RPG Roguelite Fan Thread

mr_zen256

2[H]4U
I have discovered that RPG roguelites are growing to be one of my favorite genres in the current gaming market so figured I'd create a thread dedicated to compiling a list of some of my top picks and collect some recommendations from other fans of the genre.

Roguelite is vs Roguelike: Roguelike games are known for their permadeath and procedural generation, while roguelites add meta-progression elements where you can unlock permanent upgrades or persistent progression between runs.

There are many subgenres of roguelites but specifically I have gravitated toward RPG roguelites. There are many subgenres of RPG roguelites: Deckbuilders, dungeon crawlers, turn-based, auto-battlers, vampire survivor etc..

Some examples of well known roguelites are Hades, Slay the Spire, Monster Train, FTL: Faster Than Light.

Here are some of my recent discoveries to get the ball rolling:

Across the Obelisk - Turn-based, deckbuilder

Corpse Keeper - Fighting, action-strategy, dungeon crawler

Death Must Die - Vampire survivor, APRG, Diablo-like

Deepest Chamber: Resurrection - First person, turn-based, dungeon crawler, deckbuilder

Gordian Quest - Deckbuilder, turn-based, strategic combat

Hadean Tactics - Deckbuilder, strategy, autobattler

Halls of Torment - Vampire survivor, action RPG, diablo-like

Inkbound - Turn-based, tactical action (Monster Train developers)

Knock on the Coffin Lid - Strategy, card battler

Rogue: Genesia - Action, vampire survivor-like

Soulstone Survivors - Action, vampire survivor-like

Trigon: Space Story - FTL-like

Last edited:
Some of my favorites that weren't listed:

Hades - Action

Against the Storm - City-builder, Survival <--- This is my go to when I just want to relax

Brotato - Action, Vampire Survivor-like <--- Best of the VS-likes

Voidigo - Action, Vampire Survivor-like

Returnal - Action, 3rd Person Shooter, Modern graphics/tech

Warm Snow - Action, Hades-like

Ring of Pain - Card game, Dungeon Crawler

Trials of Fire - Card game, Hex-grid Tactics

Neon Abyss - Action, Side-scroller, BoI style upgrades and synergies

Last edited:
Some of my favorites that weren't listed:

Hades - Action

Against the Storm - City-builder, Survival <--- This is my go to when I just want to relax

Brotato - Action, Vampire Survivor-like <--- Best of the VS-likes

Voidigo - Action, Vampire Survivor-like

Returnal - Action, 3rd Person Shooter, Modern graphics/tech

Warm Snow - Action, Hades-like

Ring of Pain - Card game, Dungeon Crawler

Trials of Fire - Card game, Hex-grid Tactics

Neon Abyss - Action, Side-scroller, BoI style upgrades and synergies

Thanks for the recommendations! Definitely some on that list I'd like to check out.

EDIT: Against the Storm and Trials of Fire both look really interesting!

Last edited:
Anyone tried Inkbound? I liked Monster Train and generally like rpg roguelites.

Yes! Monster train is my all time favorite slay the spire like game. Inkbound is fun but needs some time to bake. It just lacks polishing, if they put the work in it'll be good.

Rouge Genesia is a total rip of Vampire Survivor that looks way better... Not sure what to think of this!

Rouge Genesia is a total rip of Vampire Survivor that looks way better... Not sure what to think of this!
Uhhh SmashTV 1990?

Vampire Survivors was actually largely based on a mobile game called Magic Survival I believe, they certainly didn't create the concept, they just made a killer game with the idea.

Uhhh SmashTV 1990?

Vampire Survivors was actually largely based on a mobile game called Magic Survival I believe, they certainly didn't create the concept, they just made a killer game with the idea.
It is def not like Smash TV although I enjoy this game.

Yup, Inkbound is one included in the original post. It's still in early access but it already has a decent amount of content and there is plenty of fun to be had in its current state. I spent a fairly large chunk of time with it last weekend and had a good time. And that was with only one of several characters / gameplay styles available.

Depends on your perspective. You can call it a "total rip" or "heavily inspired" 😉

I mean realistically aren't most games heavily inspired from other games?

I'm a big fan of Rift Wizard. I think it's a roguelike, rather than a roguelite. To me the difference seems arbitrary, because there are games such as Noita, where you can achieve meta-progress but it's not something that most players would experience. On that note, I think Noita is pretty great, too. Both of these I'd say are some of the best indie games I've played.

Hades & Dead Cells are good. I recommend them.
Definitely the best of the best in the genre.

I'll add some of my other favorites (Action Roguelite mostly):
Astral Ascent
BlazBlue Entropy Effect
Curse of the Dead Gods
Death Road to Canada
Rogue Legacy 1 and 2

Back