Samsung Galaxy S24 / S24+ / S24 Ultra

Theming the S24U, is it possible to theme the Phone app? It's a bit too drab and colorless, I want OLED black backgrounds, but would like the names and stuff have vibrant punchy colors, not just the muted blues it has stock.

How do I go about theming the Phone app?

Going with this setup;

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240223_220213_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240223_220213_One UI Home.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240223_220150_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240223_220150_One UI Home.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 1
One month update: Knock on wood, phone's still working great with zero issues. Still love the screen and the battery life. Have taken it on some hikes up into the mountains in single-digit temperatures and it performed perfectly on those.

1000002692.jpg

1000002975.jpg

So I put my SIM card back in my Pixel 8 Pro last night.

Just to really see the difference after having the S24 Ultra for a couple weeks now wanted to see how much I missed the Pixel.

I immediately set up the screens the same way and it was cool to be back on the pixel UI again but after about 5 minutes I just started to think about the big flat screen and just better quality phone in the S24U.

I made some phone calls did some texts serve the internet on the Pixel it was nice and pleasant but after a couple hours I put the SIM card back in the S24 Ultra and it's just a better phone. Period. The screen is just more vibrant more detailed nicer to look at.

The feel of the phone and hand the rectangular shape I thought I would hate cuz I do like the rounded corners on the pixel but I've gotten used to this size and shape The rectangular view looks like a home theater OLED TV in your hands.

The only drawback is still the camera the pixel camera isn't a little better it's significantly better.

Literally that's the only drawback the camera. Other than that the S24 Ultra is just an overall better built better designed better hardware better display better network better modem better Wi-Fi than the Pixel.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240227_081722_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240227_081722_One UI Home.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240227_081703_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240227_081703_One UI Home.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240227-081850.png
    Screenshot_20240227-081850.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
So to me the S24U is the best, #1 top dog Android phone available today. The only negative would be the camera, it's just nowhere as good as the Pixel 8 Pro's. Fact.

So if your a bigtime photographer and take pics all the time, especially still shots, the Pixel 8 Pro is still king, it's still the top camera in a smartphone.

But minus the camera, the S24 Ultra is the best Android smartphone in the market.

My only beef with the new OneUI is that I can't have a vertical app drawer, which I used to have on OneUI 5.1. Other than that, almost everything on OneUI is customizable once you dive into the Good Lock features. But the S24 (the small one) is a fantastic phone. I have the battery protect mode on to only charge to 80% and I normally have 30+% left at the end of the day. That would NEVER have worked with my P7, and probably the biggest reason why I haven't tried out the P8 yet.

.The only drawback is still the camera the pixel camera isn't a little better it's significantly better.

Literally that's the only drawback the camera. Other than that the S24 Ultra is just an overall better built better designed better hardware better display better network better modem better Wi-Fi than the Pixel.
I've had this thought about the s23 which shares the same camera system for the most part.
Five cameras and it's not able to produce a good shot between them.

I never got the S24 from Google. It was declared lost and I declined on ordering another.

I contacted Google about the poor battery life in my P8P. The rep offered to replace it and I accepted. This one is remarkably better in the battery department. I let the adaptive battery routine run for a few days. Don't know if that made a difference but I'm digging my Pixel again.

I never got the S24 from Google. It was declared lost and I declined on ordering another.

I contacted Google about the poor battery life in my P8P. The rep offered to replace it and I accepted. This one is remarkably better in the battery department. I let the adaptive battery routine run for a few days. Don't know if that made a difference but I'm digging my Pixel again.

The battery life in my Pixel 8 Pro was pretty darn good, I really had no complaints and it was noticeably better battery than my Pixel 7 Pro, like a huge upgrade in battery life. The S24 Ultra is even better by a pretty good margin for battery life

The screen / display is amazing on this S24 Ultra, especially the non glossy, non-mirrored, matte finish, this needs to become the new thing on every new smartphone moving forward, it's a game changer.

Overall just comparing the Pixel 8 Pro to the S24 Ultra, The Galaxy is just a better quality, better built phone no question. Except the camera, that's where the Pixel excels.

Last edited:
The thing is, it's not like Samsung has any special insight or anything about making phones other than a top notch screen. A pixel phone using the Snapdragon 8 Gen2 or Gen3 would be an instant buy for me. It's just that Google is throwing out a half baked SoC and modem which kills their battery life and connectivity in certain situations.

The thing is, it's not like Samsung has any special insight or anything about making phones other than a top notch screen. A pixel phone using the Snapdragon 8 Gen2 or Gen3 would be an instant buy for me. It's just that Google is throwing out a half baked SoC and modem which kills their battery life and connectivity in certain situations.
BOOM! 👍

Been asking for that for years, and that's where OnePlus excelled for a while there, they were almsot flagship spec'd, and ran a custom vanilla Android UI, with more customization than a Pixel, and had better [H]ardware for longer battery life, and nicer display, etc... The heyday of OnePlus phones, back when they had Lineage OS or Oxygen OS and no OPPO stuff yet, were the best.

A Pixel phone running the latest SD8 Gen 3, and having the non glossy matte finish display, with great vibrant colors and high nits brightness, along with UFS 4.0 storage, and better modem / network hardware, would be the best smartphone on the planet. But year after year Google always seems to gimp their phones with lesser hardware and it's frustrating, we get poor to bad battery life, crap network connections with loss of signal, weak displays, and shockingly some micro stutters or very minor lag, which should not be happening on vanilla Android phones.

