Running a CRT on Win8.1 over 60fps in Open GL games

neokeelo

[H]ard|Gawd
I bought the new Wolfenstein game and just for kick and dragging out my old Sony 24inch CRT to play it on :D

How can I get my CRT to run at over 60fps in Open GL? With Windows XP I used a program called Reforce but I 'm not sure if it works in Windows 8 yet. Im guessing it does not.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I know what you're talking about. But the problem with this game is the engine is capped to 60 FPS.

You can read the [H] evaluation of Rage, which is the first game to use this engine, here to read up on all the technical issues and limitations of id Tech 5. [H] also evaluated the new Wolfenstein and came to similar conclusions.

Yea I know the engine is capped at 60fps but the monitor can still run at 85hz @1920x1200, which is much more relaxing and less eye straining then 60hz.

You need to use thermal solder to glue liquid cooling heatsinks to the outside of the CRT tube. You'll want to get some heavy duty hoses and a good industrial-grade pump. Fill the loop with liquid nitrogen. Use a reservoir for this with enough room up at top so that you can vent the gas out and pour in more of the liquid.

With this, you should be able to overclock your monitor's refreshrate. I was able to do it with one of my 21" CRTs and attained something 240 Hz @ 1600x1200

Any game running at 60fps will look worse running at 85hz, because you'll have judder. You would have to go to 120hz to get perfect frame-pacing. I personally find that games look fine at 60hz, because the picture is usually darker than an open browser window. When I'm on the desktop, though, I have to bump it to 75 at least, 85 ideally.

You need to use thermal solder to glue liquid cooling heatsinks to the outside of the CRT tube. You'll want to get some heavy duty hoses and a good industrial-grade pump. Fill the loop with liquid nitrogen. Use a reservoir for this with enough room up at top so that you can vent the gas out and pour in more of the liquid.

With this, you should be able to overclock your monitor's refreshrate. I was able to do it with one of my 21" CRTs and attained something 240 Hz @ 1600x1200

Holy crap, how did you get the monitor to allow the higher refresh rate? All of mine will say "frequency out of range" if I go over 140.

Any game running at 60fps will look worse running at 85hz, because you'll have judder. You would have to go to 120hz to get perfect frame-pacing.

Worth mentioning: if 120Hz isn't attainable with your CRT, 90Hz is the next-best option (as apposed to 85Hz) for 60Hz content.

Frame-rate conversion should happen reasonably smoothly with a 1.5:1 ratio. It wont be perfect 2:1 like at 120Hz, but it's better than 1.41666:1 at 85Hz

Back