Ridiculous Core 2 Duo temps!

Sanitarium

[H]ard|Gawd
I just built a new system the other day with a Core 2 Duo E6400 and an EVGA 680i motherboard. I placed an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 on it and my temps are insanely high, 60c idle according to the Intel thermal tool. Over 80c under load. I've taken the AC7 off and placed the stock cooler on with the same result only a few degrees cooler, 54c idle, 75-80c under load. I've used Arctic Sliver 5 each time with the directions from their site. I've also taken every step to ensure the heat sinks have been seated properly. Needless to say I'm at a loss. The case it's all in is a Lian-Li PC-V1000B PLUS II and I've taken every step I can think of to maximize airflow. Is there some problem with the EVGA board with temp reporting? In the BIOS the temp is reported as 40c. I'm also using Vista, could that be an issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

what is the temperature reading when you enter BIOS setup.
i expect you will find its much lower.

take the difference and subtract it for the actual reading.

besides if it really got that hot it would probably shut down or crash.

when you reseated your freezer, did you check that there was even contact? sometimes the IHS on Intel's CPUs are concave...

those are insane temps though. i'm surprised your system is even working like that....

I have same situation, my core is a 54Cin intelTAT, and showme 61C in the nvmonitor, is weird because the temp system are in 36C, I remenber my opty 165 on asus sli premiun have core 42Cfull load(with my 120xp), system 35,,,,,,,,,for now in this time I'm running orthos and have in core 52C (itat) 61C(nvmonitor), system (nvmonitor)36C.......

and now is good beacause 2 days ago I have 70Cidle, I remove some AS5 of the cpu and run better...........any sugestion

Silly question, but did you adjust your fan settings in BIOS yet? If not, go into Hardware Monitor, Fan Control and set the fan controls to manuel, 100% and Enable Vreg.

Back