Samsung Galaxy S6

So if/when Samsung ships more S6 and S6 Edges than all previous S-series phones(not COMBINED), shall we revisit this thread? :)

Do what you will, i dont think it will be as big of a hit as everyone thinks especially with the higher price tag

The company currently has its back to the wall with Apple trouncing it at the high end, and Chinese OEMs eating its lunch at the low end.

iPhone 6 series isn't high end. The engineering, design, components and materials are closer to low end relative to the competition. Just like you can claim a fixed 1GB laptop is an ultrabook all you want but reality is it's a low end netbook. The one smart thing Apple did is monopolize the hardware that runs iOS, otherwise, if it was open like Android, Apple would be eaten up by the likes of Xiaomi.

iPhone 6 series isn't high end. The engineering, design, components and materials are closer to low end relative to the competition. Just like you can claim a fixed 1GB laptop is an ultrabook all you want but reality is it's a low end netbook. The one smart thing Apple did is monopolize the hardware that runs iOS, otherwise, if it was open like Android, Apple would be eaten up by the likes of Xiaomi.

Can't say I agree there... it's a fairly well built phone.

Can't say I agree there... it's a fairly well built phone.

The build quality might be decent...but it is using 1 and 2 generation old components and a paltry amount of RAM. Apple is able to get away with that by having a highly-optimized OS only designed to run well on a handful of configurations they determine, however.

Apple is able to get away with that by having a highly-optimized OS only designed to run well on a handful of configurations they determine, however.

Not optimized but it does less. I can run Windows for Worksgroup 3.1 on the same hardware and it'll seem more optimized but reality is because the OS does less than say Windows 8.1.

The build quality might be decent...but it is using 1 and 2 generation old components and a paltry amount of RAM. Apple is able to get away with that by having a highly-optimized OS only designed to run well on a handful of configurations they determine, however.

That I agree with... however the average user is WAY more concerned with "appearance" then with running benchmarks. So they buy the one that makes them feel "cool" when people see them with it.

I'd say the metal of the iPhone 6 is flimsy but the glass is the worst part of the iPhone 6.

It uses China-made ion strengthered glass... simply low-end material.

Gorilla Glass 4 (from Corning, a US company) is vastly superior over standard China-made ion strengthered glass.

Thank goodness the Galaxy S6 is using Corning Gorllia Glass 4.

I'd say the metal of the iPhone 6 is flimsy but the glass is the worst part of the iPhone 6.

Gorilla Glass 4 (from Corning, a US company) is vastly superior over standard China-made ion strengthered glass.

Can't tell if serious..... :confused:

iPhone 6 glass is terribly made. I am not sure what is wrong with Apple deciding to switch from Gorilla Glass to shitty ion glass. It's harder to get shattered than Gorilla glass, but so much easier to get it scratch. It's stupid.

iPhone 6 glass is terribly made. I am not sure what is wrong with Apple deciding to switch from Gorilla Glass to shitty ion glass. It's harder to get shattered than Gorilla glass, but so much easier to get it scratch. It's stupid.

Source?

I'm not 100% sure if he was being sarcastic or not, but I already have a pretty big scratch on mine and I never put anything except for my phone in my pocket. I honestly have no idea how it scratched, and the scratch is deep too.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...-owners-complain-of-easily-scratched-screens-

There are plenty of it.

I first notice it when I received my iPhone 6, I can already see tons of pin holes all over the glass. I have got 6 of iPhone 6 in total (Yes, 5 of them are defected... surprisingly..) All of them has pin holes. I never put my phone anywhere except my pocket with absolutely nothing, it's already some hairline scratch all over the place (Not noticeable unless you really looking into it). I been doing the same for all previous iPhone and other Android phones. This is quite unacceptable.

I noticed a few such hairline scratches on my 6+ screen before I got a glass screen shield for it. I can't see them, now, and the shield will prevent any additional scratches. I'm not overly thrilled by the scratches, but am not going to invest any time or heartache in the issue, now that the screen is covered. I hope the problem is fixed by the time the S versions are released, later this year. I'll definitely get a shield before buying my next iPhone, to be sure.

