Samsung Galaxy S3 - Need a different sort of case

Nazo

2[H]4U
Ok, so I'm a bit paranoid. Working in retail, I've seen multiple phones with cracked screens literally in a day. What's more, I used to have an iPaq h1945, which is as close as a PDA of that time came to this sort of profile (eg thin and all) and I always kept it in a thin case in my pocket that used cardboard on the insides and even though I took good care of it, I got on my break on a day when I hadn't been lifting anything or working on anything tough and when I took it out of my pocket and the case, the screen was thoroughly busted (as in the liquid in the screen had leaked around a bit even.) Up until now I've been using an Otterbox complete with belt clip. I removed the actual clip part (but glued the other piece in so it wouldn't come loose) thus giving me a hard surface on one side. This works really well in my pocket, but when I actually USE the phone, I have something that's about four times as thick as my phone (which is, after all, one of the thinner phones on the market, but with the Otterbox it's at least as thick as my old LG Chocolate 3 clamshell phone was when closed...)

This is very unwieldy and uncomfortable to say the very least... So, I'm ditching the Otterbox. I've just had it. I can't play games as it is (it's not just the controls, it has THREE layers of insulation on the back, so all of the heat generated by the device must escape through the glass in the front, and glass is a pretty serious thermal insulator, so this tells you just how bad it is... I'm really worried of my phone overheating just running even simple games.) I have a really nice flip lid (instead of a thick back part it replaces the back cover, so the only extra thickness added is the front cover which is probably about 1.5 millimeters from what I could tell -- two at the most) coming in to protect the front of the screen from scratches (as well as screen protectors to do both that and, more importantly, to deal with fingerprints better) and in the meantime I'm going to try to not keep it in my pocket as much at least, but from time to time it will be necessary.

What I'd like to find is some sort of hard plastic case I could put the phone into when I keep it in my pocket. Well, I don't care if it's as thick as an Otterbox, but much beyond that might be a problem (it has to stay in my pocket for long periods of time when I do use it like that after all and I need to carry other small things in there with it.) If it's too thick I'll just throw in a microfiber towel cut to fit or something to make up the thickness and keep it from bouncing around (it doesn't get hot just idling in my pocket really.) Unfortunately, I'm not having a lot of luck finding something that's actually hard. The problem is, because most of these cases (even some of those with plastic) are kind of flexible under the right circumstances it allows strain on the device. By comparison, what I really liked about the belt clip part of the Otterbox was that it was a very solid and unyielding plastic. So what I'd like to find is something that uses a hard plastic that isn't flexible that I could slide my phone into or, at the worst, some kind of case I could close up on it. Preferably something easy enough to get the phone into and out of quickly enough if I have a call, but even if I have to call them back it would be better than not being able to call them back because my very expensive phone is broken... I thought about maybe a portable harddrive case as those seem to be fairly tough, but all I tried were too short and a bit excessively thick anyway.

Anyone have any thoughts on some sort of case that might not be too thick or too tall/wide at least? A little leeway is fine (after all I had that super-thick Otterbox + cover in my pocket which was actually about 3/4 of an inch) but it has to be reasonable which still eliminates a lot of the things I could come up with. It's ok if I have to do a little modification by cutting something or adding velcro to hold it though (for example, I kind of thought of modifying one of those harddrive cases to use velcro to hold together instead of a zipper before I found out that the phone definitely wouldn't fit) and I have no problem breaking out the rotary tool on a whim even (the only dust on it is metal, glass, and wood dust from use!) but ideally I'd like to keep it pretty simple.

Have you considered a TPU case? I've had a TPU case on my iphone 3G, 4, and 5 and have dropped them loads of times in the parking lot and have never had any damage to the screen or otherwise, since the TPU is quite good at absorbing shock from most typical drops. I imagine that the SGS3 would fare similarly in a TPU case, and they can be gotten dirt cheap from places like monoprice or amazon.

I have a question; how do you place your phone in your pocket?

I've always placed mine with the screen to my leg and haven't had any problems with screen damage, I'm not the most careful about smashing things into my legs (and phone) when carrying/lifting things or leaning over stuff either. Though, if I know I'm going to be doing such activities a lot, I do swap pockets or put it into my jacket (if I can remember).

2nd the UAG case. LOVED mine!!!!! Just traded my GS3 for a lumia 920 and wish UAG made a case for it as well. I'll have to go with Speck instead.

Have you considered a TPU case? I've had a TPU case on my iphone 3G, 4, and 5 and have dropped them loads of times in the parking lot and have never had any damage to the screen or otherwise, since the TPU is quite good at absorbing shock from most typical drops. I imagine that the SGS3 would fare similarly in a TPU case, and they can be gotten dirt cheap from places like monoprice or amazon.

You realize that the Otterbox I'm sick to death of basically was a TPU case? The point is to move AWAY from that, not to change to a different brand. That's what this whole thread is about...

I have a question; how do you place your phone in your pocket?

