RTX 3xxx performance speculation

Better hope like hell RDNA2 doesn't suck, $2000 for a 3090 is absolutely insane... I'm not shocked but I am disappointed.

If it's 2k, I'll wait to buy and see what AMD has to offer. That's ridiculous. I'm looking at monitors and would skip gsync monitors as well.

If the price is reasonable, I won't wait. 2080ti prices are what I'm thinking of.

Well, if I were to say anything about performance for the RTX 30 series you first have to go back to the RTX 20 series and remember each card's role:

2080Ti: Best 4K/60FPS resolution card in it's class for many 4K detail settings.
2080/2080 Super: 2nd best 4K/60FPS card in its class and overkill for 1440p Ultra settings with AA turned on for most games.
2070/2070 Super: Best 1440p card on the market which was considered overkill for 1080p Ultra settings with AA turned on.
2060/2060 Super: Best 1080p card but could also play a lot of games at 1440p with most everything turned on.

So if that was the RTX 20 series, I think the RTX 30 series will be a rather large stepup from the 20 series and their roles will play out like this:

3090: Best 4K Ultra settings at 60+FPS card in its class and will start pushing 8K hard.
3080: Can also give great numbers for 4K Ultra settings at 60FPS but can't push 8K as hard
3070: Can do 4K High settings at 60FPS but is overkill for 1440p any settings
3060: The new 1440p champion and very overkill for 1080p.

Of course, this is all just my opinion...I could be wrong. Out!

Yes you could be wrong. The roles of the 30 series will fill the same roles as the 20 series. You see, as performance improves, game demands increase at a near parallel state so you are mostly stuck at the same speed. Just look at the last few AAA games. Many had even the 2080ti struggling to hit 60 fps.

It will hard for even high end PCs to seperate themselves from console performance due to to this underhanded (tin foil hat) performance creep while consoles continue to get great optimization.

8k gaming (33 million pixels) is still a ways away and would be surprised if we saw 5k (1440p x4 at 15MP) being pushed for PCs first.

Early leaks show the 3090 getting 2x performance of the 1080ti. That said, a 3090 will run a 2021 game maybe 1.2x faster than a 1080ti runs a 2017 game. Its just the nature of the beast.

If it's 2k, I'll wait to buy and see what AMD has to offer. That's ridiculous. I'm looking at monitors and would skip gsync monitors as well.

If the price is reasonable, I won't wait. 2080ti prices are what I'm thinking of.

Stop and read guys. It was $2k for the Neptune and $1700 for the Vulcan or whatever.

Rumor: GeForce RTX 3090 Pricing to Arrive Around the $2,000 Mark

If this is true, is this card DOA even if it's a 50 % bump in performance? Or are there enough people willing to drop that kind of cash? I think if it's only 30 % it's DOA. That is of course, this rumor is true, knowing Nvidia, I don't doubt it.
That would be a tough pill to swallow. I was expecting $1200-1500. $2k is shocking.

The performance had better be damn impressive at that price point.

So a 500 dollar increase is reasonable?

No and I am guessing the price increase comes mostly from the bleeding edge 21 GB/s memory, granted rumors are true.

Not being able to run 512 bit using slower, cheaper memory looks to be the death of GDDR type memory and may indicate Nvidias desperation to beat Big Navi.

No and I am guessing the price increase comes mostly from the bleeding edge 21 GB/s memory, granted rumors are true.

Not being able to run 512 bit using slower, cheaper memory looks to be the death of GDDR type memory and may indicate Nvidias desperation to beat Big Navi.

In some ways I think going with HBM2 would of been better. Not because of cost savings, but it could of lowered power a little bit and possibly kept the 1TB bandwidth. Either way the GPU is going to be a beast.

With coronavirus, new consoles, and AMD more competitive than ever, I don't know how Nvidia could inflate their prices again... and expect consumers to tolerate it.

If they gimp vram and raise prices, all is lost. I don't want to wait 3 months or whatever for Big Navi but I will if Nvidia pushes my buttons.
I can't even imagine what Ampere brings to the table to justify that kind of nonsense.

With coronavirus, new consoles, and AMD more competitive than ever, I don't know how Nvidia could inflate their prices again... and expect consumers to tolerate it.

