Samsung Galaxy S6

Still have my edge, the regular s6 128GB are supposedly on back order for a few weeks. I've come to the conclusion that this phone is slower than it should be as far as the UI goes. I love that it has power to do everything smoothly once it's open; Video, Maps, Games, Multitabbed Browsing. But.. First time opening apps is slow as fuck for the benchmarks the UFS shows. Don't get me wrong, its not bad, but it should be closer to instant, instead it hangs for a second. Once things are loaded into RAM, they're instant, but right now it barely feels better than my M7 in that regard. Landscape really trips it up going from browser to home and back to browser. At least an entire second delay during transition.

I've read people had better luck doing a factory reset after that Tmobile update. I might try that If I'm not too lazy

I would think maybe the manual focus adjustment? Is that available on the iphone?

Am I the only one thinking of returning their s6?

I was expecting a hit on battery life coming from a note 2 but this thing just eats battery even after fixing the stand-by drain and using power-save mode. Also they took away the actually useful options (turning off the light for capacitive buttons is a big one, hate those at night) and kept a lot of the stupid look what I can do ones, and the notifications from lock screen is handled horribly. I don't think the lock-screen notifications will ever be something I can get used to and just use intuitively. CM12 on my tab pro is awesome so I was stoked to get a device that came with lollipop but samsung decided they need to make it their own and ruin it.

Camera seems good enough but haven't had too much opportunity to use it. I was excited for slo-mo but it is also useless due to the way it handles sound, not trying to listen to a bunch of shrieking white noise.

Perhaps.... I'm an S6 fan as much as the next guy but I'm not sure what the DSLR thing means in this post.

Probably the natural bokeh. Hasn't been a smartphone camera that can do bokeh as well as the S6. G4 should be able to compete though with their f1.8

I would think maybe the manual focus adjustment? Is that available on the iphone?

Am I the only one thinking of returning their s6?

I was expecting a hit on battery life coming from a note 2 but this thing just eats battery even after fixing the stand-by drain and using power-save mode. Also they took away the actually useful options (turning off the light for capacitive buttons is a big one, hate those at night) and kept a lot of the stupid look what I can do ones, and the notifications from lock screen is handled horribly. I don't think the lock-screen notifications will ever be something I can get used to and just use intuitively. CM12 on my tab pro is awesome so I was stoked to get a device that came with lollipop but samsung decided they need to make it their own and ruin it.

Camera seems good enough but haven't had too much opportunity to use it. I was excited for slo-mo but it is also useless due to the way it handles sound, not trying to listen to a bunch of shrieking white noise.

Battery life been great for me. Granted I'm on only LTE, no wifi, it's been awesome. I was worried the first day I had it, but after the T-Moible update and my first full battery charge I'm good to go. Lowest I've been was probably 40ish percent, and that was starting the day at 80-90% video, browsing, texting, and 30 min GPS navigation. Way better than my M7, which I had to worry about constantly.

Yeah the camera is amazing. It has DSLR-capabilities which you can't find on the iPhone 6.

Also, you can see the camera module moving when you look at the back of the phone where the camera is because of the OIS.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

What capabilities?

Most people are stupid and buy phones the way they buy designer jeans, based off looks and ads. Not that the S6 is bad, but there was noting wrong with the 4 or 5.

I wish Samsung had updated TW and not hidden a lot of stock Lollipop.

Most people are stupid and buy phones the way they buy designer jeans, based off looks and ads. Not that the S6 is bad, but there was noting wrong with the 4 or 5.

I wish Samsung had updated TW and not hidden a lot of stock Lollipop.

Yup... look at the UAE... they are saying they sold ALL the S6 Edge and standard S6 phones in the opening weekend. People there are going nuts over the things. Why? Status. Same reason 90% of people buy iPhones.

Yup... look at the UAE... they are saying they sold ALL the S6 Edge and standard S6 phones in the opening weekend. People there are going nuts over the things. Why? Status. Same reason 90% of people buy iPhones.

Becuase iPhones are good?

I just got back from seeing this phone. I gotta admit I'm a little disappointed with the edge screen. I thought the viewable area would curve over a bit more than it did. The viewable part barely curves over and then there is a black bar taking up the rest of the curve.

What capabilities?

Tracking autofocus is one of them.

I just got back from seeing this phone. I gotta admit I'm a little disappointed with the edge screen. I thought the viewable area would curve over a bit more than it did. The viewable part barely curves over and then there is a black bar taking up the rest of the curve.

Oh the edge display works. But not for regular content for obvious ergonomic reasons.

I think you need to consider that if the regular content extended all the way to the sides, it would mean that you need to look over to reach side to view the content on the left and right sides. That would be more of an inconvenience.

