RTX 4070 Founders Edition Tear-Down

After that Tear-Down -> Why is it being sold for $600? Looks more like a $499 card, you know the 70 series use to compete with the previous generation top cards at, well less than $400!

I was thinking it looks more like a $150 - $200 card. Looks exactly like those Mini variants OEMs were coming up with to stuff into SFF PCs years ago.

Which when you look at the power and thermals, the cooler is technically overkill. But no where near as egregious as its bigger siblings.

It's only an inch shorter than the 4090.
After that Tear-Down -> Why is it being sold for $600? Looks more like a $499 card, you know the 70 series use to compete with the previous generation top cards at, well less than $400!
1681731015988.png

1681730939917.png

GTX 970 launched at $329 in Sept 2014, which is $417.19 according to the CPI calculator for March 2023. Seems like the card is vastly overpriced for a 70 series card. ;)
Or the GTX 970 was underpriced ;).

It's only an inch shorter than the 4090.

View attachment 564835
View attachment 564834
Die size is way smaller, also power delivery is likely a lot cheaper too. If I had to guess the 4070 is either a wash or cheaper than the 3070 to make because it's so efficient. Inflation aside, wages haven't risen that much so it's up to people to decide if they're willing to pay more. Considering the card is widely available post launch, the answer seems to be no. Plus inflation isn't just "my dollar can buy x amount" most of inflation is due to lack of resiliency in the supply chain. Things will normalize eventually, but I don't know if companies will accept deflation. The auto industry isn't expecting a return to normal until 2025, consequences of shutting everything down.

It was also 33% of the Titan X's price and there was no GTX 970 Ti between it and the 980. So really the 4070 Ti fills its role in the lineup, meaning the 4070 Ti should be 33% of the price of the 4090 which has the Titan X's spot. So really the 4070 should be a price point below the ~ $527 price point that the 4070 Ti should fill. So that $417 price point for the 4070 looks even more correct extrapolating it out.

Reactions: noko
like this
Not at all, Nvidia made a fortune selling them. The 1070, new 16nm node, double the ram sold for $379 and beat the previous top consumer card the 980Ti. Again Nvidia made a fortune. The 4070, 70's name sake fails the previous history or precedent that Nvidia accomplished with their newer cards. The 4070 should be a 4060 class card with 12gb, the 4070Ti and 4070 should have 16gb of ram (the board even has slots for 16gb). Nvidia has gone way beyond inflation. While AMD top sku is at the same price as their previous top sku, the 7900XT I am not sure how that fits in with their lineup from previous generations. The 6800XT still had the same memory bus and VRam of the 6900XTk. Both companies are shooting for higher profit margins it seems beyond what the market can support.

The 4070 reference design cooler is top notch, a premium, adding what another $20 to the card? Calculating chip cost of let say pascal 104 to ada 104, one is not going to get over $200 more for the MSRP. Is it the RT tax + AI tax + extra hardware that may not even be used and sit idle (maybe not the best decision)? When the market is slow, it would be normal to reduce your profit margins to maintain manufacturing ability, keep your market share and work through it. Nvidia is killing their own market, restricting GPUs by allocating them for mining, cutting back on the actual card hardware resources, limiting them for future use (Mining cards can't be used for gaming, gaming cards limited in mining, less Vram, not providing latest display outputs, limiting software to only their cards but not even allowing previous generations to use it). I hope people are actually waking up to this crap.

Back