Review of (and discussion of problems with) the new 7040 motherboard for Framework laptops

1_rick

Supreme [H]ardness
https://zach.codes/p/a-developers-review-framework-13

Lot of stuff that doesn't quite work yet, but they're improving, especially in Linux. Some complaints about guides being spread out across multiple pages. Then, there's this, which I think might be of interest here:

The first night as I am writing this, I did some coding work, had it on performance mode, had it sitting with the lid closed during the day, and started out with a 90% charge limit that I set in the BIOS.

I closed the lid at 16% and in the morning I opened it at….

8% (after around 10 hours)

Not bad! I think this is close to Mac level but not quite all the way there.

Definitely solid enough that you can leave the laptop unplugged and closed during the day between breaks and other things and it is going to save most of the power!

It sounds to me like he's saying he's using the laptop with an external monitor.

https://zach.codes/p/a-developers-review-framework-13

Lot of stuff that doesn't quite work yet, but they're improving, especially in Linux. Some complaints about guides being spread out across multiple pages. Then, there's this, which I think might be of interest here:

It sounds to me like he's saying he's using the laptop with an external monitor.
Sounds to me like they did an idle test, common AMD complaint is how the different power modes change how the laptop behaves when it’s in sleep or standby modes.

Performance mode is notably the worst as it often leaves WiFi on or drives powered stuff like that. They are also notorious for what happens if the battery dies while in standby with the lid closed. Requiring the good old, “plug it in and hold the power, count to 20 and when you see the screen flash, release the power button and then try to boot it normally” method.

So with just about any previous AMD laptop series, ending the day at 16% closing the lid and going to bed for a normal amount of time, would have resulted in a dead battery and a laptop that doesn’t want to boot come morning.

That right there is the test that impresses me most.

Sounds to me like they did an idle test, common AMD complaint is how the different power modes change how the laptop behaves when it’s in sleep or standby modes.

Performance mode is notably the worst as it often leaves WiFi on or drives powered stuff like that. They are also notorious for what happens if the battery dies while in standby with the lid closed. Requiring the good old, “plug it in and hold the power, count to 20 and when you see the screen flash, release the power button and then try to boot it normally” method.

So with just about any previous AMD laptop series, ending the day at 16% closing the lid and going to bed for a normal amount of time, would have resulted in a dead battery and a laptop that doesn’t want to boot come morning.

My Zephyrus doesn't do that, but it apparently came set up out of the box to got into hibernate after a couple of hours so i never have that experience

If I recall correctly, battery drain during sleep was also a problem with the first framework model running on linux.

Back