Last edited:
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_reportedly_increases_galaxy_s6_manufacturing_capacity-news-11487.php
Samsung reportedly increases Galaxy S6 manufacturing capacity

10 March, 2015 | Comments (8) | Post your comment
Tags: Xiaomi, Android
Samsung reportedly received orders totaling 15 million Galaxy S6 and 5 million Galaxy S6 edge units from carriers. This demand seems to have surprised even the company, which is now scrambling to manufacture enough units.

Korean publication Etnews reports that the initial plans were for 12 million units total – 8 million of the Galaxy S6 and 4 million of the S6 edge. The total number has been revised to 13 million.

Of those, 4 million Galaxy S6 units will roll off the assembly lines this month along with 1 million Galaxy S6. Those will be followed by the April production run, which will bring the total to 13 million.

This means some carriers may need to delay the launch of the S6 flagship duo and even if they don't the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge will be in limited supply at launch time.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s6_and_edge_preorder_available_on_ebay_uk-news-11488.php

Samsung Galaxy S6 and edge preorder available on ebay UK

10 March, 2015 | Post your comment
Tags: Samsung, Android
Since its announcement a few days ago at MWC, the Galaxy S6 has rapidly gained popularity, like nothing we have ever seen. Preorders are flooding in and the interest for the device is almost ridiculous. But the Galaxy S6 edge is the device that is truly turning heads.
The double-edged flagship is enjoying an amazing amount of attention both from the press and Samsung fans. If you have you heart set on the curvy device, now it is available for preorder in the UK on ebay. The official release date for the handset is April 10, so naturally, that is when the unit will ship.

The ebay vendor actually has four device listings, including the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge in black or white. All of the devices are unlocked for any network and are priced as follows - £549.99 for a 32GB Galaxy S6 and £649 for the 64GB S6 edge, regardless of color.

This is not the only UK vendor that currently accepts preorders, for the device, but definitely seems to one of the best deals around. MobileFun.co.uk has the 64GB S6 edge for £700, but also offers a 32GB version for £649. The 32GB S6 goes for £579 at this vendor. This is a little pricier, but all three variants can also be pre-ordered in Gold color. Both phones are also listed on unclockemobiles.com - £649.98 for the Galaxy S6 edge and £549.89 for the regular model, but the site does not mention anything about storage or color options.

Of course the phones will soon be available on contract in the UK, as well. EE, O2, Three, Vodafone and Virgin mobile have all hinted that the devices are coming, but this will probably happened after the April 10 release date. So if you are really eager to get your hands on one, the aforementioned retailers might be your best bet for now.

BTW, I'm not sure if I should pre-order the Galaxy S6 on Ebay so that I could sell it for more when it comes out.

Sound like a good idea?

BTW, I'm not sure if I should pre-order the Galaxy S6 on Ebay so that I could sell it for more when it comes out.
The rationale behind it is that I will buy it for $999 and then sell it for $1300 or possibly more. $300 easy profit.

Sound like a good idea?

EDIT: 5 of my friends have already done it. So I pre-ordered one on Ebay already (32GB). Will probably sell for $1300 once I get it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gal...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item339ea07180

Also bid on a Galaxy S6 Edge 32GB off Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-gal...454?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2a4d36dc7e

These are legit new ones that Samsung is manufacturing right now :)

I will pre-order my own Galaxy S6 (most likely Galaxy S6 Edge 64GB or 128GB) from my telecom carrier once pre-orders start in early April.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Why, why, why on the protruding camera? I hate how it looks, and it's not as functional when you lay it on a surface.

This is probably a better question for the LastPass folks instead of Samsung. So I doubt you'd get an answer from mi7chy or WarpDrive.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S6_ShootOut_1.htm

Displaymate just posted their review of the S6 and S6 edge screen. Cut to the chase....it's easily the best mobile screen ever produced. The screen improves on the Note 4 which was already the best mobile screen out there.

Some highlights:

Capable of 784 nits of brightness outdoors???? That's insane. Galaxy S3 capped out at 300 nits. Oh and it has super dimming capabilties down to 2 nits. I actually really like that. Nothing worse than trying to read late at night and being blinded by your phone.

