Router IP address keeps changing

Jhonyb

Weaksauce
Hello

I have a Micronet SP3352 Broadlink ADSL Ethernet Router and i have a problem since i remember i bought the thing is i could solve it now i can't.
So to use programs like emule\utorrent i need to Port Forward the ports so that i don't get behind a firewall. So i go to CMD and i type IPCONFIG i get the ip address (192.168.8.2) so i put the ports and the ip address and i save and re-start all is good for 2 min or so, bc then my router by himself re starts and changes the ip address to 192.168.8.3 or 192.168.8.5 and i get stuck behind the firewall again... and nomatter how many times i change it, it changes back again on its own...

ANyone please help me to solve this it's getting annoying

thx

Sounds like its your ip is changing via DHCP, you just need to stick in a static reservation or just set it manually from your pc.

Configure a static IP on your PC that is outside your DHCP range. If your DHCP range is 192.168.8.1-192.168.8.100, make your PC 192.168.8.101.

If your router is crashing every time you run bit torrent, you may need to consider replacing your router or seeing if you can change timeout values for connections in your existing router.

Hello again...

So i went to "My network places" clicked properties and appeared "network connections" on that screen i have "Local Area Connection" and "1394 Connection"

If i use your guidelines puting the ip address and the dns server on the "local area connection" my internet stops working, if i put them in the "1394 connection" nothing happens and im still behind a firewall.
So something must be wrong here...

1 - go to Start > Run > type in CMD > type in ipconfig /all
2 - jot down the IP address, DNS servers, Gateway, Subnet
3 - Go to Control Panel > Network Connection > Right click on Local Area Connection and go to properties.
4 - Double click on TCP/IP
5 - Click in Use the following IP Address.
6 - Set an IP address. If your current address is 192.168.8.5, you can use that or you can make it something like 192.168.8.100
7 - Subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 but you should have jotted it down when we ran step 1 or 2
8 - Default gateway, enter that in from step 1/2, should be 192.168.8.1
9 - Click on Use the following DNS
10 - you should have one being 192.168.8.1 (or whatever the gateway is), and mite have anohter one listed, but this was from step 2/3.

Should be good now. Now you have a static ip, and can foward the ports and not worry about changing.

We can do a quick test by going to Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig. Make sure you are given the information you set it as. Then still in command prompt, try ping 192.168.8.1 or ping whateverthegatewaywas (enter that value). If you get response back you are comunicating with the router. Try ping www.google.com

DONE!

ty for the reply...

Didn't work like you said, but some other guy helped in the forums with this:

The connection you are meant to be using is "local area connection"

ip:192.168.8.2
subnet:255.255.255.0
Gateway:192.168.8.1
DNS:208.67.220.220
(try the above dns instead)

And with that DNS worked, can anyone explain why ?

Your router has something in the DNS setup incorrectly, or is passing an external DNS in the DHCP, but is not configured with a DNS itself.

If you dig around on your router, and fill in the DNS for the local router and it would work again, however, there really isn't any need to proxy DNS to your router. I'd leave your static DNS entries.

ty for the reply...

Didn't work like you said, but some other guy helped in the forums with this:

The connection you are meant to be using is "local area connection"

ip:192.168.8.2
subnet:255.255.255.0
Gateway:192.168.8.1
DNS:208.67.220.220
(try the above dns instead)

And with that DNS worked, can anyone explain why ?

That DNS is the address for one of the OpenDNS servers. You are free to use it, but it is not your ISP's DNS server.

http://www.opendns.com

Back