Samsung 225BW (22" WS, 5ms, $399?)

DepTi

n00b
I was in Fry's Electronics today and happened to notice a monitor I hadn't seen anywhere yet, the Samsung 225BW. I've been reading these forums for a little while and trying to find a new monitor to get, and it looks like this may be it. I looked on NewEgg, here, and at the WSGF and found no mention of it, as it seems this monitor is just coming out. You can find a review here:

http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2842&Itemid=40

Anyway, for a 22" monitor for $399, this looks to be an awesome deal. I'm wondering what the egg will price it at when they get it. My short exposure to it had me excited. So far I've summed it up:

Pros:
-Slim, sleak bezel (See picture in review)
-Price (I just noticed in that review that they said it should release at ~$700, yet I even called Fry's and confirmed they have it for $399)
-5ms response time
-8-bit panel
-Size (Good middle ground between 20" and 24", and after looking at that and then the 20WMGX2, I've decided that 20" is a little too small for my tastes)
-HDCP

So-so:
-1680x1050 resolution (Disapointed that it's not higher, as with the monitor size it makes for a large pixel pitch, but this means you also get higher FPS in games)
-280 cd/m2 brightness (Although even in that bright ass store, playing around with the controls, the brightness setting was at 85 and it still looked bright enough)
-700:1 contrast ratio (Although not bad, it's not that great compared to others)

Cons:
-Non-glossy (Although this is more personal prefrence)

Finally, I should mention that the first thing I thought when I noticed it was a Samsung was that it might suffer from input lag similar to the 244T. I observed it as best I could and even with the crappy optical mouse they had attached to whatever computer was there, I couldn't detect any input lag, so maybe that's a good sign.

-DepTi

To bad it uses a TN panel.

I would guess it is a 6 bit+FRC to reach 16.7 million and not a true 8 bit panel. I am not aware of any 8 bit panels, but I may be wrong.

I saw this today at fry's. It looks like the same panel as the Westinghouse 22" (DVI, VGA, Components) $480 and the Acer AL2216W (DVI, VGA) $350 at costco.

I have the Acer right now and all I can say is that the vertical viewing angle is noticable. I can see a significant color change when moving my head slightly up and down. If you can live with that its an excellent deal.

the Samsung looks like shit in that side by side pic with the Gateway. :(

travbomb said:

I would guess it is a 6 bit+FRC to reach 16.7 million and not a true 8 bit panel. I am not aware of any 8 bit panels, but I may be wrong.

Are you sure it's a TN panel?

JohnleMVP said:
I saw this today at fry's. It looks like the same panel as the Westinghouse 22" (DVI, VGA, Components) $480 and the Acer AL2216W (DVI, VGA) $350 at costco.

I have the Acer right now and all I can say is that the vertical viewing angle is noticable. I can see a significant color change when moving my head slightly up and down. If you can live with that its an excellent deal.

The Samsung product page shows a 160 degree viewing angle for both horizontal and vertical so maybe Samsung took care of that.

I didn't even think to look up what kind of panel it uses. Doesn't seem like as good of deal now with it being a TN. If I do get it, I'll have to line it up next to my 191T and see if there's a noticable difference as far as color/contrast goes, as I've always thought my 191T does very well. I'll get some pictures on here for sure if I end up getting it.

travbomb said:

I thought if it used 6 bit+FRC that it would display 16.2, not 16.7 million. Samsung's site says 16.7 million, and the review I posted a link to claims 8-bit, but who knows where he got that info from. On that press release link, the other panels they mention have 16.2 million colors, where the 225BW says 16.7 million.

DepTi said:
The Samsung product page shows a 160 degree viewing angle for both horizontal and vertical so maybe Samsung took care of that.

I didn't even think to look up what kind of panel it uses. Doesn't seem like as good of deal now with it being a TN. If I do get it, I'll have to line it up next to my 191T and see if there's a noticable difference as far as color/contrast goes, as I've always thought my 191T does very well. I'll get some pictures on here for sure if I end up getting it.