I think Samsung did it correctly by making the edges only functional for select features such as the swiping at the edge to bring up your favorite contacts.

Last edited:
Just saw my first S6 in real life at Best Buy this week. First impressions were twofold, underwhelmed and really cool.

- Really cool for the build quality, and beautiful screen.

- Underwhelmed with everything else. I turn it on, and it still screams Touchwiz, stuck in the Gingerbread theme days, it looks just like Touchwiz always has, I didn't see this new "Project Zero" OS ? Nasty ugly design of an OS, and it lagged still :rolleyes: And that wasn't one of the demo phones, an actual Samsung rep let me play with his phone, and it lagged.

- My buddy bought the S6 Edge this week from T-Mobile, he said worst battery life ever for a modern smartphone. Only lasts him from morning to afternoon, that's it. With just standard use, a few phone calls, dozen texts, little web viewing, nothing else.

- Now make a GPE version of this phone, and slap in a 3,100mAh battery, then we're talking best phone of the year.

Just saw my first S6 in real life at Best Buy this week. First impressions were twofold, underwhelmed and really cool.

- Really cool for the build quality, and beautiful screen.

- Underwhelmed with everything else. I turn it on, and it still screams Touchwiz, stuck in the Gingerbread theme days, it looks just like Touchwiz always has, I didn't see this new "Project Zero" OS ? Nasty ugly design of an OS, and it lagged still :rolleyes: And that wasn;t one of the dmeo phoens, am actula Samsung rep let me play with his phone, and it lagged.

- My buddy bought the S6 Edge this week from T-Mobile, he said worst battery life ever for a modern smartphone. Only lasts him from morning to afternoon, that's it. With just standard use, a few phone calls, dozen texts, little web viewing, nothing else.

Battery life tests contradict what your "buddy" said.

That must mean that the iPhone 6 has the "worst battery life ever for a modern smartphone" because all battery tests indicate that the Galaxy S6/S6 edge have superior battery life over the iPhone 6.

By the way, my iPhone 6 lags too.

And Gingerbread days? I think you played with the wrong phone buddy because this looks NOTHING like the Galaxy S2 UI.

Battery life tests contradict what your "buddy" said.

That must mean that the iPhone 6 has the "worst battery life ever for a modern smartphone" because all battery tests indicate that the Galaxy S6/S6 edge have superior battery life over the iPhone 6.

I was with him at BestBuy the other night, he was complaining about the battery life. We went in around 6:30pm, he was at 15% battery left, we were there an hour, or more and when he left he showed me his phone, down the 5%.

I was with him at BestBuy the other night, he was complaining about the battery life. We went in around 6:30pm, he was at 15% battery left, we were there an hour, or more and when he left he showed me his phone, down the 5%.

There are a few culprits of the bad/mediocre battery life. The Amazon App Suite destroys the battery. Disable that and then download the official Amazon App Store app from their website, and that'll fix that issue. Also an issue with having Voice/Videoo Chat over LTE.

Once you take care of those, the batter life is exceptional. I am averaging about 5-5.5 hours of SOT taking the phone off the charger at 8am and putting it back on at midnight (usually having 20% battery left; never really tried a full drain yet). This is with emails being pushed from 6am to 6pm, a few phone calls throughout the day, a hundred or so text messages, some youtube, and probably 2 hours of Chrome browsing.

There are a few culprits of the bad/mediocre battery life. The Amazon App Suite destroys the battery. Disable that and then download the official Amazon App Store app from their website, and that'll fix that issue. Also an issue with having Voice/Videoo Chat over LTE.

Once you take care of those, the batter life is exceptional. I am averaging about 5-5.5 hours of SOT taking the phone off the charger at 8am and putting it back on at midnight (usually having 20% battery left; never really tried a full drain yet). This is with emails being pushed from 6am to 6pm, a few phone calls throughout the day, a hundred or so text messages, some youtube, and probably 2 hours of Chrome browsing.

5+h Screen On time is very impressive. That's like Nexus 6 battery life, maybe better.

Will AOSP ROM's or CM12.1 hit the Galaxy S6 anytime soon ?

5+h Screen On time is very impressive. That's like Nexus 6 battery life, maybe better.

Will AOSP ROM's or CM12.1 hit the Galaxy S6 anytime soon ?

Being Samsung, when they do... They'll be buggy. As always. Because Samsung.

I get about 5.5 hours of on-screen time too. Haven't had to disable anything yet but I might take your advice and disable some unnecessary apps since they won't hurt.

