.

Manual confirms that HDMI ports 2 and 3 support 240 Hz. HDMI 1 only supports 120 Hz and seems like it might become unavailable if the display is set to 240 Hz from the OSD.

Manual available here: https://www.samsung.com/dk/support/model/LS57CG952NUXEN/#downloads

This also supports KM feature via USB by allowing connections to two computers. Shame it doesn't seem to be possible to tie it to e.g input changes.

This seems overall like an iteration of the old Neo G9 and doesn't include smart TV crap.

Hmmm, also indicates that 5120x2160 is not natively supported out of the box....utterly retarded for a monitor this wide.

Crazy that Samsung actually shipped the monitor!

Hmmm, also indicates that 5120x2160 is not natively supported out of the box....utterly retarded for a monitor this wide.
Yeah that is very disappointing. Like can't they sacrifice some weird resolutions there that nobody will ever use?

Hopefully it can be added as custom res or games will just allow selecting it.

He said he was running 5120 x1440 which maps perfectly without bars, using scaling... b/c his gpu isn't that powerful. I'd hope custom resoulutions would be possible but the user "improvise" said in the 8k threads that the samsung 900b 8k screen he had for a time would force upscaling and wouldn't do native resolutions 1:1 pixel with bars/letterboxing. The games would always be transmitted at 8k 60hz essentially. He suspected that hdmi 2.1's DSC might be a limitation preventing 1:1 per pixel (no scaling) of smaller resolutions resulting in black bars. If so, might have to try using a dp 2.1 gpu with no DSC active on this screen to get around it if DSC is the limiter - assuming you could turn off DSC when using dp 2.1 that is. Idk just passing that along to think about.

He said he was running 5120 x1440 which maps perfectly without bars, using scaling... b/c his gpu isn't that powerful. I'd hope custom resoulutions would be possible but the user "improvise" said in the 8k threads that the samsung 900b 8k screen he had for a time would force upscaling and wouldn't do native resolutions 1:1 pixel with bars/letterboxing. The games would always be transmitted at 8k 60hz essentially. He suspected that hdmi 2.1's DSC might be a limitation preventing 1:1 per pixel (no scaling) of smaller resolutions resulting in black bars. If so, might have to try using a dp 2.1 gpu with no DSC active on this screen to get around it if DSC is the limiter - assuming you could turn off DSC when using dp 2.1 that is. Idk just passing that along to think about.
My understanding on the older G9/Neo G9 it has been difficult to use custom resolutions at 240 Hz with Nvidia. Some have had success by editing registry NV_Modes and adding their custom resolution there. These Samsungs seem complicated enough that e.g CRU EDID adjustments won't do as a lot of the stuff needed seems to be buried into DisplayID blocks. Don't know if there's some better EDID/DisplayID editor out there nowadays that could do the job.

Another workaround could be running the game in windowed mode, resizing it to preferred resolution and using a borderless gaming tool to remove any borders from it. I tried this approach when I was benchmarking the dual 4K displays in Nvidia Surround. I made the right res PowerToys zone and just assigned the window to that. Several games I tried would scale the game view to that just fine. Of course, this could mean caveats with input lag and whatnot but with the way borderless window mode works these days it might not be a problem.

Some games, when given a "less than full screen" resolution in borderless window mode, will just render that in the narrower area on the screen, showing your desktop from the sides. I know at least RDR2 and Cyberpunk 2077 will do this.

I think we will see more testing on this when more people get their monitor within the next month or so.

Reactions: elvn
like this
My understanding on the older G9/Neo G9 it has been difficult to use custom resolutions at 240 Hz with Nvidia. Some have had success by editing registry NV_Modes and adding their custom resolution there. These Samsungs seem complicated enough that e.g CRU EDID adjustments won't do as a lot of the stuff needed seems to be buried into DisplayID blocks. Don't know if there's some better EDID/DisplayID editor out there nowadays that could do the job.

Another workaround could be running the game in windowed mode, resizing it to preferred resolution and using a borderless gaming tool to remove any borders from it. I tried this approach when I was benchmarking the dual 4K displays in Nvidia Surround. I made the right res PowerToys zone and just assigned the window to that. Several games I tried would scale the game view to that just fine. Of course, this could mean caveats with input lag and whatnot but with the way borderless window mode works these days it might not be a problem.

