Restarting Issue

stop!theradio

2[H]4U
Whenever the system does any form of restarting (ie: coming out of hibernation, or simply selecting "restart"), it freezes up when the computer restarts. The first screen that shows up (where it shows Intel logo, etc) freezes. It never shows "F2 for system setup" or "F10 for boot options". It will just sit there at the Intel screen until I hard reset. If I select "shut down" from Windows, and I turn the computer on manually, I won't have this problem.

Any idea what it could be? I'm not sure where this should go since it's not necessarily a Windows problem. System in the sig, btw. Thanks in advance!

Looks more than a hardware issue than anything to me, try running everything at stock settings and speeds and see if that fixes the problem.

Aside from mice/keyboard, do you have any other devices plugged into USB? I've seen some BIOS' hang up at the logo screen if, for example, a USB flash drive is plugged in. If you remove the device, and restart, it doesn't hang up. Worth a shot.

Yeah, everything's at stock speeds right now. I've got 4 external hard drives connected to the machine, along with keyboard/mouse and a tablet. Also APC UPS is connected via USB. So you think the issue lies within all the USB devices? I'll try disconnecting all the unnecessary ones and doing a restart. Although, it would be annoying if I had to unplug/plug them in every time :-/

Thanks for your help so far, fellas :)

I figured that it is worth a try. My Dell workstation at work does that if I have a USB flash drive plugged into a primary USB port (oddly, it doesn't if it is plugged into the monitor, i.e. usb hub). This kind of reminded me of that issue. And it never hurts to try the simpler things first!

Alright, well...it was a whole separate issue. I was dual booting with Ubuntu and I put the bootloader onto a drive other than my C: drive. I decided that I wanted my 10bg of space back, but I was worried about losing the ability to boot into Windows. I had some issues, but was eventually able to restore the master boot record to all drives, and now I go straight into Windows when I start the computer, and the computer restarts fine, too.

Guess it was just a boot record issue then? :p

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Aside from mice/keyboard, do you have any other devices plugged into USB? I've seen some BIOS' hang up at the logo screen if, for example, a USB flash drive is plugged in. If you remove the device, and restart, it doesn't hang up. Worth a shot.

I see this with my USB External drives. As soon as thy are turned off, the machine is fine.

Maybe this could be it..

Back