Restarting, Kernel 32, File on Desktop

DeepSpin

n00b
On my HP 5310 laptop with Windows 98 ME, I've been having several problems. One is that sometimes when switching the computer on, it will restart on it's own once it gets close to loading my desktop. The screen goes black with a flashing small horizontal line and then it restarts. Another problem that I am having is sometimes on startup I'll get Kernel 32 errors. It only happens once in a while and I think the program is cmeys.exe or something like that. Yet another problem is that sometimes when I close my programs to shut down/restart, a file called, ~, gets placed on my desktop. The path for the file is C:\Windows\Desktop and the filename is just ~. It's about 200KB in size. This happens when I close Outlook Express sometimes and other programs. Finally, I'm getting an error sometimes that says "System is out of memory please close a few windows." The message is something along that line. That will pop up even when I just have AIM and MS Word open. I have 128MB Ram. I'm really getting frustrated with this PC, but I need it every day for school. Neither do I have a CD burner to transfer all my files so that I can reformat. Any advice on the problems?

Thanks

By the way, I run two virus scanners. AVG and Norton. I've done all I can to clean off viruses and such.

The first problem with the monitor sounds like low battery. I dunno, maybe not. But the low memory thing, you should close some programs and remove stuff from startup.

My battery is bad, but the restart happens when I have the AC adapter plugged in too.

Back