RTX 2080 TI vs GTX 1080 TI Benchmark

I really cant wait to see HardOCP's review of these cards, Im really sick of all the bullshit propaganda.

Ditto. I mean, if the 2080 ti is an actual 75% increase at the same settings at 4k over the 1080ti, I'm in.

I'm just not going to be a childish moron and pre-order.

My Pascal Titan drops below 60fps in most new titles at 4k ultra settings. I'd just like that to stop.

Ditto. I mean, if the 2080 ti is an actual 75% increase at the same settings at 4k over the 1080ti, I'm in.

My Pascal Titan drops below 60fps in most new titles at 4k ultra settings. I'd just like that to stop.
I hear you. I'm really feeling the next threshold up for me is going to be AAA releases maxed at 4k @60 fps. In the meantime, I'm running 2k at ~100 fps

When various leaked scores/benches started coming out a couple of weeks ago I immediately reran timespy on both rigs. My score for the Strix OC'd 1080TI was nearly identical to the 2080. Leaked FPS benches have been the same for things like WItcher 3 and ROTR. Score for my G1 SLI 1080's nearly the same for the 2080TI, and again fps benches nearly the same. For those of us who were able to go high end with the last Pascals so far it's marginal and I totally agree that I can't wait until [H]ard's real reviews.

I did see someone's post somewhere in a thread that likened the 2080TI to a Titan V both in terms of price and generational improvement and it was really just a name swap. Kind of makes you wonder what the new Titan will be priced at(quadro's?) They also added that the 2080 is really the match for the 1080TI. I tend to agree at this point.

edit: Just adding that in Shadow of Tomb Raider I'm again seeing nearly the same numbers as the 2080TI. I've manually set all to highest settings except for AA is SMAA and motion blur/lens flares off. Mostly 60fps with occasional dips in the low/mid 50's at 4k/HDR with the 1080 SLI rig.

Last edited:

Im sure these cards will be faster, and especially benefit those that game at 4K, but a number of people who dont game at 4k probably wont spend the kind of money Nvidia is asking for these cards. Not for just being faster. The main selling point of the RTX cards was ray tracing, and from what we know so far only one card can handle ray tracing at decent FPS and that is the 2080TI, but only at 1920x1080 1080P and for $1200. It will be interesting what the 2080RTX and the 2070RTX can do in terms of ray tracing, especially the 2070RTX. Probably around $700 for the 2070RTX and possibly not even be able to handle ray tracing at all. It will be very interesting when HardOCP puts these cards through the ringer and we find out for sure how much is fact and how much is bullshit.

I have no idea what settings the guy in the video used to get the fps numbers for BF1/TW3 and I have no idea if the guy faked it by tweaking the settings for each card or something. That's why I said "Using the numbers available in the video..."

HardOCP's own testing shows that the 1080 Ti averages 48fps @4k with Ultra settings and HairWorks (HairWorks AA turned off). I certainly trust [H]'s testing over some benchmarks at VideoCardz.

I have no problem with HardOCP figures, I have a problem with you using the figures from the video as proof that the performance difference between the 1080ti and 2080ti will be as big as the performance difference between the 980ti and the 1080ti.

And the numbers over at Videocardz aren't from them, they are directly from Nvidia.

I have no problem with HardOCP figures, I have a problem with you using the figures from the video as proof that the performance difference between the 1080ti and 2080ti will be as big as the performance difference between the 980ti and the 1080ti.

And the numbers over at Videocardz aren't from them, they are directly from Nvidia.

The fuck? I never claimed the video was proof of anything, except that people suck at math. Until real world benchmarks are released or I have my 2080 Ti in hand, I'm not believing any benchmarks that are posted.
I said: "Using the numbers available in the video for the Witcher 3 and Battlefield 1..."

This is literally a thread about the video posted in the OP... Why would I not use that video as a source. 0_o

It was claimed that the video in this thread shows that the performance increase from 1080 Ti to the 2080 Ti is nowhere near what it has been in previous generations. I proved that wrong with basic math. That's all. No further agenda.

Whether or not the 2080 Ti gives anywhere near the performance increase over the 1080 Ti as the video shows remains to be seen obviously.

The same people who made these fake videos also did a 1080Ti where the 1080Ti was at 101fps in Wolfenstien@4K. Now versus the 2080Ti, the 1080Ti is only pushing 71fps. Unless the new driver dropped 1080Ti performance, which would be quite fishy, I am going to go with Full of Shit for $500 Alex!