Acer also rates the viewing angle at 160 both ways, but in real life it is noticable. Not significant, but more so then other monitors.

JohnleMVP said:
Acer also rates the viewing angle at 160 both ways, but in real life it is noticable. Not significant, but more so then other monitors.

I'll remember to check that when I go back to Fry's to look at it again.

DepTi said:
I'll remember to check that when I go back to Fry's to look at it again.
Samsung almost always list their viewing anlges at 160 even if the same panel in another brand monitor is listed at 130-150.

You forgot the poor viewing angles in your list of negatives.

The link from BCCHardware tells you that the Samsung starts losing color accuracy fast from 10 degrees off vertically - that's pretty bad but fairly typical for TN Film. What this means in real life is as you start slouching or sitting up in your seat the colors all start visibly shifting.
So I don't think Samsung has "fixed" anything in this regard.

I just looked at this monitor at Fry's and compared it to the Viewsonic 2025. They don't compare! The Viewsonic's P-MVA panel is far superior to the Samsung's TN panel. The Viewsonics viewing angles are better and overall picture quality beats this Samsung hands down. It's too bad because I've been really wanting a good 22-inch monitor but these TN's just don't cut it.

trek554 said:
yes its a TN panel.

I'm sorry if this offends you, but how do you know for sure though? Do you have any evidence to support your claim? It's kind of unethical to make such unsubstaniated claim.

Sgt_Strider said:
I'm sorry if this offends you, but how do you know for sure though? Do you have any evidence to support your claim? It's kind of unethical to make such unsubstaniated claim.
I am 99.9% sure that it's a TN panel too. It has the exact same stats as other samsung TN panels such as the CR>5 @160. That's pretty much a tell tale sign of TN from samsung. All of there pva and s-pva panels list 170 to 178 degrees. Also, 6bit with dithering is now being rated at 16.7mil colors by samsung in many different cases when the panel is actually a 6bit one. They also do this on the 970p and 205b (and maybe more I dunno). So imho this is a 6bit TN panel.

SonComet said:
I am 99.9% sure that it's a TN panel too. It has the exact same stats as other samsung TN panels such as the CR>5 @160. That's pretty much a tell tale sign of TN from samsung. All of there pva and s-pva panels list 170 to 178 degrees. Also, 6bit with dithering is now being rated at 16.7mil colors by samsung in many different cases when the panel is actually a 6bit one. They also do this on the 970p and 205b (and maybe more I dunno). So imho this is a 6bit TN panel.
no its a true 8-bit TN panel. Samsung lists their 6-bit TN panel monitors such as the 931BF at 16.2 million colors.

trek554 said:
no its a true 8-bit TN panel. Samsung lists their 6-bit TN panel monitors such as the 931BF at 16.2 million colors.
I don't think so. I think that they just use a different/better dithering technique to get to 16.7m like they did on the 970p. Has anyone proven it was 8bits? The 16.7 number can't always be trusted.

SonComet said:
I don't think so. I think that they just use a different/better dithering technique to get to 16.7m like they did on the 970p. Has anyone proven it was 8bits? The 16.7 number can't always be trusted.
SAMSUNG lists their 6-bit TN panels at 16.2 not 16.7 million. they lists the new 225BW at 16.7 million because it is an 8-bit TN panel.

trek554 said:
SAMSUNG lists their 6-bit TN panels at 16.2 not 16.7 million. they lists the new 225BW at 16.7 million because it is an 8-bit TN panel.
Like I said, they have said 16.7 on 6bit panels in the past. Find some proof and I will believe you :p.

SonComet said:
Like I said, they have said 16.7 on 6bit panels in the past. Find some proof and I will believe you :p.
Show me where it says 16.7 for any 6-bit TN panel on Samsung's site. It clearly says 16.2 for all their 6-bit TN panels. The only review of the 225BW even list it as 8-bit.

Here is the link to the panel. It uses a B-TN III panel which I believe is 8-bit. http://www.samsung.com/Products/TFTLCD/Monitor/LTM220M1/LTM220M1.htm

Back