rMBP has an A-TW polarizer?

So I've been reading up on A-TW polarizers that the NEC displays used to have, and found that in addition to reducing the IPS glow, they also introduce some red/green hues when viewed off angle. This sounded a lot like what I see on my rMBP display, so I decided to compare it to my NEC 20WMGX2 (no a-tw) w/ a dark background and see the difference. I think this display must have an A-TW polarizer or something. Take a look:

oawVtl.jpg

Also here's the picture of a 2490Wuxi (a-tw) and HP LP2475W (no a-tw). Pretty similar difference, no?

scaled.php

Oh and please don't mind the mess. this isn't my usual room.

Last edited:
Ok, but how often do you look at your laptop screen at that extreme of an angle?

Ok, but how often do you look at your laptop screen at that extreme of an angle?

Well... the closer you sit, the more extreme the angles are from your eyes to the edge of the screen. Or if you're trying to show something to a friend/coworker, it can make a difference. I don't necessarily need to make the angle that extreme to make the glow apparent either. It was just easier to photograph with an extreme.

In any case, I'm not really concerned about the necessity -- I wouldn't have bought this laptop in the first place if I only got what was necessary. I just find it interesting that they seem to have implemented the A-TW polarizer since pretty much every other manufacturer stopped using them (presumably due to cost).

Just to illustrate that it doesn't have to be an extreme angle, here's a couple more pictures.

First one is straight on - shows that both screens have relatively similar blacks (the colors are off, I know) and that no glow is apparent when viewed straight on.
mzEsXl.jpg

But shift to a relatively minor angle, and you start getting some glow. I don't know about you guys, but I do occasionally shift positions while I'm sitting at my desk, so this is a nice feature IMO.

MTdJ4l.jpg

My apologies, I thought you were complaining about the colors.

Ah. Yeah, the colors (red/green corners) bugged me at first - but now that I realize what the trade-off is, I'll gladly accept them. It's only noticeable on completely black screens anyway

Back