Its seems someone on Youtube pointed this fact out and they pulled that 1080Ti performance video. :ROFLMAO:

The fuck? I never claimed the video was proof of anything, except that people suck at math. Until real world benchmarks are released or I have my 2080 Ti in hand, I'm not believing any benchmarks that are posted.
I said: "Using the numbers available in the video for the Witcher 3 and Battlefield 1..."

This is literally a thread about the video posted in the OP... Why would I not use that video as a source. 0_o

It was claimed that the video in this thread shows that the performance increase from 1080 Ti to the 2080 Ti is nowhere near what it has been in previous generations. I proved that wrong with basic math. That's all. No further agenda.

Whether or not the 2080 Ti gives anywhere near the performance increase over the 1080 Ti as the video shows remains to be seen obviously.

Then, if that's the case, It's my bad. Sorry.

Don't believe there will be a titan in this generation.

They may very well let Titan V (Volta) hold that spot...a $3000 Titan makes the artificially inflated $1200 2080Ti seem palatable, after all...

I play on 4K DCI much higher then4k UHD
DCI 4K (4096x2160) is a whole 6.7% more pixels than UHD 4K (3840x2160). Much higher, indeed.
Witcher 3:
2080 Ti - 77fps
1080 Ti - 44fps
75% increase (numbers from OP @4k)

1080 Ti - 97.4fps
980 Ti - 56.5fps
72% increase (numbers from [H] @2k)

1080 - 75.4fps
980 Ti - 56.5fps
33% increase (numbers from [H] @2k)

Battlefield 1:
2080 Ti - 87fps
1080 Ti - 59fps
47% increase (numbers from OP)

1080 Ti - 112fps
980 Ti - 75fps
49% increase (numbers from [H] @2k)

1080 - 97.8fps
980 Ti - 75fps
30% increase (numbers from [H] @2k)

Using the numbers available in the video for the Witcher 3 and Battlefield 1 (old benchmarks not available for SotTR), the 2080 Ti looks to be a 75% improvement over the 1080 Ti in the Witcher 3 and a 47% improvement in Battlefield 1.
Using numbers from HardOCP, the 1080 Ti is a 72% improvement over the 980 Ti in the Witcher 3 and a 49% improvement in Battlefield 1.
Also using the numbers from HardOCP, the 1080 is a 33% increase over the 980Ti in the Witcher 3 and a 30% improvement in Battlefield 1.

According to the available benchmarks, the 2080 Ti looks to be almost exactly the same improvement over the 1080Ti as the 1080 Ti was over the 980 Ti.

TL;DR
Your math is shit.

And how do you figure that?
Was going to like your post until I clicked the links and saw you are using "2K" to reference 2560x1440 instead of 1920x1080.

DCI 4K (4096x2160) is a whole 6.7% more pixels than UHD 4K (3840x2160). Much higher, indeed.

Was going to like your post until I clicked the links and saw you are using "2K" to reference 2560x1440 instead of 1920x1080.

Huh, yea... Not sure why I put typed 2k instead of 1440. Going too fast I guess.

For myself I would not want to go back to gaming on either a smaller screen or smaller resolution.

I very much liked 5760*1080 but so many things hickiped and glitched. Maybe I'll try Dragon age again (didnt play well with nv surround).

No regrets in nabbing that 1080 the other week.

I don't know man. I grabbed one a couple of weeks ago and I'm thinking that I ought to return it while I can and drop the extra $200 for a 1080ti. I mean the standard 1080 is doing just fine for my 1440p League of Legends and Hollow Knight playing but with the TI I might not get the upgrade itch as quickly when a game I do want comes out that causes the 1080 to struggle.

I don't know man. I grabbed one a couple of weeks ago and I'm thinking that I ought to return it while I can and drop the extra $200 for a 1080ti. I mean the standard 1080 is doing just fine for my 1440p League of Legends and Hollow Knight playing but with the TI I might not get the upgrade itch as quickly when a game I do want comes out that causes the 1080 to struggle.

I could have spent more on the 1080ti, but I'm fine. I figure the next round of RTX cards is a year away. Hopefully, they'll lower the price. If not...well, then I betted on the wrong horse.

I'm getting solid performance at 1440p currently. And, most of the features that are going to kill my FPS won't be supported by either my current card or the 1080ti. I figure putting myself in the realm of a 1080 for cheap while the RTX stuff figures itself out (possibly with a competitive AMD card in the future) I could buy myself time while not being too invested.

Having just dumped my 1080, and jumping on the early adopting bandwagon I can safely say there wasn't a single problem with my 1080 at 1440p. It was working very well.

