Samsung 240b and 85hz???

nst6563

2[H]4U
anyone else able to run this? I know it normally had support for 75hz, but i unchecked the box to "hide unsupported resolutions" and selected 85hz (using DVI) and it's been working just fine, even in games. Haven't tried any higher, but has anyone else done this? Tried any higher than 85hz?

I know it doesn't work on the VGA connection, gives me an unsupported synch message and the screen goes black after a minute (but gives you long enough to change the setting back luckily :) ).

:EDIT: - just tried 90hz and it's running fine...guess if smoke comes out I'll know I shouldn't have gone that high :p

:EDIT2: ok...now I have it set at 100hz...even played some games at 100hz...set ATI CCC to override the 3d-refresh rate to 100hz....and all it well. Been running it at 100hz for a few hours now. Does the refresh actually mean anything on LCD's using DVI????

ok...made a mistake, my lcd is a 940b...not 240...not sure where I came up with 240...but anyway....

I'm now sitting at 120hz for the refresh...screen looks and acts perfect...
Is this "normal"?

ok...so I just said screw it, and set it at 180hz. Lookin' good. ATI CCC even has the refresh rate override set to 180hz.

is it safe to assume that the refresh doesn't do squat when using DVI? If so...then why's it there and why do the mfr drivers limit it to 60 or 70/75???

I really don't know if that's safe or not. But I just wanted to say your crazy. I'll be watching this thread to find out. Good Luck!

LOL! funny stuff though that it actually works :p

sitting at 180hz now...played some oblivion with VSYNC on and it was beautiful.

I agree with Sta!nless, for myself, I just purchased my first lcd, and was curious about this as well, even though I'm not going to personally test this theory without having someone with the knowledge to explain this a bit more.

Sphere

yeah...I'd like someone with vastly more LCD/DVI knowledge than myself to offer some insight. I'm really curious as to why I can run 180hz when it's normally limited to 75hz or 60hz. When it's set to 180hz...motion on the screen is MUCH smoother...I actually had to drop the mouse speed 1 notch...curious about that too...but not as much :p

Most of the time the screen is running off the VGA @ 75hz b/c that's what my work computer is hooked up to. So it's not like I'm actually running the 180hz 24x7. I was only it for a few hours today.

Ok...figured I'd follow up on this...but I forgot that the Samsung had an "info" display. So, what I did was step through each of the refresh rate settings and look at the info display. once I got past 75hz, the display never showed anything but 75hz. Maybe it converts 180hz to 75hz??? Dunno...but my mouse moves a bit quicker, and games seem smoother with vsync on when it's set to 180hz. Maybe the monitor is actually doing 180hz and the infomation display wasn't coded to go that high?

yes, but I haven't run FRAPS to actually verify it with proof :p

But with windows set at 75hz, Oblivion DOES play a bit choppier especially when outside. When I switch to 180hz in windows, there is a noticeable difference in the gameplay smoothness. If I have time in the next few days I'll d/l fraps and see what's really happening, but it won't be this weekend as I'll be out of town :(

Back