So that's when I thought to myself, I keep reading great things on the Samsung Galaxy Ultra phones, let me try one out and see if it's all that. And wow holy cow it is all that and more, and makes the Pixel seem like a budget phone. Almost as if Google should only be making the affordable Pixel 7a type models, and don't even bother with the higher-end "Pro" versions, because they are still not spec'd as a true flagship.

Anyways, that's my opinion.

Last edited:
Hi just want to double check but if I buy a Samsung smartphone unlocked from Best Buy can I return it without a restocking fee if I try it?

I try to keep myself centered within that 20%. No posts about screen grain from me! And no need to crow about receiving a security update before others.

I haven't noticed a difference in fluidity, scroll lag, or animations with the March update. But I also didn't have any concerns with those things prior to the update. And I usually keep animations disabled - I feel the need for speed!

So I've had my SIN back in the Pixel 8 Pro all weekend, and did that very minimal looking homescreen, and it felt so good, the device itself with the rounded corners, and more narrow candybar shape is very comfortable to hold, and UI just moves so fluid and all the little bounces and sweet little animations is pleasant.

This afternoon I put my SIM back in the S24U, and what a beast of a device, it really does feels like a pocket Desktop PC shrunk down to a smartphone size, if that makes sense.

Have to say between the two phones, I'm torn, I like them equally for different reasons, both I think are the top dog Android phones this year. The display with the vibrant colors and deep blacks and non glossy matte finish is a winner as far as the screen goes. Other than that, both phones are super fast, very smooth, maybe the S24U is just a tiny bit smoother and faster than the Pixel, which totally shocks me in a good way.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240303_165555_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240303_165555_One UI Home.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Discovered that my wife's s24 does not have the same style of display as the ultra. That phone dims while wearing polarized glasses.

So I've had my SIN back in the Pixel 8 Pro all weekend, and did that very minimal looking homescreen, and it felt so good, the device itself with the rounded corners, and more narrow candybar shape is very comfortable to hold, and UI just moves so fluid and all the little bounces and sweet little animations is pleasant.

This afternoon I put my SIM back in the S24U, and what a beast of a device, it really does feels like a pocket Desktop PC shrunk down to a smartphone size, if that makes sense.

Have to say between the two phones, I'm torn, I like them equally for different reasons, both I think are the top dog Android phones this year. The display with the vibrant colors and deep blacks and non glossy matte finish is a winner as far as the screen goes. Other than that, both phones are super fast, very smooth, maybe the S24U is just a tiny bit smoother and faster than the Pixel, which totally shocks me in a good way.
I traded my P8P with a friend who has the S24U over the weekend. We just wanted to see how each of us liked the other's phone. No question that the Samsung is superior hardware. Everything about it screams quality. When we traded back, he was very impressed with the user experience of the P8P. He preferred the camera, too. I'm still okay with my P8P, as much as I like the S24U. Right now, I'm just tired of fucking around with phones. :D

I did keep the S24U, but having a hard time making a final decision, been SIM swapping daily for about a week now.

The S24U is clearly the better built, better designed, with way better [H]hardware phone. Fact.

But... There is just some special magic with the Pixel phone, I can't seem to give up, even though the Galaxy is shockingly a smoother faster phone.

I kind of still prefer the Pixel feel in hand and just picking it up and using it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240308-092049.png
    Screenshot_20240308-092049.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240308-092042.png
    Screenshot_20240308-092042.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Since I've been SIM swapping for the past week, a few things stand out between the S24U and P8P

-Battery life on the S24U is SIGNIFICANTLY better

-Network connection and Bluetooth is also noticablly better. Areas that used to be poor signal, I get great on the S24U, and Bluetooth connects wirelessly perfect on on the S24U, where the Bluetooth on the P8P was so so not reliable connected to my car.

-AoD I'm a big always on display user since Google first started doing it years ago. But I really like Samsung's version better now, more options, widgets, customization, plus it's brighter and more bold looking.

-Non-glossy, matte display on the S24U is so great, this needs to become the new standard on all smartphones.

Last edited:
I'm really happy that Samsung finally figured out dual sim visual voicemail with their built in app. Now it syncs both completely seamlessly and lists both voicemails in a single place.

Having to use the T-Mobile VVM app and calling into Verizon because there app never authenticates in a dual sim phone was a pita that should have been solved years ago.

Editing X360 videos on this phone is a breeze. The screen, the pen and the processor make it so effortless.

Saw someone post a screen shot of their homescreen on XDA, and wow, this looks crazy.

brouwerchris

Stock S24 U , NO ROOT :
Reev Pro icons
One UI Home , with GoodLock ThemePark

Attachments

• 1000048326.jpg
    1000048326.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 1
I know I sound like a broken record, but the non-reflective matte screen on the S24 Ultra, really is a game changer for me, it looks so dang good, that I can't get another phone unless it has a similar type display tech.

Sure hope the Pixel 9 Pro has this same type of screen.

Few photos I took last night walking in the park:

Attachments

• 20240423_202630.jpg
    20240423_202630.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240423_202638.jpg
    20240423_202638.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240423_201801.jpg
    20240423_201801.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 0
If I have one beef with a S24 Ultra it's how smudgy and greasy the screen can get with prolonged use.

It seems this phone display needs to be wiped down very thoroughly very often to keep it beautiful if you're busy at work and using it here and there after eating lunch or putting it to your face multiple times the screen can get pretty nasty and then when the display is off just looking at it and off angles it's got like a really strange smudgy almost failed busted technology look? Hard to describe it almost seems like whatever that non-reflective coding is gets extra smudgy and greasy with some weird marks on it?

Back