Some games, when given a "less than full screen" resolution in borderless window mode, will just render that in the narrower area on the screen, showing your desktop from the sides. I know at least RDR2 and Cyberpunk 2077 will do this.

I think we will see more testing on this when more people get their monitor within the next month or so.

The problem with the 8k screens is at the native rez of the screen you are dropping the Hz. This screen has 240hz at native 7640 x 2160 so that shouldn't be a problem outside of 8bit vs 10bit on hdmi 2.1 possibly. (Idk if you get over 8bit on hdmi 2.1 at 240hz on this). The 1:1 scaling of lower resolutions historically helped vs bandwidth limittions like those.

Incidentally displayfusion also has tools (or scripted actions/hotkeys) that can remove the window frames and toggle them back, like via a streamdeck button tied to a hotkey.

Definitely curious how it pans out with this, thanks for the info.

https://www.displayfusion.com/ScriptedFunctions/

https://www.displayfusion.com/Features/Functions/

You can just add the scripts to displayfusion, you don't actually have to edit any so it's really not difficult to add them to the main list of functions. Then you just add a hotkey to the interface. I like to link the hotkeys to a streamdeck key though since that is a lot easier to work with visually than remembering hotkeys or using displayfusion dropdowns.

It's not hard to edit the scripts though either. They are very simple and you can just edit things like the screen coordinates or other easy to identify values.

You can even combine some scripts copying and pasting stuff if you want to get tricky. There are plenty to use as references and the displyfusion forum mods are extremely helpful if you ever get stuck (check the forums for keywords first though because someone probably tried to figure out what you are stuck on before). For example you could combine any of these scripts hotlinked below the screenshot with a simple named window move to specific coordinates.

8093302_1.png

Remove Borders and Caption From Window

Focus game and make it borderless windowed

Toggle Borders and Caption From Window

Ultra Wide Borderless Fullscreen

I'm a big fan of toggle or multi-press functions where you can hit the same button a bunch of times to change states of things (you can change the icon on the button to reflect what state it is in so easy to keep track). A few global saved window position profiles are also very handy to save and assign hotkeys to.

The streamdecks also have great plugins of their own to launch things, mutli-launch, move and size windows, install and/or move and size a bunch of app windows with one trigger, etc. You can also have it launch apps/games with arguments.

DisplayFusion: Working with Custom Functions

Stream Deck FAQ: how to use

Navigate to "More Actions…" and install the following plugins to your Stream Deck: Advanced Launcher & Windows Mover & Resizer. Advanced Launcher, will not only let you pick the application you want to run, but you can also choose to Run as Administrator, Limit the number of running instances, Kill the existing instances – as well as the best one of all – set your unique arguments on the launcher!
Windows Mover & Resizer on the other hand, takes productivity to a WHOLE new level! The macro will apply to either your currently selected window, or a specific application you define, and it will let you choose the exact monitor, position & size you want the window to take on the click of your button! ?? This. Is. Sick!
And what's the last piece of this glorious puzzle? Stream Deck Multi Actions! Simply combine Advanced Launcher & Windows Mover into a Multi Action, where you first launch the application with the exact settings you need, then it gets automatically positioned in the exact coordinates and size you need!
Bringing us to the last huge step! Creating a HUGE multi action that will instantly launch a "Workspace" for you! Launch your game, audio output & input settings, stream starting soon scene, face camera, lights and whatever else you can dream of, in the press of a button! Oh yes, Stream Deck can get THAT good! ??

*note by me: you can also set up different sets of those "Saved window position profiles" in that last step (or via displayfusion pro + the displayfusion hotkey mapped to a streamdeck button). In that way, you can hit different buttons or multi-press/toggle a single button to shuffle between different styles of window layouts of your apps.

https://www.displayfusion.com/ScriptedFunctions/

https://www.displayfusion.com/Features/Functions/

You can just add the scripts to displayfusion, you don't actually have to edit any so it's really not difficult to add them to the main list of functions. Then you just add a hotkey to the interface. I like to link the hotkeys to a streamdeck key though since that is a lot easier to work with visually than remembering hotkeys or using displayfusion dropdowns.

It's not hard to edit the scripts though either. They are very simple and you can just edit things like the screen coordinates or other easy to identify values.

You can even combine some scripts copying and pasting stuff if you want to get tricky. There are plenty to use as references and the displyfusion forum mods are extremely helpful if you ever get stuck (check the forums for keywords first though because someone probably tried to figure out what you are stuck on before). For example you could combine any of these scripts hotlinked below the screenshot with a simple named window move to specific coordinates.

