RTX A2000 announced - fastest low-profile GPU

can someone tell me why they keep anouncing new products when they cant even stock their current offerings?

can someone tell me why they keep anouncing new products when they cant even stock their current offerings?
Because business doesn’t sleep. Many many other industries continue to roll out new products and lines regardless of availability or popularity of previous products. Common practice.

They just announced a 12GB variant. (Link)

Really insane considering the form factor. Would love one of these for my HTPC at some point. Leagues better then my GTX 1650 which used to be the best option for low profile cards.

Curious if anyone here was able to pick one of these up?

An online review places it at 80% as powerful as an rtx 3060 in gaming scenarios which is kind of insane

Last edited:
They just announced a 12GB variant. (Link)

Really insane considering the form factor. Would love one of these for my HTPC at some point. Leagues better then my GTX 1650 which used to be the best option for low profile cards.

Curious if anyone here was able to pick one of these up?

An online review places it at 80% as powerful as an rtx 3060 in gaming scenarios which is kind of insane

https://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/sho...KG801P.shtml&order_id=846726504&sitem=B9KG801

Preorders are under 200 orders so far, thanks for the heads-up :love:

Aren't the A series cards Quadros?
The four digit ones are Quadros with the new branding. The 2 and 3 digit ones are server cards.

Somewhat curiously, Nvidia did not make any passively cooled server versions of the 4-digit cards this generation. Previous generation Quadros largely had passive versions available in addition to the desktop/workstation blower models.

Well, based on published core counts and clocks (3328 cores, 1200mhz boost) this will be quite a bit weaker than the gaming cards on the market.

I estimate ~63% of the performance of a reference 3060. Probably similar to a mobile 3050ti

As with all "Quadro" type cards it will probably carry a price tag that makes this comparison silly. If you need a professional card, it may not be bad, but game performance will likely be pretty underwhelming.

It will be one of the weakest cards to get the RTX treatment.

If I had to guess they may be short on high binned chips to make high end gamer cards, but likely have a huge surplus of lower binned ones they can't use for anything else.

Well, based on published core counts and clocks (3328 cores, 1200mhz boost) this will be quite a bit weaker than the gaming cards on the market.

I estimate ~63% of the performance of a reference 3060. Probably similar to a mobile 3050ti

As with all "Quadro" type cards it will probably carry a price tag that makes this comparison silly. If you need a professional card, it may not be bad, but game performance will likely be pretty underwhelming.

It will be one of the weakest cards to get the RTX treatment.
easy replacement for all my P620's

Does the 2000 mean its based on a Turing chip? Maybe a die shrunk Turing? Or is it Ampere? I wonder if getting these into small formfactor requires taking a 2080ti or 3080ti level chip (top binned chips) and just under volting/underclocking to fit the power envelope and available cooling. Or if it's based on Turing, maybe it's just die-shrunk. Maybe all of the above.

Does the 2000 mean its based on a Turing chip? Maybe a die shrunk Turing? Or is it Ampere? I wonder if getting these into small formfactor requires taking a 2080ti or 3080ti level chip (top binned chips) and just under volting/underclocking to fit the power envelope and available cooling. Or if it's based on Turing, maybe it's just die-shrunk. Maybe all of the above.
It's Ampere.

Wikipedia lists it as GA106-850-A1. Not sure what the source is though.

It's definitely Ampere as per the "A" in the name, the GA106 die, and the specifications. The "2000" just means it's a lower tier- NV's recent-ish pro cards have a naming system that uses the first digit for the tier, and indicates the generation with a prefix ie "K5000", "M3000", "P6000", "RTX 8000", "A4000".
A die-shrunk TU102 (only Turing chip that could make this config) would be sick but putting one on an SFF card would be totally insane 'cause an 8nm TU202 would still be a huge chip and fitting 12 memory channels on a HHHL card would require heroic PCB engineering if it's even possible. Plus having that chip out there would extremely do the 3070Ti dirty 'cause you know AIBs wouldn't just stick to putting it in low-power cards and a shrunk 2080Ti would end up with pretty much identical performance, memory bandwidth, and power consumption to a gakked-out GA104, yet it would still be the larger die while competing with GA104 for Sammy fab space. I think TU106 is the only resurrection we'll see for RTX 20x0 but boy howdy would it be hilarious if I'm wrong abt that in the future.

Last edited:
Looks like they have since announced 204 cards on the way since posting. Hopefully they actually make it. Gotta admit I bit. Still, paying full price and feeling like its a deal is not something I hope I get used to. I'll probably mine it to make the sticker shock feel a little better while I'm not gaming on it. Aparrantly it makes like $77 a month according to nicehash's calculator last I checked.

