RO preloading on Steam

[H]ard|Gawd
You can now preload Red Orchestra Ostfront 41-45 on Steam

Valentine's Day 2006 marks the moment when Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 goes on sale via Steam. If you already have a Steam account, simply start up Steam and follow through the Steam news to pre-order. If you don't yet have a Steam account, but want to pre-order Ostfront, then jump over to www.steampowered.com, download Steam and set yourself up an account - your Steam account is completely free.

http://www.redorchestragame.com/index.php

I don't really understand why VALVE is helping distributing RO, isn't it a direct competition to DOD:S?

aznpxdd said:
I don't really understand why VALVE is helping distributing RO, isn't it a direct competition to DOD:S?

While I don't know how much truth your post holds, I can explain why.

If people are going to buy RO, they are going to buy it. Valve might as well make some money off of it by buying it through Steam.

Ok, I first played this game a few releases into it, and it really really really sucked.... badly. The bots were horrible, the whole thing was just horrible. But now I see a bunch of praise.

And wow I just watched the gameplay trailer off of steam news... wow... looks incredible now, and totally updated.

Is this still for UT? (which version?)

Or is it Half-life based now since it's on steam?

Here's the trailer...

http://storefront.steampowered.com/video/RedOrchestra_Trailer.wmv

Luxor said:
Ok, I first played this game a few releases into it, and it really really really sucked.... badly. The bots were horrible, the whole thing was just horrible. But now I see a bunch of praise.

And wow I just watched the gameplay trailer off of steam news... wow... looks incredible now, and totally updated.

Is this still for UT? (which version?)

Or is it Half-life based now since it's on steam?

Here's the trailer...

http://storefront.steampowered.com/video/RedOrchestra_Trailer.wmv

It's on the Unreal engine, but its not a mod for UT2004. The Red Orchestra team won the Make Something Unreal contest, the prize being rights to the Unreal engine. So, they turned their mod into a stand alone product which is being distributed via steam. However, IIRC, the game now has a singple player component. The mod, to my knowledge, was only MP. Not 100% sure on either of these statements though.

Red Orchestra = UT2004 mod, WW2 realism style. It had/has its quirks and annoyances, but is a solid game. Singeplayer is nonexistant (you can TRY loading a map and having bots stand in spawn, but it's a multiplayer game).

Red Orchestra Ostfront = Unreal Tournament Engine based game, since the RO devs won the Make Something Unreal contest. It's essentially Red Orchestra with most (if not all) bugs and annoyances fixed, waaaay updated graphics, and a few new gameplay elements like leaning and diving to prone...

I've been waiting on this for a looooooong while. Definitely gonna be worth paying for, methinks.

THANK GOD NO MORE KOITOS AND DANZIG.

yup, i liked RO for UT2004.....i might just have to get this if its all fixed up, and has a decent player base to it....

I played alot while it was still free. With the bugs addressed this is gonna be a classic game.

That's probably because they were using a lot of MGs to make it look stylish.. tracers and whatnot.

All other weapons have no bullet trails/indicators, except for when they hit you and you fall over.

Well, I don't know about light vehicles/20mm cannons and whatnot though, but the above applies for infantry.

aznpxdd said:
For some reason..the bullets looked like laser in the trailer to me.
The Russians used green tracers and one of the devs said they look like lasers in the trailer because the video is running at 24fps.

Back