Rise of the Tomb Raider - Xbone Exclusive

It better be a timed exclusive.

Yeah. I beat the first one on my PS4 and would rather play it on the PS4 as it looked and played better for me (having tried both).

If anything I'll play it on the PC instead. Which I'm sure it'll be on. Pretty stupid to sell the game on just one platform when SE is doing so poorly.

This was a surprise for sure causes the biggest shitting of the bed on GAF right now.

Probably timed but big none the less.

Yeah. I beat the first one on my PS4 and would rather play it on the PS4 as it looked and played better for me (having tried both).

If anything I'll play it on the PC instead. Which I'm sure it'll be on. Pretty stupid to sell the game on just one platform when SE is doing so poorly.

Sounds like PC is out as well. Quote from Crystal Dynamics -

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/12/5994211/the-next-tomb-raider-is-an-xbox-exclusive

This doesn't mean that we're walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4.

Ugh. I guess I'll have to play it on Xbone then. The game is too good to pass up!

Square owns Crystal Dynamics.

That's nice but my point is Microsoft studios is publishing not square which explains this sure square owns the crystal dynamics studio.

Probably get a pc port later then maybe a 2016 ps4 version just guessing.

MS needed something like this. While I don't necessarily like it (I want a PC version), it makes sense to lock-up more exclusives.

Previous "XBox exclusives" includes such games as Mass Effect, Dead Rising 3 and Ryse. No doubt we'll see the "Definitive Version" on PC later if nothing else.

And no Microsoft, no amounts of moneyhatting will get me to pay for an XBone.

That's nice but my point is Microsoft studios is publishing not square which explains this sure square owns the crystal dynamics studio.

Probably get a pc port later then maybe a 2016 ps4 version just guessing.

At least MS will probably have less insane expectations and success requirements for Rise than SE had for last game. Still Square had to sign off on this deal and all the publishing agreements so by extension they are doing this. On the other hand, given SE's financial situation lately this might be a good move for them on the short term. Their big Japanese titles like FFXV and KH3 are not likely to be out anytime soon so a bunch of money and publishing agreement with MS is helpful for them. Assuming it all pays off with a successful game, of course.

What does it say about companies when they don't want to speak plainly about whether or not an exclusive is timed or not, just repeating weasel-words that PR crafted?

What does it say about companies when they don't want to speak plainly about whether or not an exclusive is timed or not, just repeating weasel-words that PR crafted?

Because saying it's timed exclusive would piss off the people giving them money? Most PR for video games is several kinds of bullshit but not talking about a product possibly going to competing product is common sense.

Totally lame. I would understand if the first TR was xbox only, but it wasn't. So this is lame. I won't pick it up unless it comes out on PC or PS4.

Because saying it's timed exclusive would piss off the people giving them money? Most PR for video games is several kinds of bullshit but not talking about a product possibly going to competing product is common sense.

They know the terms but won't talk about them because they know that lying is better than letting the real terms be known, because the real terms reflects poorly upon them. That's the simple truth. When you're actively misdirecting and misinforming your customers (aka lying) you're on a shady path. I think I'd rather not do business with such people actually.

They know the terms but won't talk about them because they know that lying is better than letting the real terms be known, because the real terms reflects poorly upon them. That's the simple truth. When you're actively misdirecting and misinforming your customers (aka lying) you're on a shady path. I think I'd rather not do business with such people actually.

If you read enough PR from the video game industry you will see that everyone lies in one form or another. Whether it's outright or simple misdirection. The agreements Crystal and Square made with MS very likely prevent them from saying whether or not it is a timed exclusive. They can't say anything other than "It's coming to Xbox exclusively in 2015". That's how these contracts work. From MS' side it's common sense to include those stipulations in the agreement and for Crystal going against that would piss MS off.

My post from the PC thread:

"Hey guys! I just brokered an exclusive deal with MS for the Xbox One!!!! Now we can have exclusive rights to the console with the worst market share!" - Dumbest.CEO.Ever.

Dumb decision by Square Enix. Even dumber decision by MS, considering how much money they must have thrown at SE to take the deal. Tomb Raider is not a system seller in most people's eyes. Now I'm pissed I am gong to have to wait til 2016 to get this on PC.

Seriously? Fuck this. I absolutely LOVED the refresh, and they are going to put the sequel on the one system that I don't have. I'm so pissed right now. I don't think I've ever seen a sequel to a muliplatform game suddenly become an exclusive before....probably because it's a terrible idea.