Looks like they have since announced 204 cards on the way since posting. Hopefully they actually make it. Gotta admit I bit. Still, paying full price and feeling like its a deal is not something I hope I get used to. I'll probably mine it to make the sticker shock feel a little better while I'm not gaming on it. Aparrantly it makes like $77 a month according to nicehash's calculator last I checked.

Yikes. $850, for something that probably performs along the lines of a 1060 but with RT capability?

Seems a bit steep to me.

Yikes. $850, for something that probably performs along the lines of a 1060 but with RT capability?

Seems a bit steep to me.
It's a workstation card, that is about on-point. This is powered completely via the PCIe slot and fits in low profile cases, I've already contacted my supplier and got my name down for the first 8 he can get me because they are going in all my security monitors. It's going to really cut down on the encoding times and greatly improve the playback of the 4K video the system encodes from the cameras (currently equipped with P600's or P620's). I don't know WTF is wrong with people right now but I am spending way too much time right now getting video for the RCMP.

It's a workstation card, that is about on-point. This is powered completely via the PCIe slot and fits in low profile cases, I've already contacted my supplier and got my name down for the first 8 he can get me because they are going in all my security monitors. It's going to really cut down on the encoding times and greatly improve the playback of the 4K video the system encodes from the cameras (currently equipped with P600's or P620's). I don't know WTF is wrong with people right now but I am spending way too much time right now getting video for the RCMP.

Seems to be a worldwide phenomenon these days.

I wonder how much of it is due to mental health flareups from the stressors resultant from a variety of things going on right now, including the pandemic.

At least that's the only explanation I can think of.

Seems to be a worldwide phenomenon these days.

I wonder how much of it is due to mental health flareups from the stressors resultant from a variety of things going on right now, including the pandemic.

At least that's the only explanation I can think of.
yeah probably.

I wonder how this baby can transcode for plex.

Though if I were doing another build I'd ditch my ryzen 3600 and get a new i3 with quicksync. those things are insane.

I wonder how this baby can transcode for plex.

Though if I were doing another build I'd ditch my ryzen 3600 and get a new i3 with quicksync. those things are insane.
Supposedly it uses the same NVenc performance profile as the 1650 super but now includes AV1 decoding, so that's decent at least.

Supposedly it uses the same NVenc performance profile as the 1650 super but now includes AV1 decoding, so that's decent at least.
The RTX A2000 has an unrestricted number of concurrent encode sessions, while the GTX 1650 Super is restricted to three concurrent encode sessions.

The RTX A2000 has an unrestricted number of concurrent encode sessions, while the GTX 1650 Super is restricted to three concurrent encode sessions.
That's good to know, I was just going off the wiki for the NVenc, as the performance profiles of the two cards should be somewhat similar I thought it was relevant, but knowing the imposed limitations is a good thing.

Sixth Generation
Nvidia updated the NVENC encoder of the GTX 1650 cards in 2020 to also use the Turing engine.[15] The GTX 1650 Super uses the Turing NVENC engine as it is based on the TU116 rather than the TU117 used in the original GTX 1650.[16]
Seventh Generation
Ampere has essentially the same NVENC generation engine as Turing.[17] Only NVDEC got support for AV1 decoding (with film grain).

I've been watching this one for the same reason someone else pointed out - powered off the slot only and should outperform the LP 1650's I have now. My hope is there is a GF variant released. Maybe next year.

I've been watching this one for the same reason someone else pointed out - powered off the slot only and should outperform the LP 1650's I have now. My hope is there is a GF variant released. Maybe next year.
I imagine the yet-to-be-released RTX 3050 will eventually get a HHHL variant or two, though it would be slower than the A2000. Question is how far into 2022 and price/availability.

Anyone know when these are ever coming back, or are they just selling them ALL directly to miners? Totally kicking myself for not rushing to Microcenter (2 hour drive) to pick one up when they actually got some in stock. Looks like most ended up on eBay at $1000. Absolutely zero stock since they(MC) sold what they had. My order thru Lenovo (Dec 10th) got cancelled after a month. So I've since "pre-ordered" another thru ShopBLT, it's pushed out to 3 weeks now. Before that I figured what the hell, I'll get an A4000, that's been pushed back a week for 3 weeks running now. Hopefully it actually ships on the 20th this time, but I'm doubtful.

