Samsung 712n LCD being dumb

Rev. Night

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently got a Samsung 712n 17" LCD monitor for xmas (Cost was about $300). My reason for getting this were the good reviews and word about it, specifically b/c what i read about THG about it. The native res is 1280x1024 @ 60 mhz. So i boot it up and it looks all pretty, but to my dismay, it refuses to do 2 things:

1. Acknowledge that any resolution above it even exists and it selectable.

2. Allow me to play at any resolution below the native.

As soon as i try to put it on, for example, 1024x768, the monitor gives me a prompt error saying "Not optimum mode. Recremmended Mode is 1280x1024 60hz". The screen will flash that for a minute then it will go totally black, with just that error floating up and down the screen. So i was like wtf, i thought this was a great monitor, why can't i be in any resolution but native. This is espicially maddening b/c some programs (and older games) only go up to 1024x768, if that. To troubleshoot this, i tried to drop the hz down to 60 at the lower resolutions, but i still got the error

I just called Samsung Tech Help and asked them about my problem. They said that i could only be in my native res and the blacking was with all of the LCDs. In my previous drivers, det 66.23s, they had an option to force the resolution/hz. WHile that was a short fix and i was able to play at lower resolutions, the video was very choppy despite the fact that i was getting 60-100 fps.

So my question is:

1. How can I get the black from appearing and so i can play nicely at any resolution i want?

2. If i can't, what monitor can i buy instead?

System specs:

A64 3500+ (130nm)
PNY 6800GT, dets 71.24
ABit AV8
2x512 Crucial ddr333
winxp
Samsung 712n (Analog input only)

not that im one of those posters who doesnt contribute anything to the problem and dodges answering the question, but you have a 6800GT, why play at 1024?

anyway, i have the Samsung Syncmaster 710T, none of the problems you stated.. have you tried messing around with the menu options on the monitor? also, i find it strange that your monitor doesnt like anything except the native res, because when your post screen is being displayed thats sure as hell not your native res.. I would try tinkering with a very low resolution and see if you ahve the same prob, perhaps 320x240 if you can get it that low (in a game or something)...and i would make sure the refresh overriding is turned off, and try to run your game and whatever else at 16 bit color.. also, im 90% sure that your monitor is analog, but if it has a DVI and analog option, try using the one youre not currently using.

What a coincidence! I just got mine Samsung 712N a couple days ago. Its working perfectly. I just tried playing Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War in 800x600 after reading your post and everything was fine. What did you try to play then?

you cannot go above the native resolution of an LCD monitor.
You should be able to g lower though. Go to samsung web site and see if there are drivers available for your monitor (my computer recognizes that I have a samsung 512n and adjust its options for it).

also make sure your video drivers are up to date. Furthermore, going outside of your native resolutino results in sharp decreases in picture quality.

edit:
all model numbers ending in n (for samsung) are analoge, T usually has both (but def has DVI).
example:
512N = analogue
710N - analog
710T = DVI (and analog)

Did you install the monitor drivers? I know my LCD came with a driver CD that is recommended for optimum performance, so that could be preventing you from changing anything.

When they say "native" resolution, they mean highest resolution. You can't run LCD's at higher than native, which is misleading in and of itself.

[Tripod]MajorPayne said:
Did you install the monitor drivers? I know my LCD came with a driver CD that is recommended for optimum performance, so that could be preventing you from changing anything.

When they say "native" resolution, they mean highest resolution. You can't run LCD's at higher than native, which is misleading in and of itself.

well, it doesnt just mean the highest, it means it is its native resolution, and because of the nature of LCD's you cannot go higher. Each "pixel" is really just a molecule or so of whatever substance they are currently using (the liquid crystal). Each one of these is twisted depending on their temperature so that they polarize a certain amount to allow certain frequencies and amounts of the white back light thru. Think of each pixel as a window shade that can be open or closed (and anywhere in between). Lower resolutions are "faked" and lose quality because the monitor has to calculate these changes adding to response time and loss of color quality.

Back