10% in 1 hour is definitely not impossible if mobile data and a few other features/apps are turned on. I get about the same with the iPhone 6 sometimes.

Again these are all contextual and vary according to the situation. 99% of the reviews have reached the consensus that the Galaxy S6's battery life is the best in the industry right now (when excluding phablets like the Galaxy Note 4).

And trust me, there is virtually no lag on the Galaxy S6. I think what your may have experienced was the shitty Flipboard notification widget (not Flipboard but it's a notification thing) on one of the home screens. You need to disable that because that thing is not integrated with the UI causing a split second delay, and plus it's useless.

Last edited:
All these phones are too expensive. I'd rather get a Chinese phone with same specs and better software for1/3rd cost.

All these phones are too expensive. I'd rather get a Chinese phone with same specs and better software for1/3rd cost.

And a 1/3 of the support in software, hardware, and band support in the US. :p

But I doubt any hardware in those cheap phones is nearly the same specs as the GS6, esp if it has a Mediatek SoC and significantly slower internal NAND storage and RAM.

You aren't getting better software, not by a long shot. You are also going to never get an update on that phone and you are going to roll the dice on the supported bands.

Huwei sold a phone not too long ago claiming to support full ATT HSPA+ and it didn't resulting in loss of phone connection if you attempted to surf the net while on a phone call.

Uh....

Tracking Auto Focus isn't really a DSLR features. It's really just software features.

If this is somehow a DSLR feature, then I guess iPhone 6's Focus Pixel is also one of them then? :p

If you really consider that to be a feature of DSLR, what other features does it have?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

US LTE band support is a valid concern. But e.g. MIUI is 10x better than TW/Sense, is updated weekly.

The HW design is just as good. Phones like OnePlus show it's quite possible to make these phones for much cheaper.

They aren't built as well, they have nice finishes but they use low quality components so they can justify the undercutting. Big example is the camera sensor, next would be the terrible internal memory/flash. Don't get me wrong some of them look really nice but they aren't on the same level as say Sony or HTC.

I've tried Miui and I'm not entirely impressed, now if there's a large underground group of people who enjoy that's cool but I have yet to run into it. Also this 18 month old TW device has 5.0 on it, good luck getting that kind of range on something like the new P8.

US LTE band support is a valid concern. But e.g. MIUI is 10x better than TW/Sense, is updated weekly.

The HW design is just as good. Phones like OnePlus show it's quite possible to make these phones for much cheaper.

1+1 phone is being sold at cost to get their names out

and http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_2-6884.php totally same spec for 1/3 of cost

p.s hmm this one actually have good spec on paper http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_note_pro-6952.php but what kind of LCD panel/ ram / storage / camera sensor are they using?

Last edited:
My point is there are a lot of alternatives besides buying expensive premium phones. We are used to getting ripped off by big carriers here. For 99% of people a cheap no contract Chinese phone with great specs makes better sense than paying 3x for a premium phone. Same goes for contracts vs unlocked.

My point is there are a lot of alternatives besides buying expensive premium phones. We are used to getting ripped off by big carriers here. For 99% of people a cheap no contract Chinese phone with great specs makes better sense than paying 3x for a premium phone. Same goes for contracts vs unlocked.

I agree with this.

These are options, but nobody wants a cheap Chinese phone. I have a friend using a relatively new Huawei phone and he says he will NEVER buy a Huawei phone again for a number of reasons.

Oh the edge display works. But not for regular content for obvious ergonomic reasons.

I think you need to consider that if the regular content extended all the way to the sides, it would mean that you need to look over to reach side to view the content on the left and right sides. That would be more of an inconvenience.

I think Samsung did it correctly by making the edges only functional for select features such as the swiping at the edge to bring up your favorite contacts.

I agree I wouldn't want to have to look over the edge to read the content, but I don't even see how a clock would work on the edge it is so small. The Note Edge looked to me like it had more of the screen on the edge. To me that's how the S6 Edge should be.

Uh....

Tracking Auto Focus isn't really a DSLR features. It's really just software features.

If this is somehow a DSLR feature, then I guess iPhone 6's Focus Pixel is also one of them then? :p

If you really consider that to be a feature of DSLR, what other features does it have?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

LOL, I was going to post the same thing. My friend has had every single Canon "D" series camera. 10,20, now up to the 70.... and NONE have this feature. Matter of fact... he couldn't even record video until maybe the last 3 of them??

It's more like just further confirmation of what we already know.

• No special features worth using.
  • Bad ergonomics.
  • Costs more.
  • etc

i agree with you there, bad ergonomics is huge minus even though extra 100 buck isn't problem for me
but what are you expecting from LG G4 or Iphone 6S?

Back