Anyone know when these are ever coming back, or are they just selling them ALL directly to miners? Totally kicking myself for not rushing to Microcenter (2 hour drive) to pick one up when they actually got some in stock. Looks like most ended up on eBay at $1000. Absolutely zero stock since they(MC) sold what they had. My order thru Lenovo (Dec 10th) got cancelled after a month. So I've since "pre-ordered" another thru ShopBLT, it's pushed out to 3 weeks now. Before that I figured what the hell, I'll get an A4000, that's been pushed back a week for 3 weeks running now. Hopefully it actually ships on the 20th this time, but I'm doubtful.

Yea a4000's at a reasonable price have been hard to get.

I did see this in stock

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...vcnrtxa5000_pb_nvidia_rtx_a5000_graphics.html

It's a whitebox though

Reactions: erek
like this
Yea a4000's at a reasonable price have been hard to get.

I did see this in stock

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...vcnrtxa5000_pb_nvidia_rtx_a5000_graphics.html

It's a whitebox though

Thanks, I had seen that earlier this week. These days it's a great deal, but I was trying to avoid having that kind of money "out" at the moment. I'm about to pull the trigger on a legit seat of SolidWorks + a CAM package (so around $7k or so), plus upgrade my spindle motor on my mill to a servo ($800), which means a might as well upgrade to Mach4($200) w/ a smooth stepper ($200 + new BoB).

SO tempting though.

I am also in line at ShopBLT. I remember the same thing happening when I tried to order an AMD 3300X from them. Ended up cancelling my order months later. Not a problem since they don't charge you in advance.

I'm starting to think I should just buy one at scalped prices because by the time I would actually get one via normal means, I could have mined the difference in price.

Last edited:
For those trying to get the 12gb variant, regardless of price, there is an ebay seller right now with 10+ in stock for a hefty $1000 each. Can't seem to find them anywhere else that is actually shipping. (Link)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
For those trying to get the 12gb variant, regardless of price, there is an ebay seller right now with 10+ in stock for a hefty $1000 each. Can't seem to find them anywhere else that is actually shipping. (Link)
$1K? Yikes. Still, it remains the fastest and most VRAM-endowed low-profile GPU so I guess the price is the price. Potentially still worth it if someone needs a fast-ish GPU and it must be HHHL

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
No idea why miners would go for this thing. It's basically a 1660 Super/Ti post Eth 2.0, and double going to triple the cost of one.

$1K? Yikes. Still, it remains the fastest and most VRAM-endowed low-profile GPU so I guess the price is the price. Potentially still worth it if someone needs a fast-ish GPU and it must be HHHL
I was hoping that the RTX 3050 launch would have featured the same specs as the a2000, but no luck. No announced low profile models either, so this really is the best low profile option out there. No LHR at least to soften the blow I suppose.

I was hoping that the RTX 3050 launch would have featured the same specs as the a2000, but no luck. No announced low profile models either, so this really is the best low profile option out there. No LHR at least to soften the blow I suppose.
I managed to score a half dozen of the 6gb variants for a decent price. Managed to replace all my P1000’s and P620’s so I’m happy there.

I managed to score a half dozen of the 6gb variants for a decent price. Managed to replace all my P1000’s and P620’s so I’m happy there.
Lucky.. I ordered a few from ShopBLT back in November & still waiting.. last update said July of this year.

Thanks, I had seen that earlier this week. These days it's a great deal, but I was trying to avoid having that kind of money "out" at the moment. I'm about to pull the trigger on a legit seat of SolidWorks + a CAM package (so around $7k or so), plus upgrade my spindle motor on my mill to a servo ($800), which means a might as well upgrade to Mach4($200) w/ a smooth stepper ($200 + new BoB).

SO tempting though.

https://www.staples.com/nvidia-rtx-a4000-other-pci-express-4-0-x16-16gb-gddr6-sdram-graphics-card-black-20x24at/product_IM19HQ676?ci_sku=IM19HQ676&KPID=IM19HQ676&adlclid=2b0f18f88df81fae881a7af800737d9e&cid=PS:MS:SBD:pLA:Other&msclkid=2b0f18f88df81fae881a7af800737d9e&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Dynamic Remarketing - Technology&utm_term=2330071297813118&utm_content=Dynamic Remarketing - Technology

Maybe it's in stock? Shows a ship date, so maybe. Still overpriced (even for an a4000)

Thank you, I couldn't believe it. I hit search real quick on that part number - it's an HP card, and a link to Provantage.com came up. They had them in stock as well for $1263, so I made an account and pulled the trigger. Hope I don't regret not going thru Staples...seems way more legit, but $60 is $60. :/

If that ships now I gotta sell some shit. lolz. (5700XT, RTX 3080, etc)

*edit*

ShopBLT got a few of the HP version in as well. Shows 7 in stock at the moment. These things have been unicorns the past couple months. Zero stock anywhere.

Last edited:
Back