If they gimp vram and raise prices, all is lost. I don't want to wait 3 months or whatever for Big Navi but I will if Nvidia pushes my buttons.
I can't even imagine what Ampere brings to the table to justify that kind of nonsense.
I think this launch will be about determining what the market will bare above the 70 and 60 series. The 60 series will probably hit $400, 70 $650 and the 80 will be $849+. They will wait until AMD presents a product for customers to decide if they did over reach if sales don't drop or slow they won't adjust, if it hits below a certain number then they will adjust. Until then they will enjoy the profits from people that purchased early at the higher amount and then sales will increase again. The market has proven they prefer Nvidia's products.

I plan on waiting until AMD releases and there is direct comparisons available to see what is a better purchase for me, if AMD provides what I'm looking for so be it. I believe Nvidia believes they will easily bounce back on consumer sales if they under estimated what RDNA2 provide worse case so they will just push it.

Last edited:
The easiest way to keep track of the 30 series to take the the 10 series and double performance while adding RTX.

The 3080 is the exception as it is now 320 bit and bridges the gap to the 3080ti better. ...er 3090 whatever

so 2 versions of the 3090?...$1800 for the 3090 would not surprise me...I'm just hoping for a $700 3080

Let's pump the rumor brakes on the pricing for q moment. TPU would make even WCCFtech feel awkward with this one. It was a very rough translation and the source document said "30 series flagship" which could really be the Ampere and NOT the 3090. So that could be $1700-$2000 for the full fledged 24 GB prosumer card.

Let's pump the rumor brakes on the pricing for q moment. TPU would make even WCCFtech feel awkward with this one. It was a very rough translation and the source document said "30 series flagship" which could really be the Ampere and NOT the 3090. So that could be $1700-$2000 for the full fledged 24 GB prosumer card.

possibly...I can't see Nvidia actually charging $2000 for a gaming card...that would be almost double the price of a 2080ti...only thing it would do is get more people to buy a 3080/3070 (or even Big Navi)...Ampere should be amazing but I'm actually more curious about Big Navi's RT implementation and how it compares to Nvidia

possibly...I can't see Nvidia actually charging $2000 for a gaming card...that would be almost double the price of a 2080ti...only thing it would do is get more people to buy a 3080/3070 (or even Big Navi)...Ampere should be amazing but I'm actually more curious about Big Navi's RT implementation and how it compares to Nvidia

I can see them charging $2,000 for the 24gb card and it selling like hot cakes no problem.

48cx, Reverb G2, MSFS2020......all NEED MOAR POWAAAHHH

Last edited:
$2000 for 3080Ti ain't happening.
Unless it's actually a Titan card. Or it's a 24gb 3080Ti.

I don't buy the rumors about Intel being competitive in 2021.
And I don't think AMD will be competitive with high-end Nvidia.
But they are there in the shadows. Some of us keep the competition in mind and we're the ones buying the GPUs.
However, I still hold to my argument that next-gen consoles are the main reason why it would be risky to ask too much for a high-end GPU. They offer Ray Tracing and a ton of power.

If by any chance 2080Ti upgrade turns out to be true and it costs $2000, then I'm selling my desktop and buying a fairly powerful laptop with say a 2070S and a PS5.
But I'll be okay if 24gb 3080Ti costs $2000 and 12gb 3080Ti costs $1200. As long as performance increase isn't massive.

You're damn right I'll compare 2080, 2080Ti, 3080, 3080Ti and this supposed $2000 GPU. And if something smells fishy except a minor bump in price, I'll just skip yet another generation. Some of my favorite games I played are on the PS4. Battle Chasers, Until Dawn, The Last of Us, Diablo 3, and Rocket League (yes, both of those PC games played better on PS4).

I think this launch will be about determining what the market will bare above the 70 and 60 series. The 60 series will probably hit $400, 70 $650 and the 80 will be $849+. They will wait until AMD presents a product for customers to decide if they did over reach if sales don't drop or slow they won't adjust, if it hits below a certain number then they will adjust. Until then they will enjoy the profits from people that purchased early at the higher amount and then sales will increase again. The market has proven they prefer Nvidia's products.

I plan on waiting until AMD releases and there is direct comparisons available to see what is a better purchase for me, if AMD provides what I'm looking for so be it. I believe Nvidia believes they will easily bounce back on consumer sales if they under estimated what RDNA2 provide worse case so they will just push it.