Guess I'm too old to be offended by this. For most of my life the best games have be exclusive to one platform or another.

If you read enough PR from the video game industry you will see that everyone lies in one form or another. Whether it's outright or simple misdirection. The agreements Crystal and Square made with MS very likely prevent them from saying whether or not it is a timed exclusive. They can't say anything other than "It's coming to Xbox exclusively in 2015". That's how these contracts work. From MS' side it's common sense to include those stipulations in the agreement and for Crystal going against that would piss MS off.

Sadly this was the sort of one-step answer I was expecting (almost wrote in a disclaimer, oh well).

1) Everyone (if we accept that) doing it doesn't make it acceptable. "It's how it is...". No.

2) I'm well aware that what they can say is dictated by contracts, but please think one step further; they signed those contracts willingly, so it's not like it's a defense. "Sorry, we're lying but it's because we agreed between us to do it so... you know... no harm, right?". No.

If you go to a restaurant and get shitty service and a waiter that's condescending, do you go back there later when they announce a new item? No.

I hear they have another Tomb Raider game they want to peddle to us peasants. Will I be buying it? No.

Guess I'm too old to be offended by this. For most of my life the best games have be exclusive to one platform or another.

I don't think anyone is mad about exclusive games in general. I think most people are upset that the original game was a multiplatform title that a lot of people enjoyed, and the sequel is now a possible exclusive, cutting out a major chunk of the games fan base.

Sadly this was the sort of one-step answer I was expecting (almost wrote in a disclaimer, oh well).

1) Everyone (if we accept that) doing it doesn't make it acceptable. "It's how it is...". No.

2) I'm well aware that what they can say is dictated by contracts, but please think one step further; they signed those contracts willingly, so it's not like it's a defense. "Sorry, we're lying but it's because we agreed between us to do it so... you know... no harm, right?". No.

If you go to a restaurant and get shitty service and a waiter that's condescending, do you go back there later when they announce a new item? No.

I hear they have another Tomb Raider game they want to peddle to us peasants. Will I be buying it? No.

I'm not saying I like it (me calling PR several layers of bullshit earlier should have made my thoughts on the matter clear) I'm simply explaining why things are like they are. Take it or leave it that is what video game PR is these days. I may not like the way PR is done in the video game industry but quite frankly I only care about the final product. My reaction to anything beyond them discussing the game is the "smile and nod" response. Simply to not pay much attention and let it go without much care. It would be nice if everyone could be honest, but contracts are contracts. The person from Crystal talking has no more power to change those contracts then you or I do. He's paid to do his job and if he doesn't he no longer has a job. That's the way the world works man, everything isn't black and white.

MS needed something like this. While I don't necessarily like it (I want a PC version), it makes sense to lock-up more exclusives.

Why do people support the exclusive bullshit? Its a sorry immoral excuse to force people to buy your crappy product

Why do people support the exclusive bullshit? Its a sorry immoral excuse to force people to buy your crappy product

It seems like the whole world runs on "exclusivity" though. Different restaurants carry either Pepsi or Coke, but not both. Bars carry different beers or liquors based on their distributor. There are plenty of Windows apps and features that aren't on the Mac and vice versa. Ditto with Android and iOS. Not everything comes to Netflix streaming, HBO, Showtime, etc. - you have to choose or buy 'em all. I just don't see the big deal. It's how the world works.
It seems pretty logical for a company to want to lock up exclusive content. While I'm sure it will probably stir up some boycott claims...how many of those boycotters actually have an Xbox One and will still refuse to buy it out of principle? How many will remember that they're supposed to be mad if/when the exclusivity is over?
If I were MS I'd do everything in my power to lockdown as much as I could. They aren't going to win the hardware battle, but you can sell systems by locking down the games people want.
Besides, why does it have to be a crappy product? That's quite the assumption.

Why are people so offended by exclusivity in one direction but not the other? How much of an outrage would there be if uncharted was suddenly a micrsoft exclusive while originally being PS? Get the fuck over it, if you want the game by the platform that its on. I own all 3 for that very reason.

Seems pretty clear from how they've kept contorting themselves over they day that this is in fact a timed exclusive.

There is something rotten in a world where so much 'power' is derived from sustaining this lie for the year+ till the game is out.

