Samsung 840 SSD was worth it !!

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
Planetside 2 loads about 3 times as fast now even Internet surfing is fast and I have a lowly 156+ K connection it's about 3 times as fast too !

The cloning process took about 25 minutes to move 160 gigs to the 250 gig Samsung SSD.

I wish I didn't buy the kit version see with the kit version you get a hookup for laptops which is a USB and it gives you a shelf for the SSD drive if your Case doesn't have one and some screws.

Are the directions in English? NO they just show diagrams!!!

The only thing I can't figure out is how to get it to ACHI or AHCI on my Gigabyte motherboard.... I changed a setting in the bios but it reverted back... so I'm not going to mess with it.

My WIE index from the regular 5.9 to 7.4 I'm sure it would be like .4-5 higher if I got the pro version.

mine too! i have the samsung 840 now-- used to have a 3yr old samsung.
I forget what model; but 3 yrs ago the speeds were much worse. Still like a jet vs a prop plane compared to a disk drive, but I can tell the difference.

If you want help getting the ACHI mode to work, it would help if you posted your system specs. What CPU, board and operating system at the least. I have a 500Gb 840 and it does a 7.9 on the W/E.
Did you set it to ACHI before you installed your OS and data? If you did not then that may be the problem.

Just wanted to chime in that I'm using the pro and I load between instances faster than everybody I've played with. Zero tweaks to windows or bios. Just a fresh windows install when I replaced my old SSD. I need to update my signature.

You're going to want to figure out that AHCI issue and get it on AHCI *before* you install the OS.

You're going to want to figure out that AHCI issue and get it on AHCI *before* you install the OS.

Yeah, that's what I remember. You have to set it to ACHI first, then load the OS. You can't do it after the fact.

yes u r going to have to reformat, reinstall windows, after you set bios to AHCI mode. And you "must" do that If you want higher speed.

You don't have to reformat, you just need to make sure you install the ahci driver before you switch it.

You can switch AHCI on after the fact. Google "AHCI registry edit" .

^ correct

However, if your motherboard offers Intel Matrix RAID/RST 8.7 or later, use that, even if not making an actual array. To get that working, run RAIDFix, then enable RAID in BIOS, then install the latest Intel RST drivers. Always use Intel's RAID mode when running Windows.

I just got this drive installed last weekend and WHOA!!

This is my first SSD and I had NO IDEA it would make this big of an impact.

Every man who calls himself a PC gamer needs an SSD, period.

Everyone needs an SSD, not just gamers. An SSD is the most direct way for a layman to experience a "faster" computer. RAM or CPU is not gonna do it -- an SSD will. Best thing is the performance doesn't degrade over time like a Windows install on an HDD.

Every time I build a computer for a casual user, I tell them that they absolutely must trust me and spend the money on an SSD (which is not that hard to do anymore since they are dirt cheap and you don't need high capacity). The fact is even a casual user who knows nothing about computers will understand what the SSD offers when they use the computer for the first time and see the startup and application load times.

^ correct

However, if your motherboard offers Intel Matrix RAID/RST 8.7 or later, use that, even if not making an actual array. To get that working, run RAIDFix, then enable RAID in BIOS, then install the latest Intel RST drivers. Always use Intel's RAID mode when running Windows.

Could you please expand on the above? Why/how would I set up an array with one drive?

I'm about to create a new build using my first SSD and a fresh W7 install. I'd like to maximize performance (obviously), but have never heard of using the raid option in bios when setting up a single SSD.

Thanks,
Ken

Intel recommends it http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-015988.htm and with recent OROM versions it offers better TRIM support.

If you are using a SATA hard drive, set your BIOS to RAID mode. RAID mode provides the greatest overall flexibility and upgradeability because it allows your system to be RAID ready and enable AHCI.

At work all the Dells we've been getting for a good couple years now have come with RAID enabled with no arrays,

Agreed SSD are great.
As I can afford it, I'm replacing my 128 GB SSD's with 256 GB.
Interesting factor is soon, I will have 2 x128GB to try in Raid :)

I just got this drive installed last weekend and WHOA!!

This is my first SSD and I had NO IDEA it would make this big of an impact.

Every man who calls himself a PC gamer needs an SSD, period.

Yes,applications open so much faster.

I am tired of the 240GB capacity limit of my Intel SSD and I am about to acquire a Samsung 840 pro 512GB.
Not sure that I will be able to appreciate the additional performance compared to my intel 520 thought.