The is exactly what nVidia will do. Their bet is the majority of the segment that pays $1200 for a top-end card, will pay $1800-2000 -- and that this segment are always early adopters. They figure if they price high between now and RDNA 2, they'll still capture sales at $2000. Then, when RDNA 2 comes in, they can either choose to keep prices as is, or lower prices (or lower AND release Ti/Super versions).

One thing is sure, Ampere's release prices are going to be vomit inducing.

Would you pay $2000 for this 3090?

eaa5ce4a2f403fb6.png

Would you pay $2000 for this 3090?

I’d bitch about it but yeah. I kept my 1080ti for 3+ years, I’ve got at least 2 years until I can get a marked screen upgrade so I’m gonna be surprised if I don’t have this card for similar amounts of time.

I have wildly different price sensitivities from most though I guess. For me 100% jump is a no brainer and at 3840x1600 or 4K depending on screen, you need all you can get.

Plus I’m consciously buying it with money from selling my nvidia shares (again) so it’s all a virtuous circle. Jensen’s been very good to me over the years.

Where did this Graphic Perf-Rating come from?

Can't tell. I found it on Overclock. No source. Take it with a grain of salt.
If that 3090 turns out to be $2000 and 3080 $1200, it's a hard pass. If that 3090 turns out to be $1200-1400, I'm buying it (but only custom).

If that 3090 turns out to be $2000 and 3080 $1200, it's a hard pass. If that 3090 turns out to be $1200-1400, I'm buying it (but only custom).

IIRC, Source is Chinese "Chiphell" forum post.

I find even $1200 is a bridge too far.
Perhaps they cant make enough to cope with the higher sales with decent prices, thats the only way I can think well of them if the price is higher.
But I still wont bite.
I paid £700 for my 1080ti, 2 gens later the equiv card could become £1.2K to £2K.
To keep up means paying that or higher every 2 years.
Pricing gone mad, no matter the reasoning.

Perhaps they cant make enough to cope with the higher sales with decent prices, thats the only way I can think well of them if the price is higher.
But I still wont bite.
I paid £700 for my 1080ti, 2 gens later the equiv card could become £1.2K to £2K.

Yeah it's lame. But before I used to upgrade every gen. Now I'm doing it every second gen. If Nvidia doesn't mess up the pricing again.
I was expecting more performance from 3090/3080Ti, it's a bit disappointing if true. It's not 50% faster than 2080Ti.

2K for the 3090? NOPE

1K and up was too much for me to justify for my needs last round and its still is. I passed my 1440p 144hz monitor to my Son and have been using my work monitor (4k LG 60hz) on a 2080 super in the meantime. I would rather drop $500 on another fast 1440p monitor and roll what I have.

Last edited:
But I still wont bite.
If they sell out every card they can product at $1200 then what sense does it make to lower the price? They stopped productions of higher end 28xx cards and you see the supply chain dried up real quick.

If they sell out every card they can product at $1200 then what sense does it make to lower the price? They stopped productions of higher end 28xx cards and you see the supply chain dried up real quick.

Totally agree-- At some point people theoretically will say the price is too high and actually delay purchasing instead of complaining about it! They have the goods. They are in the driver's seat and will price as high as possible. No reason not to from a business standpoint.

I'm confused...is the 3090 supposed to be the new 2080ti = 3080ti or is it the new Ampere Titan? Or will there be a separate Titan and a 3080ti in between the 3080 and 3090?

Last edited:
I'm confused...is the 3090 supposed to be the new 2080ti = 3080ti or is it the new Ampere Titan? Or will there be a separate Titan and a 3080ti in between the 3080 and 3090?

It's not hard. 3090 is the Uber Flagship gaming card.

Titan > 3090 > 3080 Ti.

But Titan RTX wasn't considered a gaming card anymore...

Current thinking is the top-end card will be named either 3090 OR 3080 Ti. I tend to think the top-end i.e. 2080 Ti replacement will be called the 3090 to differentiate the model from others and free up the 3080 Ti designation for later. Short answer is we'll see in Sept. Who knows, we may ultimately get a Titan, 3090, a 3080, a 3080 Ti and a 3080 Ultra the way nVidia has been trying to segment their models.

Seems to me that people here seem to be underestimating AMD. Under Raja they obviously seriously underperformed but if you look at the consoles with what Sony has presented and what MS released at Hot Chips it is becoming clear that Bog Navi will be around 40% faster than 2080 TI. At a competitive price AMD can totally disrupt the market. It is why Nvidia is holding back the 3080 TI and Titan variants

Back