Reusing promedia 4.1 speakers

BigJavy

Lurker
A while ago (after a move across the country), my klipsch 4.1's stopped working. It's not the fuse and I don't know enough about this kind of stuff to figure out what else it could be. I was thinking of having klipsch repair them so I contacted them a month or two ago about how to send them in. I couldn't spare the $60+shipping at the time though so I was going to put it off until now. Turns out, two weeks ago, klipsch stopped repairing the 4.1's (including the v2 400's) because the "electronics repair parts are no longer available". Aren't they just standard parts you could get from, like, Radio Shack?

Anyways, all I'm wondering (long story for an easy question) is could I pick up a HT receiver and use my 4 sats as part of a 4.1 system? If so, would they sound good at all?

Also, they offered to sell me a set of Ultra 5.1's for $250. Sound like a good deal?

Jason

Hrmm... maybe I can post some more details and it will help someone answer me. Klipsch says that the 4.1 sats are "minimum 4 ohm". The receiver I was thinking of getting is the Yamaha HTR-5860 which says "in order to use 4 or 6 ohm speakers, adjust the impedance to 4 ohm". Soooooooo that should work, right? There's nothing else I need to make sure of?

Thanks!

Jason

.you can get a 5.1 channel reciver from best buy or circut city for under $100 (sherwood or integera on sale) and do a phantom center channel ..or buy a center channel from klipsch ( http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=784 ) for about $30 with shipping and have a 5. channel system but no subwoofer . a lot of the EX cxapable recivers have the ability to use the 6th or 7ts channel to power a subwoofer so you could remove the amp on your klipsch sub-disconect the sub from the amp attach a speaker wire cup to the woofer mounting to the cabnet and then connect to reciver..a lil work but not difficult.....dont forget to remount the amp or use a thick peice of plywood to cover its former opening . the yamaha is a great reciver but is over kill for the lil klipsch speakers and can blow them if youre not careful and very reserved on the its power ability.....good luck

almost forgot...250 for the ultras are probally referbished..still a good deal in my opinion compared to their normal price.but after seeing so many people on here having problems with their klipsch i went for creativs megaworks system and couldnt be happier

You can use the sats from a 4.1. See if your amp can handle it. 4 ohm can be a bit tough to drive. The more power the better. I drive mine with my Onkyo (see sig). They work fine and loud and clear. I did check with a Onkyo rep, who checked with support. The WRAT amps can handle 4 ohms.

Thanks for all the info! I was thinking of getting the yamaha because I don't plan on using the klipsch sats forever... just for now while I save up for something else. I was planning on doing the yamaha w/ some fluances or athena's or something cheap but not bad... but if I can get by w/ my klipsch sats, i'll save up longer for something nice.

oh... i guess it'd help if i'd mentioned i was planning on using these for home theater... not computer. But I guess whenever I do get better speakers, I could pick up a cheaper receiver to use w/ my pc.

Back