I know it's a lie.
You know it's a lie.
The press better know it's a lie.
MS and SE definitely know it's a lie...

... but let's all just pretend that the exclusivity is true so that maybe a few more people buy an XBone next year, alright everyone?

Spencer would commit to nothing beyond saying that Rise of the Tomb Raider will be exclusive in “holiday 2015”. Nor would he budge from the “exclusively on Xbox” wording, suggesting that an Xbox 360 could at least be conceivable.

"We're saying what we said on stage," he added. "We had a lot of similar questions around Titanfall and the structure of our deal is a business relationship that's frankly between us and Square Enix.

"In Holiday 2015, Rise of the Tomb Raider will be exclusive to Xbox. That's the comment.”
-- http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox...ity-a-win-win-although-details-remain-unclear

Phil Spencer ladies and gentlemen, the bringer of a renewed focus on PC gaming! No comment necessary, really.

"A spokesman for Square Enix, Crystal Dynamic's owner, was unable to say whether the exclusivity deal had an expiration date." -- http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28754858

Sure he was 'unable to say'.. you know, because of the agreement with MS to not talk about that? Ssshhhh now.. no more truth, only lies.

I guess at this point all we can hope for is that the storm doesn't grow so large that MS feel the need to go back and 'alter the deal' and lock it in as a real exclusive.

Last edited:
While I'm sure it will probably stir up some boycott claims...how many of those boycotters actually have an Xbox One and will still refuse to buy it out of principle?

A boycott would IMO target Square Enix and Crystal Dynamic. It would also not target ROTTR, it would target their OTHER games. You know... like the other TR game they were insultingly trying to offer up in their PR, or the forthcoming Deus Ex maybe.

I have a lot of games, I can do without those. I set up personal boycotts from time to time, but I make them timed[0]. Gaming wise, Blizzard (for bnetd/DMCA) and SEGA (for DMCA) have been on my list.

[0] If you didn't, you'd eventually starve to death in a cave.

Why are people so offended by exclusivity in one direction but not the other? How much of an outrage would there be if uncharted was suddenly a micrsoft exclusive while originally being PS? Get the fuck over it, if you want the game by the platform that its on. I own all 3 for that very reason.

This was your response to the Destiny thread I created:

There is some crappy practices with this game that may make me not want to buy it period. Season DLC pass is the same price for both consoles yet one has exclusive content.

So you were upset so much about some minor exclusive content that you were contemplating not buying a game just because of it. Then you complain about how others are upset about an entire game becoming exclusive, and tell them to get over it. Trying to understand what your thought process is.

Can you please explain how it is immoral? Or how you are forced to buy a crappy product? Is there a gun to your head?

This was your response to the Destiny thread I created:

So you were upset so much about some minor exclusive content that you were contemplating not buying a game just because of it. Then you complain about how others are upset about an entire game becoming exclusive, and tell them to get over it. Trying to understand what your thought process is.

Because a multiplat game should be truely multiplat with identical release dates and release dates of content should be the same. How is that so hard to grasp? Exclusive title is an exclusive title and multiplat is multiplat

Because a multiplat game should be truely multiplat with identical release dates and release dates of content should be the same. How is that so hard to grasp? Exclusive title is an exclusive title and multiplat is multiplat

But it is truly a multiplatform as the exclusive content is only timed. Why are you being so insolent when I brought up a contradiction in your argument and only asked for clarification?

Why are you being so insolent when I brought up a contradiction in your argument and only asked for clarification?

Feel free to join me in "This message is hidden because VladDracule is on your ignore list." land. I have experience with this specimen :)

But it is truly a multiplatform as the exclusive content is only timed. Why are you being so insolent when I brought up a contradiction in your argument and only asked for clarification?

I did clarify. I clarified 100% by saying that multiplatform titles need to be truely multiplatform including content which includes release timelines. Your the one being insolent.

I did clarify. I clarified 100% by saying that multiplatform titles need to be truely multiplatform including content which includes release timelines. Your the one being insolent.

Do you understand what insolent means? Statements like "how hard is that to grasp," when asking for clarification is rude and arrogant (insolent). And judging by the fact that you tried to use that against me (incorrectly) makes me realize that discussing any matter with you is pointless. I understand where your negative reputation on this board comes from.

And just for clarification, this post I just made is insolent, but well deserved.

Back