I am tired of the 240GB capacity limit of my Intel SSD and I am about to acquire a Samsung 840 pro 512GB.
Not sure that I will be able to appreciate the additional performance compared to my intel 520 thought.
. just bought 2 one 256 for my os and one 512GB for my game folder , I cant wait to go back to a solo quick ssd instead of running raided ssd . and i had intel 120 520 raided . . all this after getting on my freinds pc.
You WILL be able to appreciate the additional performance . if you looking for just space though I have a 4 month old Intel 520 480 In The F.S Forum

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I remember. You have to set it to ACHI first, then load the OS. You can't do it after the fact.

Actually, you can.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci

Change "start" to 0

Reboot and change it in the BIOS.

I just did a fresh install onto a 250GB 840. Coming from a HyperX 120GB, I can say this thing is noticeably faster for boot, load and launch times. I don't remember what my 830 was like, but this is by the far the snappiest PC I've ever built. And the price is right for the 840 (picked mine up off of Amazon sponsored purchase link ;)).

If your MB has a 2nd HD controller (Marvel, etc), it's even easier to add AHCI; after the fact. Just change the 2nd drive controller to AHCI (the controller you don't have the SSD on). When you boot into windows next, it will see the new AHCI controller and add the neccesary drivers/registry changes. Restart after this and then go back and change the primary (the one you are booting from) to AHCI in BIOS. Since the AHCI drivers are already loaded now. Windows will automatically use it for the now-AHCI primary controller.

SSDs make me miss my coffee, theres no time to make one before it boots now.
Also an 840 Pro user and its really quick, noticeably quicker the the OCz Vector in everyday use on a seasoned Windows install.

You don't know SSD speed until you got a 1GBps SSD Raid 0. ;)

I used to run 3x 64GB crucial M4s in raid 0 which achieved 1GBps and to tell you the truth, in real world usage you couldn't tell the difference over just running a single drive. For some reason, FEAR 2 loaded noticeably slower with the raid 0, not sure why.

For some reason, FEAR 2 loaded noticeably slower with the raid 0, not sure why.

Random 4K performance is expected to be lower in raid0 although I do not think it should be that noticeable.

My sister-in-law's PC was running Windows XP on an Intel e6600, 4GB of DDR2 RAM, and a 100GB drive that was pretty old (Seagate 7200.7 or so I think). Lots of waiting for it to do anything. She wanted to make it faster but had a very small budget; going to a haswell motherboard and cpu was way out of that.

The e6600 is not a bad CPU for what she was using it for (mostly MS Office, and family picture editing for her scrapbooking habit), so for $200, I got her Windows 8 and a Samsung 840 120GB (non-Pro). The difference is like night and day. No waiting for anything. It constantly surprises her that she doesn't have to wait for something to happen. I won't need to upgrade anything else on that PC and it's old as dirt. I had worried about whether the non-Pro would be slow compared to the Pro but on computers like this, is it absolutely not a concern, and she certainly doesn't write enough data to wear out even TLC NAND before the end of the century.

Yep, in my opinion a SSD is by far the best bang for the buck in many system upgrades. You can't beat the seat of the pants performance gains.

I got a non Pro 840 250 and it seems snappier or at least as snappy as the M4 128 it replaced. *shrug*
Hell, I think I got it for only a little more than the smaller M4 originally cost me a year ago. I looked at an M4 250 but it was $30 more so I bit on the 840 figuring what the hell.

I've read that some have torture tested the 840 to see if they could get the 3 bit memory to fail and it is doing fine so... I think my little gaming machine will be ok.

I think I am going to add another 250 when the 840 EVO comes out.

I only use mechanicals as backups now, well and pictures that I'm not going to look at but want to save. I can't even stand to have one as a game drive.

My sister-in-law's PC was running Windows XP on an Intel e6600, 4GB of DDR2 RAM, and a 100GB drive that was pretty old (Seagate 7200.7 or so I think). Lots of waiting for it to do anything. She wanted to make it faster but had a very small budget; going to a haswell motherboard and cpu was way out of that.

The e6600 is not a bad CPU for what she was using it for (mostly MS Office, and family picture editing for her scrapbooking habit), so for $200, I got her Windows 8 and a Samsung 840 120GB (non-Pro). The difference is like night and day. No waiting for anything. It constantly surprises her that she doesn't have to wait for something to happen. I won't need to upgrade anything else on that PC and it's old as dirt. I had worried about whether the non-Pro would be slow compared to the Pro but on computers like this, is it absolutely not a concern, and she certainly doesn't write enough data to wear out even TLC NAND before the end of the century.

Before the end of the century? Yeah right, that's why that product only has a 3 year warranty right?

honestly you'd be bottlenecking the ssd with the older Sata 2. Other than that I believe anything that she does will be a great big boost. Working related it's perfect for everything.

Rocking the 840 here. Wow , just wow. I really love skimming through videos of my kids with instantaneous playback. I can switch clips midway and in an instant the next video is playing. Ludicrous speed!

Back