Ryzen 1700x not OC stable

SvenBent

2[H]4U
Boughtt myself a little upgrade based on some recommendation in here ( specific on the mobo).
However just a slligtgt OC to 3400 makes it prime95 unstable (v29.7b5 blend with AVX)

Specs:
AMD Ryzen R7 1700x
Standard AMD cooler (waiting for bracket
Asrock X370-x
2x8G Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz C15 memory
Windows 7 Updated to September 2017 ( trying to avoid the meltdown updates)

Approach:
My memory is only running at 2133 so far however it was test ok with memtest86 v7.x at 2400mhz speed and 2133mhz speed.
But i wanted to focus on CPU overclocking first
I found the mac voltage i could give via P-states adjustments. over that and it drops to second highest p states.
still not stables
So started adding more voltage from the general Volt increase function. small steps at a time.
still not prime95 stable
When i hit +200mv it will not boot windows anymore

This is at just a 3.4ghz overclock...
This has probably been my worst OC experience on any platform (AMD or Intel)

The CPU hits Around 55c during prime95 Blend mode

Does the chip clock properly without oc? 3.4 is the stock speed so that's not even an overclock.

It should hit 3.5ghz (XFR) in normal operation without oc, so if it's doing that but then failing at 3.4 when you set it manually, something must be wrong in your bios settings, particularly if you're trying to p state oc. If it won't hit 3.5 stock, then it's defective. If it is hitting 3.5, then I would oc in the standard manner to find it's limits before setting the p state oc settings.

I dint even check that.
i
if i ran default no oc settings it only goes to 3.2ghz according to CPU-z it however remains stable and can do 16+hours of prime95 blend with avx

Default everything and start again. Newest BIOS helped my Hynix memory and maybe even OC. I did not check with the newest BIOS of my R5 1600 OC. Had it up to 3800 stable without too much voltage before the recent BIOS updates. 3875 max, more volts, getting hot and crashing Cinebench. My 2400G seems like a golden sample so far.

overclocking on asrock boards is a bit weird.. the normal cpu voltage setting in the bios you want to leave on auto and do everything within the pstate 0 setting, leave the rest of the pstates at their default settings. my suggestion would be to do some googling or dig through the asrock taichi thread on overclocking.net. there's a ton of information in there about overclocking on asrock's bios which should be identical to the x370-x board. working 7 days a week i haven't had any real time to spend properly overclocking my r5 1600 so i can't give any specifics on what to do, sorry.

Back