Return of the King: AMD HD 5970

Sorry if this question was already answered, but do we have an estimated date for 5970 to be released? If not what do you guys estimate? And in terms of % how much better do you guys think this will be compared to 5870? Im thinking of getting 5870 next week or so and trying to see if i should wait
NDA ends on the 19th

The problem is *supply*; AMD is having trouble even getting samples to the review sites
:(

NDA ends on the 19th

The problem is *supply*; AMD is having trouble even getting samples to the review sites

Yeah, I'm wondering what the logic is behind releasing this card now. There is no contender from nVidia, and they can't even produce enough chips for the single gpus. They practically have the crown as it is - they've rendered the 295 obsolete at its price point.

Yeah, I'm wondering what the logic is behind releasing this card now. There is no contender from nVidia, and they can't even produce enough chips for the single gpus. They practically have the crown as it is - they've rendered the 295 obsolete at its price point.

Bragging rights; publicity. i.e. they can release DX11 cards and Nvidia can only wait for final Fermi.

NDA ends on the 19th

There going from shipping one card, now two cards in one. This card is going to be so rare.

20 5870s makes 10 5970s.

CUDA, Folding, 3D?

These are features that the average user can live without much less know what it is.

You seem to have good contacts.
So do you think a 5970 XTX version is in the works?

No. Not imo. AMD is holding back a "big surprise" in Q1 but if their clockspeeds on the 5970 are only 725/1010, they clearly have power/thermal issues with their X2.

If AMD is handpicking Cypress chips for 5870's XTX, it is unlikely that they would use them for their X2 unless they can get their power/heat issues much lower. Perhaps later.

But this is all speculation now. With the supplies so limited, who really knows?

Any source of the "big suprise" or is it rumour? :)

AMD leaked it to a reliable source.

But consider it rumor until there is something more concrete. A lot of times it is misdirection for their competitor. AMD knows nothing about Fermi and they fear.

At least they got 1.25B from intel to keep the lights on
;)

Just saw that, 1.25, jesem.... No clue if that's what was needed but I'm sure it's a hell of a shot in the arm to AMD

it didn't take long for the 9800GX2 to become primarily a CUDA/folder's card. That is the main reason they still carry any resale value these days. I would expect the GTX295 to be the same thing once fermi comes out. That is unless Fermi kicks the crap out of the 295 on ppd/watt.

Is there any difference in the GPU itself between any of the 59 or 58 series cards? If it's just the PCB difference there is a good chance that building 59*0s is contributing to the rarity of the 58*0s.

I'd agree on that.

AMD should be stockpiling the GPU parts to make sure of a better 'hard launch' of the 5970.

First shipment incoming:

Again, I talked to my major wholesale agent here in europe and he said that in 10 days he is getting 5 samples of this card.

5. For a wholesale company.

That means that the biggest retailers are going to get 1-2 cards maximum if they squeeze everything out of the 3 wholesale companies in the country.

Tiv

First shipment incoming:

Again, I talked to my major wholesale agent here in europe and he said that in 10 days he is getting 5 samples of this card.

5. For a wholesale company.

That means that the biggest retailers are going to get 1-2 cards maximum if they squeeze everything out of the 3 wholesale companies in the country.

Tiv

You are talking about the second shipment.. The first *tiny* shipment is for internal testing and it is today. Some major tech sites will also get one
;)

You are talking about the second shipment.. The first *tiny* shipment is for internal testing and it is today. Some major tech sites will also get one
;)

Hehe yea I guess so, however "my" shipment is targeted for retail though which is what is important :)

There going from shipping one card, now two cards in one. This card is going to be so rare.

20 5870s makes 10 5970s.

CUDA, Folding, 3D?

These are features that the average user can live without much less know what it is.
Ha!
And I am sure the average user is a lot more familiar with DX11 and Eyefinity right? :rolleyes:

20 5870s makes 10 5970s.

CUDA, Folding, 3D?

Ha!
And I am sure the average user is a lot more familiar with DX11 and Eyefinity right? :rolleyes:

Ha!

some what yes and those are features that impress them once they see them, unlike the nvidia crap , you must have been emotionally abused badly by recent news about nvidia, now go cry to mama;)

Ok, what is a 5 year old doing so early on a computer? Come on dude back to bed.
Oh and next time you say something, at least make sure not to make a fool of yourself.
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about...but hey, don't worry I won't tell anyone kid. ;)

PS Of my 3 main computer two have ATI cards....so much for your theory eh kid?

So does the release of the 5970 next week mean that we will have crossfire working with eyefinity?

It looks like this is a dual GPU card. Am I correct?

Yes, basically for whatever reason ATI decided to change their naming scheme up a bit this generation. The idea is to use the phrase '5890' instead of '5870x2' this time around. I'm not exactly sure why though. I guess its to help avoid confusion that a 5890 will be the same performance as '2' 5870s? Since two 5870s are seperate cards they tend to have higher clock speeds and might perform a tiny bit better than a 5890 though the 5890 will probably be cheaper than 2 5870s.

I think it might be confusing or distressing to semi-knowledgeable computer users who go out to a store, buy a single 5870 and then a few weeks later the 5890 comes out with a slightly higher model number and go 'what the heck? it performs almost double what my card does! Dont' tell me they doubled the video card power in 3 weeks? They told me my card was brand new!!'.

I guess I think the 'x2' model number designation is almost self explanitory since it sounds like 'multiplied by two or times two' when said as a mathematical expression and I'd hope the average computer user knows what multiplication is.

Why did they give the 5970 lower clocks then a 5870? It just because of the length and the cheap cooler?

AMD leaked it to a reliable source.

But consider it rumor until there is something more concrete. A lot of times it is misdirection for their competitor. AMD knows nothing about Fermi and they fear.

At least they got 1.25B from intel to keep the lights on
;)

Thanks. :)

I read through their roadmap:
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MjAzMjR8Q2hpbGRJRD0tMXxUeXBlPTM=&t=1

Looks like they are going heavily into APU design with their "AMD Velocity". Considering Fermi is a cGPU with an ARM processor, while an APU has a X86/X64 processor with a GPU, question is: Is AMD`s "suprise" that they are countering Fermi with an APU? We've all been expecting that AMD would integrate ATI GPU's in their processor at some time after they bought ATI. Roadmap suggests that the designs are ready.

There is also the rumor about "multicore GPU", where several GPU's are slapped together acting as one.

Thanks. :)

I read through their roadmap:
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MjAzMjR8Q2hpbGRJRD0tMXxUeXBlPTM=&t=1

Looks like they are going heavily into APU design with their "AMD Velocity". Considering Fermi is a cGPU with an ARM processor, while an APU has a X86/X64 processor with a GPU, question is: Is AMD`s "suprise" that they are countering Fermi with an APU? We've all been expecting that AMD would integrate ATI GPU's in their processor at some time after they bought ATI. Roadmap suggests that the designs are ready.

There is also the rumor about "multicore GPU", where several GPU's are slapped together acting as one.
Where do you get Fermi is anything with an ARM processor?
:confused:

I'll see if I can find the link. :)
Search gives me a lot about Tegra, but not so much about Fermi. Can't remember where I read it.

i was at NVIDIA's GTC and i read all the white papers and i don't believe they are at all related. Fermi is a GPU that is primarily built for GPU computing.

i was at NVIDIA's GTC and i read all the white papers and i don't believe they are at all related. Fermi is a GPU that is primarily built for GPU computing.

Fermi is supposed to be a GPU and more. I'll retract it until I find the source though. :)

Back