Resurrecting my WHS, what drive load out?

oldpablo

Supreme [H]ardness
A long time ago my WHS motherboard died, and I simple pulled the drives and attached them to my media center because I was busy. Fast forward to today and I'm ready to resurrect it. The question I have is how to deploy the three 1.5TB drives I now have at my disposal AND do you think I should do WHS v1 or v2. I loved the deduplication of v1 and the easy add/remove of any size drive at any time, but I imagine there are probably some benefits to using the new one despite the removal of these wonderful options. Here is what I have to work with and I can add more later if necessary:

Two 1.5TB 7200RPM and one 1.5TB 5900RPM drive

So do I do:

*3TB RAID0 with 1.5TB backup drive for the most critical?
*Let WHS v1 use both drives as one pool and do it's job duplicating the important stuff.
*Seperate data to both 1.5TB drives and backup again to the 5900?
*Other things

I'm pretty sure all the things I care about right now will fit inside one 1.5TB drive.

if anything you should do raid 1. if you need the performance of raid 0 for a file you should just store it locally on a raid 0 or ssd... the last thing you want is your server failing

granted i have never had a drive fail but the risk is present

like for pictures, movies, music or basically anything you would put on whs raid 0 is not necessary so why take the risk

Isn't that RAID5, only RAID5 doesn't have all the work involved?

I know RAID isn't backup- but you should have external backups anyway.

I guess it just seems to make the backup redundant if I do RAID1, which was my original thought. I'm not taking the backup offsite or anything after all.

Isn't that RAID5, only RAID5 doesn't have all the work involved?

I know RAID isn't backup- but you should have external backups anyway.

No I wouldn't be doing three drives all together with parity. Just pairing the 7200RPM together and using the 5900 to backup anything important off of them.

do you think I should do WHS v1 or v2.
Great article on which WHS you should go with:
http://www.wegotserved.com/2011/04/07/windows-home-server-windows-home-server-2011-worth-upgrading

So do I do:

*Let WHS v1 use both drives as one pool and do it's job duplicating the important stuff.
*Seperate data to both 1.5TB drives and backup again to the 5900?
*Other things

I'm pretty sure all the things I care about right now will fit inside one 1.5TB drive.
#1 is just plain insane IMO to do with your data.
#2 is the tried and true method. Though it does have its share of issues
#3 is the better of the three listed options so far if you can turn that 5900 drive into an external drive.
#4 is something I'm still thinking on.

I guess it just seems to make the backup redundant if I do RAID1, which was my original thought. I'm not taking the backup offsite or anything after all.

Actually it doesn't. Since the "backup" drive is still inside the server itself, it doesn't count as a backup but just another copy of the data. An actual backup is seperate from the location of the main data.

Back