Samsung Laser Printer Smells

fn9

Weaksauce
I bought a small form factor samsung, which is toner-efficient and perfect for my uses, but this thing really smells when it works. I'm fairly sensitive to odors and this is a big problem for me. Is this pretty much going to be the case with any small laser printer? Does anyone have a good suggestion for a replacement? (I don't want to jerry-rig something to get more ventilation, etc)

Could you describe the smell? Is it a burning electronics smell, a burning paper smell, or an ink smell? As far as I know printers should not generate any noticeable odors while working, at most that "electronicy" smell, but you'd have to be within a few inches to smell that.

What you are smelling is the toner being fused to the paper. The smell is more apparent in the cheaper laser printers. Regardless of what you pay for a laser printer, it's something that you'll have to put up with. Try dealing with toner changes on a $10000 OKI LED printer - Those can get pretty messy.

Yeah new printers make an unusual smell when the fuser is actually doing something for the first time, that's normal and will eventually disappear after a dozen or so pages have gone through, toner normally has an ozone kind of smell to it, when it's being fused to the paper, unfortunately this is how laser printers work.

Back