"With each successive generation Samsung has been systematically improving the power efficiency of their OLED displays. We measured a 20 percent improvement in display power efficiency between the Galaxy S5 and the Galaxy S6, which is especially impressive given that the Galaxy S6 has almost double the number of pixels and therefore much higher processing overhead"

20% more efficient screen over the S5 even though it has many more pixels? Very impressive indeed. Should shut up all those people who keep bitching about "oh but the 2K display, blah, blah, blah." If the processor is anywhere close to 35% more efficient than the prior model, then I'm now hopeful that battery life overall will be at least as good as the S5.

"We recently evaluated and rated the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus as the current Best Mobile LCD Displays, while the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy Note 4 are the current Best Mobile OLED Displays. All are impressive and excellent displays with great state-of-the-art display technology. However, OLED displays have been advancing at a relentless and fast pace with a constant series of systematic and strategic improvements, while LCDs have been coasting on their laurels for years. So although OLEDs started from behind in 2010 they have now pulled ahead on performance and innovation based on the Lab test and measurement results reported here. To get back in the game and become more competitive, LCDs will need to adopt Quantum Dots and Dynamic Color Management.
The Galaxy S6 has more than double the resolution and more than 4 times the number of pixels as the iPhone 6. It also has significantly higher peak Brightness, significantly higher Contrast Ratio in both low and high Ambient Light, significantly higher Absolute Color Accuracy, significantly better Viewing Angel performance, and has 4 selectable screen modes instead of a single fixed one on the iPhones."

Samsung obviously does not make perfect phones but the one thing they do really well right now, far ahead anyone else really, is screens. If I get a S6, this will probably be one of the main reasons why.

Lets hope one of two things happen. Fingerprint gets added as an extension to SSO in a standard API so it'll work in apps like Chrome across different platforms. Or, Samsung license LastPass and pass the savings on to the customer (wouldn't be the first time since their pen-to-text transcription looks a lot like Japanese Mazec3 software).

This is probably a better question for the LastPass folks instead of Samsung. So I doubt you'd get an answer from mi7chy or WarpDrive.

I am referring to Samsung's own password saving feature... nothing to do with LastPass. If Samsung doesn't have their OWN password vault that will work on Windows/OSX AND their phones it's useless. (IMO that is).

Lets hope one of two things happen. Fingerprint gets added as an extension to SSO in a standard API so it'll work in apps like Chrome across different platforms. Or, Samsung license LastPass and pass the savings on to the customer (wouldn't be the first time since their pen-to-text transcription looks a lot like Japanese Mazec3 software).

Hey... if it integrated into Chrome so it would work across ALL devices, I'd be a happy boy. I don't personally use Chrome for my password management BUT I would switch over for something like this.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S6_ShootOut_1.htm

Samsung obviously does not make perfect phones but the one thing they do really well right now, far ahead anyone else really, is screens. If I get a S6, this will probably be one of the main reasons why.

Shhh gonna get CHANG3D's jimmies rustled, he's gonna come in here and counter the best display ever by talking about how all that matters in a phone is BoomSound.

Shhh gonna get CHANG3D's jimmies rustled, he's gonna come in here and counter the best display ever by talking about how all that matters in a phone is BoomSound.

Meh, "best display ever" is entirely subjective. I prefer a color accurate IPS panel instead of a heavily color modified AMOLED. I understand the draw to amoled and I love the contrast ratio, but there are times where I wince at colors that are just aweful. Like watching a movie and seeing people whos skin tones look like the inside of a peach.

Meh, "best display ever" is entirely subjective. I prefer a color accurate IPS panel instead of a heavily color modified AMOLED. I understand the draw to amoled and I love the contrast ratio, but there are times where I wince at colors that are just aweful. Like watching a movie and seeing people whos skin tones look like the inside of a peach.

Then I am sure you actually bothered to look at the link and saw that the S6 provides user selectable color profiles, including one that was pretty much bang on to the sRGB / Rec. 709 standard right? :rolleyes:

Color accuracy is not something that AMOLED can't do, just because you have seen bad color profiles in the past that were over saturated doesn't mean all AMOLED have to be over saturated.

I am sure you read this part right?
"the Basic screen mode is an impressive 1.6 JNCD, tied with the Galaxy Note 4 for the most color accurate display that we have ever measured for a Smartphone or Tablet. It is visually indistinguishable from perfect, and very likely considerably better than your living room TV or any display that you own."

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back