Router help!

Homer

Limp Gawd
I have a belkin 802.11b router. I am (once again) trying to run servers and stuff off of my computer. The problem is, no matter what I do, I cannot get passed the firewall or whatever of the router. I even put my computer in the dmz, and I still cannot get a server to run properly. They run fine if I disconnect the router, and I just directly connect to the dsl modem. What gives? any one know what I could do to make this work?

There are no settings that you can change in the router config? Maybe you are closing ports that you need.

there are port forwarding settings, along with a dmz setting to bypass all of it. None of those work at all. I have tried all the settings I could change.

What services are you trying to connect to from the internet? You need to have the correct ports open/forwarded to the LAN IP of your "server".

When you forward ports on a router, you should make your "server" have a static LAN IP address. Here's a quick article on helping you setup static LAN IPs.
http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=177

Don't DMZ you computer, man...bad idea, it fully opens all 65,000 plus thousand ports which NAT normally keeps shut. These days, with all the worms/trojans/retarded hacker kiddies, it's a matter of seconds...SECONDS...that your computer is under attack. If any computers I was responsible for were hung out in the DMZ, I'd have to format it and reinstall for peace of mind.

Find out what services you need to have made public...and open/forward the ports necessary for that services only....nothing else.

And from the outside, you're connecting to the WAN IP of your router, right? Not trying to connect to the LAN IP of your server?

basically just trying to run game servers and ventrillo servers. I can run them fine, but other people can never connect (unless your on my lan), and they never show up in server lists. Even if I forward the correct ports. The only way I can get them to work is to not use the router. maybe I have a setting messed up and thats why no other settings work right?

YeOldeStonecat said:
What services are you trying to connect to from the internet? You need to have the correct ports open/forwarded to the LAN IP of your "server".

When you forward ports on a router, you should make your "server" have a static LAN IP address. Here's a quick article on helping you setup static LAN IPs.
http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=177

Don't DMZ you computer, man...bad idea, it fully opens all 65,000 plus thousand ports which NAT normally keeps shut. These days, with all the worms/trojans/retarded hacker kiddies, it's a matter of seconds...SECONDS...that your computer is under attack. If any computers I was responsible for were hung out in the DMZ, I'd have to format it and reinstall for peace of mind.

Find out what services you need to have made public...and open/forward the ports necessary for that services only....nothing else.

And from the outside, you're connecting to the WAN IP of your router, right? Not trying to connect to the LAN IP of your server?

'Cat....
That router might not have enough memory to store more than a handfull of port forwarding rules. I had a motorola that only let me store 8 single port rules.....It wasn't even enough for steam and cs:s :(

And the DMZ.....
It probably doesn't work on that router either.....at least mine didn't.

Bottom line is that he needs a GOOD router or to build a smoothwall/m0n0wall/ipcop/etc box.

Also....his DSL modem might have a built in router that isn't playing nice with his belkin.

Homer, check out your modem's specs....if it has builtin DHCP then it is also a router and you need to do some work getting it disabled, run it in bridged ethernet mode, so that the belkin won't be interfered with.

Good luck!

Well....a few things to look at, and try.
Latest firmware on the router
Reset router to factory default settings....and start over. Just make sure you document any authentication settings that you did to connect to your ISP..such as know your PPPoE user/pass for DSL, or if you did MAC cloning depending on your cable type, etc.
Start over with your port forwarding, make sure your "server" is setup correctly with a fixed LAN IP address.

Are there any 3rd party software firewalls on the server?

What games are you running? Perhaps you don't have ALL the ports necessary...can people connect to your game server directly, by plugging in the WAN IP that your router obtains? For some games to heartbeat/broadcast to the master servers...sometimes there are other ports needed, and it can take a while.

Yeah Rodsfree might have a point here...some ISPs are shipping broadband modems which have a built in 1 port router..and are already doing NAT.

What is the WAN IP that your Belkin router states it is getting? You only need to post the first 2x octects here.

Well, I know for sure its not any firewall program on my pc. I tried after I did a reformat. Also, obviously I know its not working and not because I have ports messed up because the dmz doesnt even work if I try. The wan ip the router is getting is 69.24.xxx.xx. Thanks every one for trying to help. I'm mad. I may just go out and buy a 50 dollar linksys and be done with this crap :p

And, the dsl modem has nothing fancy. its just what came from the isp. It just has one cable going to the phoneline in the wall, one for power, and one goin to my pc. Also if it means anything, I cant get ports or passed the firewall if I'm directly connected to the router (hardwired) or wirelessly connected.

Homer said:
Well, I know for sure its not any firewall program on my pc. I tried after I did a reformat. Also, obviously I know its not working and not because I have ports messed up because the dmz doesnt even work if I try. The wan ip the router is getting is 69.24.xxx.xx. Thanks every one for trying to help. I'm mad. I may just go out and buy a 50 dollar linksys and be done with this crap :p

And, the dsl modem has nothing fancy. its just what came from the isp. It just has one cable going to the phoneline in the wall, one for power, and one goin to my pc. Also if it means anything, I cant get ports or passed the firewall if I'm directly connected to the router (hardwired) or wirelessly connected.

Is there any interface of any kinda to enter and modify the settings in the modem? Who is the ISP and who made the modem? YOu may very likely have gotten a "dumb" modem that doesn't allow servers of any kind to be placed on the ISP network so they created a specially designed firmware that controls the modem completey and the end user can't screw with it. If thats the case, your not gonna get servers running no matter what you do.

And I hate to say it, but belkins are absolute POS. I would take it back and get a Linksys or D-Link of some kind.

But I'm pretty sure its not the modem, atleast I dont think it is. because I can run servers and shit just fine when I'm not using the router.

yeah. I know. I dont like this belkin. but I've had it too long to take it back. I'll keep my eye on a good deal on another linksys from somewhere around here, hoping that fixes my "no server" problem.

Homer said:
But I'm pretty sure its not the modem, atleast I dont think it is. because I can run servers and shit just fine when I'm not using the router.

yeah. I know. I dont like this belkin. but I've had it too long to take it back. I'll keep my eye on a good deal on another linksys from somewhere around here, hoping that fixes my "no server" problem.

Pick up a Linksys WRT54g either here cheap or a brand new one at Wal-Mart for $60, you'll love it. We tried to do a VPN install for one of our clients with this POS Belkin that we bought in a hurry and no matter what we tried with that damn thing, we couldn['t get the VPN or Terminal Services to fucking work. Soon as we ripped it out and threw in a basic linksys, worked like a charm.

IceWind said:
Pick up a Linksys WRT54g either here cheap or a brand new one at Wal-Mart for $60, you'll love it. We tried to do a VPN install for one of our clients with this POS Belkin that we bought in a hurry and no matter what we tried with that damn thing, we couldn['t get the VPN or Terminal Services to fucking work. Soon as we ripped it out and threw in a basic linksys, worked like a charm.

Also if you get the WRT54g or WRT54GS you can get a modified bios that will increase it's capabilities a lot. At the cost of voiding your warrenty though.
But if you get one used from here or ebay then you don't really have a warrenty anyway.

I've been thinking about doing the same thing.

Back