[RTX4090] MSI Suprim X fan grinding

sblantipodi

2[H]4U
Hi,
my RTX4090 MSI Suprim X started making a very bothersome noise when fans rump up over 90%.

If I manually stop one fan the noise stops, so I'm pretty sure that it's one of the three fans.

Is there a way to workaround this problem or should I RMA the card?

EDIT:
MSI sent me new fans and all is well now...
I loved the MSI support. They rocks and I will buy MSI products again!!!

Last edited:
Unless you do it yourself you pretty much have to RMA. I thought those cards were pretty cool and didn't ramp up to 90%+?

You can get replacement fan sets. Probably a pretty easy job to swap them.

Or you can RMA the card, and MSI will (probably) do it for you.

Why you say probably? Is MSI customer service bad?
I've had good results with MSI GPU RMAs. They may offer to send you replacement fans when you process the paperwork. If not, they'll do the work themselves when you send in the GPU.

Why you say probably? Is MSI customer service bad?
I just don't know exactly what they'll do. They may swap the fans on your card out, or they may just send you a refurb card, or send you new fans to change yourself.

One of the fans has a bad bearing. You can probably find the replacement fans on Ali-Express for pretty cheap. It's not very hard to change them out. I've had to do this on my 980GTX and several of my friends' video cards. These fans weren't designed to last forever and because of all the gouging, people are not upgrading cards as much as they used to. So I am seeing this more and more. Also a pretty good time to check out the TIM on the core and make sure the thermal pads are all making good contact with the cooler. If you feel comfortable doing so. However, you probably will not even need to remove the heatsink at all just to replace the fans. Only the fan shroud and fans. Unless, your card was manufactured by Gigabyte. In which case, they make no consideration to ensure this possibility.

To my knowledge and in my region, if you open the card then you are screwed out of warranty with MSI. I wouldn’t touch it for fear of future troubles down the line like melting power connectors or some other crap. Then you will be SOL.

Yeah if you have to remove the heatsink to remove the fans----don't do it yourself. They could deny your warranty after that. I think the only GPU brand left, which actually says you can remove the Heatsink, is XFX.

MSI cards have been having fan grinding issues since the new design with the 30 series, after hearing what a 3090 Suprim sounded like, I intentionally avoided the card when looking for a 4090, even though in "theory" they have the lowest acoustics per TPU reviews.

MSI cards have been having fan grinding issues since the new design with the 30 series, after hearing what a 3090 Suprim sounded like, I intentionally avoided the card when looking for a 4090, even though in "theory" they have the lowest acoustics per TPU reviews.
Yeah I bought a 4070 ti Ventus 3x, but returned it. The fan bearings make a lot of friction noise. It sounds like a gas leak or something. It even happens at low speed, just twirling the fan with your finger. That sound is generally louder than the fans themselves, unless you are running a game which is heavily stressing the GPU, causing the fans to really speed up.

Last edited:
MSI sent me new fans and all is well now...
I loved the MSI support. They rocks and I will buy MSI products again!!!

Back