Ryzen 1700x issues after a year, black screen/blue screen. Wth?

Arcygenical

Fully [H]
Hey all,

For the record, I'm using:
MSI Morter Arctic B350 Matx.
1x 8gb Gskill RGB F4-3000C series RAM (at 1.35v, 2T, 18,18,18,38 just for testing, usually 2 DIMM's but 1x for now).
AMD 290x under fullcover water.
WD black PCIe NVMe M2 512gb HDD.

Built a Ryzen system last January. No issues whatsoever. I cleaned my custom WC loop about a week back. After putting everything back together I was seeing a black screen immediately after POST. I could get into the BIOS absolutely fine, change settings, get to windows repair using my USB Boot media, etc.

However, after POST, I got nothing. Black screen. Dead. At this point, my USB keyboard LED's wouldn't even respond.

After a night of messing around (used the boot media to "reset this PC") I finally got the machine to POST, bypass the black screen issue, and get to the login screen.

Now, though, the machine gives me an almost immediate "page fault in nonpaged area" blue screen, citing atikmdag.sys as the driver with the issue... This comes at random... I can usually get to the login prompt, sometimes just past entering a password, sometimes it happens right after POST.

I've tried a new PSU, and the behaviour is the same.
Memtest shows no errors.
PSU 12v shows 12.1v with a DMM.
I have no LED's lit on either the 290x or the Motherboard.

Any idea what's going on?

I usually have other USB and Sata devices attached, but for now, they're not attached. No networking, sound etc. Barebones here. Again, I had zero issues for months. The build was rock solid, even at 3.9ghz. All I did was a bit of maintenance... re-routing cables (which I've since undone) and topping up the distilled water.

It's a hard-water loop. I really don't want to break the damn thing down.

Thanks...

Weird... After a full re-install everything is working properly.

I'm not sure what happened just by unplugging a few fans and drives.

I'm still leaving this open in-case anything else crops up.

I've lost complete confidence in this PC after that.

might be worth doing some stability testing on the 290x and see if maybe it's starting to give up the ghost, dunno. could of just been some kind of driver issue as well though.

The PC itself could have nothing to do with the issues you faced.
It's a common issue after "maintenance" to not be able to POST (or erratically). Something could not have been well seated in its slot/plug. I had these sorts of problems before, with an old videocard that got bent a little over the years (it was heavy passive-only) by its own weight. I made it straight by tieing it up and stretching it with a cord to the top of the case. It worked for years and if I sometimes accidentally push it a little or remove the cord, it wouldn't boot like so.

My watercooled 290x did the same thing. Kept getting random BSODs until I replaced the card.

Back