View attachment 591745

Focus game and make it borderless windowed

Toggle Borders and Caption From Window

Ultra Wide Borderless Fullscreen

I'm a big fan of toggle or multi-press functions where you can hit the same button a bunch of times to change states of things (you can change the icon on the button to reflect what state it is in so easy to keep track). A few global saved window position profiles are also very handy to save and assign hotkeys to.

The streamdecks also have great plugins of their own to launch things, mutli-launch, move and size windows, install and/or move and size a bunch of app windows with one trigger, etc. You can also have it launch apps/games with arguments.

DisplayFusion: Working with Custom Functions

Stream Deck FAQ: how to use
I have to really dig into this stuff when I get the G95NC. I have a Stream Deck that doesn't get enough use atm. Doesn't help that it is a good bit less useful on MacOS, which I use for work, since many plugins are not available and you need to do things together with BetterTouchTool instead.

Slight correction, you can do blackbars on the QN900B but it would still upscale within that. So you could set resolution 3840x1080 but you would then actually get 7680x2160 as it is scaled up. So, based on my findings on the QN900B, always upscaling but not always full screen.

Also note that there were some dithering/VRR "challenges" as well, in part probably because of that being a TV rather than a monitor and also lacking DP.

Last edited:
Reactions: elvn
like this
I'm on the fence about ordering this at launch mainly because I know in 1-2 months it will be $400-500 less expensive.

Seems only Samsung monitors drop so fast or maybe the right way to look at it is MSRP is always inflated vs street price.

It's also critical to get 5120x2160 working because in some titles native res will be completely unusable even with a 4090.

I'm on the fence about ordering this at launch mainly because I know in 1-2 months it will be $400-500 less expensive.

Seems only Samsung monitors drop so fast or maybe the right way to look at it is MSRP is always inflated vs street price.

It's also critical to get 5120x2160 working because in some titles native res will be completely unusable even with a 4090.
Same here. On the other hand sometimes there's launch discounts too.

I will definitely wait for more initial reports.

Samsungs track record at launch for the Neo G9 line isn't exaxtly stellar either, I recall HDR being a horror story on the Neo G9 at release.

Samsungs track record at launch for the Neo G9 line isn't exaxtly stellar either, I recall HDR being a horror story on the Neo G9 at release.
I am hoping that this one is fairly solid because it seems like an evolution of the original Neo G9.

Well the Neo G8 still looks like trash on desktop and makes autoHDR unusable. I'm really hoping that the HDR1000 cert corrects a lot of these Samsung only HDR blunders.

I don't have high hopes considering that Samsung also omitted 21:9 on the original G9 at release.
I was talking about other things, like firmware bugs, HDR behavior etc. The Tizen-based OLED G8 and OLED G9 seem like a far bigger shitshow than these more regular displays.

5120x2160 is unlikely to be available on it as a standard resolution. Maybe if enough people complain on Samsung's own forums.
I hope a workaround is found because it's a pretty good performance boost over 8Kx2K, around 20-30 fps at minimum, plus tends to work better in most games than the full 32:9.

Yeah I ran into that problem with the 49" Samsung CRG9 already. I use the Genelec M040 which are about the same size as the 8040 series.

To me the only real solution is to put them on poles behind the desk, above the display and tilted downward towards the listener.
This is what I’ve done with my speakers (mount them on adjustable height speaker stands behind my desk, vertically above my monitor tilted slightly down). Not ideal but it’s better than the sides.

Preorders seem to be popping up for various European countries at least.

2599 euros in Finland. This is similar to the launch price of the original Neo G9.

Brits seem to have the best preorder deal from Samsung as they get a Jet Bot robot vacuum cleaner thrown in as an extra.

Wow American release is all the way in October.

new version of the 55" 16:9 ark with much better multi input etc too. Doesn't sound like they increased it's resolution though unfortunately. At 8k and if allowing 1:1 uw resolutions letterboxed at higher Hz that would be a beast.

new version of the 55" 16:9 ark with much better multi input etc too. Doesn't sound like they increased it's resolution though unfortunately. At 8k and if allowing 1:1 uw resolutions letterboxed at higher Hz that would be a beast.

Agreed. It really needs 8K.

Back