Samsung 850 EVO 500GB very slow at launching applications

Legdotus

n00b
Hello, I have 2 HP Envy 15 laptops that are almost identical. They have the same CPU (Intel Core I7-4700MQ), and differ in RAM 16GB vs 8GB and screen resolution Full HD vs HD.

The laptop with 16GB RAM and Full HD resolution has a 850 EVO 500GB drive while the other one has a 850 EVO 250GB drive. The laptop with the 250GB version of the 850 EVO is blazing fast, while the other one with the 500GB version is very slow, especially for a SSD.

It takes one laptop 15 seconds to launch Visual Studio, while the other one requires literally only 2 seconds on the first launch and even less on sequential launches. Launching Steam takes 18 seconds on laptop and less than 5 on the other.

Loading the same project in Visual Studio takes 12 seconds on one laptop and 2 seconds on the other.

Both laptops have the same build of Windows 10, and I've even tried using Windows 7 on the slow one, but to no avail.

I did an experiment, and swapped the SSDs between the laptops, and the 250GB performed the same (great) in the other laptop, while the 500GB performed the same (badly) in the other laptop, so that takes out the possibility of some bad sata connector or whatever.

At this point I'm absolutely certain that it's the SSD's problem, but I have no idea as to why, because I would think the bigger capacity drive would actually be faster, not slower. Anyone has any ideas as to what might be the problem? Is there any chance my laptop like can't handle the 500GB version of the SSD and thus performs horribly?

Could it be a Fake drive or something? Because when you look at the performance benchmark stats in the Samsung Magician app, everything seems fine, and the app does say that the drive is Genuine.

Could the drive be a defective one? I'm out of ideas at this point.

magician 2.png

Attachments

• magician.png
    magician.png
    116 KB · Views: 33
Since your test ruled out other possibilities, I would RMA it or exchange it at the retailer if you can.

Quick question though, were both drives setup the same? The alignment could be screwed up on the larger drive if it wasn't formatted properly. I would do a secure erase with parted magic and then reinstall the OS from scratch while letting the OS setup the partitions and make sure any encryption is turned off. If it's still slow, then exchange the drive.

Last edited:
I don't think I have the option of exchanging it I'm afraid, I've been using this for 9 months now, and it was purchased in eBay in the UK but at first I thought it was maybe my CPU (I had an i5 for CPU) so I actually bought the i7 a few days ago hoping my performance would go up, but it did so only marginally, so it was obviously not the CPU's fault.

At this point I'll give it one last try, completely erase the drive as u suggested with that parted magic in a hail mary attempt, but I don't really have my hopes up. If it doesn't work I'll put it in my old PC and buy a 250GB one just to be safe.

Before RMA, maybe try a fresh install with format in Windows, either version to make sure you have your alignment correct. Otherwise, return it to Samsung and/or get a new one. If it isn't an alignment issue, then it may be a failing controller/interface board.

Pretty sure this is a software issue of some kind, you need to make raw benchmarks if you're going to claim that the drive is faulty.

Back