I've always placed mine with the screen to my leg and haven't had any problems with screen damage, I'm not the most careful about smashing things into my legs (and phone) when carrying/lifting things or leaning over stuff either. Though, if I know I'm going to be doing such activities a lot, I do swap pockets or put it into my jacket (if I can remember).
Partially I'm just being paranoid after the broken PDA that should not have been broken. I don't know if I had a particular way of keeping it in my pocket. The phone I've been keeping in the Otterbox, so the direction doesn't matter a lot, but I felt safer with the hard plastic part towards my leg as it was probably my leg that bent the PDA enough to bust the screen as far as I can guess.

the one thing I didn't see is what you do for a living... What is the reason your surroundings are so harsh?
I didn't say it because I choose not to for privacy reasons. My surroundings aren't really that harsh though. I do occasionally lift heavy things or push heavy things around, but I'm not doing so on a regular basis and it's pretty amazingly rare that any such things actually would bump anything in my pocket. In truth, as I said, I never figured out entirely how that PDA got busted. Like I said, partially I'm just paranoid about it because it was in a simple leather case (the kind with cardboard inside to make it relatively solid) and because I see people using so many busted phones all the time. Combined with the fact that nothing should have caused it to get broken on that particular day, it makes me uncertain of what I can really trust...

Anyway, I'm going to compromise a little and take a bit of a chance on it. I've gotten one of those flip lid cases that replace the battery cover for a partial protection and then I'm going to drop it into a soft sleeve that has foam inside it originally meant to protect a PSP. The foam is relatively thick but doesn't compress much (eg not like memory foam for instance where it can compress down to almost nothing which obviously wouldn't protect well) so I'm thinking that between the two it should be fairly well protected.

Last edited:

You realize that the Otterbox I'm sick to death of basically was a TPU case? The point is to move AWAY from that, not to change to a different brand. That's what this whole thread is about...

Partially I'm just being paranoid after the broken PDA that should not have been broken. I don't know if I had a particular way of keeping it in my pocket. The phone I've been keeping in the Otterbox, so the direction doesn't matter a lot, but I felt safer with the hard plastic part towards my leg as it was probably my leg that bent the PDA enough to bust the screen as far as I can guess.

No, the Otterbox case is Silicone with an additional plastic snap-on shield, and yes, they do make your phone really bulky. I'm speaking of a case like this:

http://www.amazon.com/igadgitz-Smar...402664&sr=8-16&keywords=samsung+galaxy+S3+TPU

Unlike silicone, the material doesn't pick up dirt/lint from your pocket and adds -very- minimal bulk to the phone. Hard plastic cases will transfer all of the shock straight to your phone chassis and don't really protect from anything but scratches you may get from leaving it on a table and sliding it around. It maybe adds ~2-3 mm of bulk? Sounds like you already got a replacement case, so I'm just setting the record straight.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Bent leg + jeans (or worse, hipster skinny jeans) != a happy phone.

Why u no keep in shirt pocket

My point wasn't to say that the Otterbox is the same exact thing as a TPU case so much as to say that it's not really the sort of direction I wanted to go. Also, no damage has occurred from drops. Actually, when many get an Otterbox (or Urban Armor or etc) people tend to drop it and think "oh wow, that just paid for itself" but, what I think a lot of people don't realize is the extra bulk, weight, and all around awkwardness in actually fitting in he hand that these things add to the phone, you're actually far more likely to actually drop it. I never dropped my iPaq H1945 PDA or the heavy Toshiba one I had before it (I forget the exact model number, but it had a metal casing and was very heavy) nor my Archos 43 "Internet Tablet" PDA before this phone and I'm definitely not about to drop this phone (though I may -- for reason of paranoia rather than actual necessity -- put a lanyard on this case anyway) so my fears are not really for the sake of absorption of kinetic energy from drops. A hard case with no flexibility would protect better against something pressing against it in a bad way precisely because of that lack of flexibility (namely it would not bend along with said object and thus would not press against the screen or other components with any pressure.)

I've also had an interesting idea to sort of rig up a "sling" of sorts in the hard casing of the Otterbox. Some cutting with a rotary tool or similar would probably be necessary (you can't just slide the phone through the top -- it's made to slide in from one side) but I think I could take that foam material I mentioned and glue it to the inner part of the belt clip portion of the Otterbox. I could then just slide the phone in and out of that. It wouldn't be beautiful by any means, but it would protect against some pretty rough bumps I believe. I haven't decided if I'll go to such extreme measures yet or not though. My flip lid arrived today and it, combined with the foam sleeve, feels like it may be sufficient enough for realistic conditions. As I said, I'm more paranoid about the PDA because I can't figure out how it broke than anything else, but then in retrospect it didn't have the benefits of a foam sleeve or anything, just that faux leather casing and some very worn out cardboard (and of course, cardboard compresses and flexes over time such that eventually it's no longer hard enough to really protect against anything.) Well, realistically speaking, the grand majority of the busted phones I see are due to careless people dropping them and I am not careless with my electronics.

Why u no keep in shirt pocket
Ug. Me say because me no have shirt pocket. Me no like shirt pocket. Me no like keeping things in shirt pockets. Things drop out of shirt pocket when me bend over anyway. Me also know that things can get bent while in shirt pocket especially when doing things such as lifting. Me think shirt pocket not magical thing sent from heavens to solve all problems.

Please please tell me you're kidding me? No, I'm not going to wear a "fanny pack" at work...

And if I were, it certainly wouldn't be a camouflage style one.

Well, I thought it was pretty funny - yet functional... Gets it out of your pocket too. :rolleyes:

Back