If I was going to pick a card to keep for the long haul the 1080 would have been a no-brainer.

I sell and switch cards every year or less, but if I was going to hold, yes the 1080 is a perfect place to be on price/performance for another year.

If you buy a 1080Ti, but you don't really "need" it right now, you WILL take a $300 depreciation hit on it over the next 12 months or so. The moment the next gen of Turing cards hit, you'll want one. If you are talking about being EFFICIENT on spending money for high end graphics just sit on that 1080 until next gen and sell it right before it happens.

Sure it is.

It's well known that many 2080 ti cards have been in the wild for weeks. The numbers we are seeing are from these cards. No doubt there were double and triple digit cards out there. Common sense would tell anyone that if the numbers were horrible we would have heard about these horrible numbers.

In fact, reviewers got their cards a week ago. Embargo ends tomorrow or wed when we will start seeing reviews I think. So in a day or two.

Also, I'm gonna call it the way I see it.

Most people that have been negative about these numbers are people that are salty and sour because they don't support a mindset / lifestyle that allows then to save / set aside money to buy one. Many of you out there would have bought one had you had the money. End of story.

No. Your assumption that I can't pay for the card is utter BS. I could buy SEVERAL if I had the desire. I think the negativity is warranted, and I believe you will see that reflected when we see honest reviews. Sure, SELECT TITLES will probably have great performance gains over their older cards, but I am guessing we will see MANY more titles with mediocre improvements...you know, the VAST MAJORITY of games that haven't been optimized (and WONT be optimized) for the new architecture.

No. Your assumption that I can't pay for the card is utter BS. I could buy SEVERAL if I had the desire. I think the negativity is warranted, and I believe you will see that reflected when we see honest reviews. Sure, SELECT TITLES will probably have great performance gains over their older cards, but I am guessing we will see MANY more titles with mediocre improvements...you know, the VAST MAJORITY of games that haven't been optimized (and WONT be optimized) for the new architecture.
When they have no argument left, they pull the old you can't afford it card. I see nothing wrong with waiting to see the actual benchmarks no matter how much money you have.

The 2080 Ti is still going to be the fastest card period especially at 4k and is going to kick the 1080 Ti in the nuts plenty of times.

hey i'm looking fior 2080ti's at the 1000 dollar msrp.

anyone see it?

The guys down at Microcenter told me that $1,100 price is the premium founders edition pricing, all cards, aftermarket coolers or not. Then, after release, the pricing is supposed to go down. Only, it won't because video cards and all DIY pc parts will have their prices raised due to the new tariffs that are in place now. So 10% or more likely, 15% additional cost now. so, $1000 + 10% = ... well, you're back at $1100 dollars.

Initial pricing is only an additional $100 dollars.

It would be cool to see cheaper prices but, everyone is sold out, so, the demand is there. Tariffs won't make any of this any easier. I think it would be pretty sketch to get one of these for $999 but never say never.

If I were you I would just look for a used one. Lot of kids are getting these but they will have bills come up and have to dump them pretty quickly. I'm assuming it will be common to find a 2nd hand hardly used 2080 ti within a week or two of release. $1300 is a lot of money for most guys. There will def be a few of those guys in your area doing this. So just be ready. I think you could get one for $900 to $950 cash. That seems fair and likely to me.

Also, we don't have to worry about cards getting chewed thru with mining anymore.

The 2080 Ti is still going to be the fastest card period especially at 4k and is going to kick the 1080 Ti in the nuts plenty of times.

For double the price, it damn well should! Still not a good value for the expected 20% increase in performance...even at 50% it's a bad deal.

Numbers? I did not hear it will be after than 1080ti sli. That would be pretty fast.

The numbers will come. I pre-ordered two 2080 Ti FEs from nVidia on launch day. I just wanted an upgrade over the 1080 Tis and this is all there is.

When was the last time Nvidia disappointed? (Except the pricing....)

I don't expect anything less than 40% increase in performance over a 1080 Ti the majority of the time.

I game at 1440p with my 1070. If I can get a 2080 for a good price or the 2070 does great at 1440p I'll go with that. Or if AMD comes out with a top of the line competitor that is better I will be all over that.

You could get a 1080ti for cheaper than the 2080 and have roughly the same performance at 1440p, for hundreds less.

You could get a 1080ti for cheaper than the 2080 and have roughly the same performance at 1440p, for hundreds less.

But... but... ok you have a valid point. I'm also waiting to see how games like Cyberpunk 2077 and such take advantage of the tech once it can be used in windows 10 broadly.

Back