Reversing a Webpages .CFM lookup??

travanx

[H]ard|Gawd
I am at a webpage where you can type a map number, ex. 54000, in a box and get information, ex. 355-13-14. The webpage is index.cfm I was wondering is there a way to somehow make the webpage database enter the information 355-13-14 to return the map number, 54000?

I am trying to get ahold of the person who made the webpage to just add this feature, but everyone who works there is very slow, and was hoping I could somehow come up with a way to do this on my own for the time being.

the url is http://ladpw.org/ldd/dmr/index.cfm

Well, it's theoretically possible from a database/programming standpoint, in that A implies B can coexist with B implies A.

However, there are several problems:
1) does B imply A uniquely? If not, don't bother. For example, 37203 implies Nashville, TN, but Nashville, TN does not imply 37203 (there's a bunch more zip codes than that).
2) You as an end user can't affect it anyway. That all has to be programmed on the server side. Maybe if you got a copy of all their software and database from them, you could hack it yourself. As a rule, though, end users cannot alter the fundamental behavior of web pages sent from a server.

ok thanks, just wanted to check if there was some way to manipulate the database from the user side. But yes the 355-13-14 would be unique to map 54000. and i would already know all the numbers i am looking for like 355-13-14. But i dont know what map they refer to, so thats why i was hoping to input those number to get the map number.

I guess my only hope is that the programmer of that webpage gets my email that I sent to someone who would forward it to the appropriate person.

well, another way to do it would be a script on your end. you could make a perl script which would get the "index.cfm" with the parameter set from 0 to 1000000 or so. seperate the result into a single value with a m//. then write the results to a hash or a flat text file, and search that reverse-indexed. dumb, but it'd work.

Wow now thats an interesting idea. But of course I have no clue of how to do that, but I get the basic idea of what you are saying to do. The only downside is that as things get updated my database would need to run from 0-100000??? periodically because the maps dont have to get finalized in any order. Which isnt a very big deal to redo the database text file every month or so.

It would save me roughly 10 hours of stupid research trying to find this information each month. Since I have to drive 30 miles to the county and spend time in the building looking for these stupid numbers. Kind of why I assume they will eventually make the change to the webpage, since it is a useful feature.

But is there any chance this is simple enough for you to program?? Just in case it actually is easy for you to make. :cool: And of course I dont think they will get around to changing it since it is a govt. website.

Just in case, I only need it for the parcel map section, not the tract maps. Its complicated to explain why, but I only need the parcel maps.

Back